Water Leak Advice Needed

packick

Today we fired up the newly rebuilt 322 engine in my 1955 Century. She started right up and sounds great! However we have two water leaks. One is the water pump gasket which is easy to fix. The other is coming from the driver's side front motor mount. There are 3 bolts that mount the bracket to the engine and it is the upper bolt that is leaking antifreeze. I didn't see anything in the shop manual about sealing the bolts before putting the bracket on. Could there be another reason why it is leaking? The passenger side is fine.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why there is antifreeze leaking around this motor mount bolt? If so, what is the fix? If sealer around the bolt threads is needed, what kind of sealer works best?

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by packick (see edit history)

Looking at the exploded views in the chassis book,seems the only things to cause a leak in that spot would be a freeze plug. Maybe the head gasket, but I think you'd see that. Take a paper towel and and start from the head. wipe down till you see some antifreeze to get a better idea where it's coming from.

Paul: We thought of that too. But the bolts we put in were the same ones we took out and they were all of equal length, about an inch and a half long. So we don't think that is the problem. We also thought about could the block have corroded at that point (what are the odds), or when it was hot-tanked did the metal break down at that point. But the bolts we took out were nice and clean, no corrosion. The block was also magnafluxed.

Thanks Willie. That's what I was afraid of. What type of sealer have you found to be the best for this type of situation?

Joe, On a new dry engine I would use gasket sealer ( usually permatex aviation --- the nasty brown stuff ). On this one I would use teflon tape.

Willie