1939 Coupe Express question.

Bob40

What model doors were used to make the CE doors?

I know someone made a kit to modify passenger car doors to fit the CE because I have the kit.

Were they Dictator and if they were is the glass the same as car glass.

Reason I ask is I have misplaced all the window regulators and glass and am hoping(praying)this stuff is not CE specific.

The 1929-1940 Body Parts Catalog-which I don't have handy- would be of value to you. It is available from Studebaker International. I would venture to guess the regulators are the same but the channel and glass may depend upon the coupe vs the sedan.

My apologies, per the following posts, please ignore my comments.

This is not a 39 and my comments are incorrect!

Thank heaven there are knowledgeable on this form.

Actually, the egg on my face doesn't taste too bad after it is warmed up.

There is a restored 1939 Coupe Express locally.

It was built from a Dictator 4 door according to the grandson of the original owner.

Hope this helps.

If this is not a 39, someone correct me!

post-41405-143139338765_thumb.jpg

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

That picture is of a 1937 CE. It is my understanding that the CE was built at a coach works using the body from a sedan that

was severed, a new rear of the cab placed, and also the bed. I think the doors are different, with a larger curve on the rear of the

door glass. RTQ will be the definitive authority on this. I hope he weighs in.

There is a restored 1939 Coupe Express locally.

It was built from a Dictator 4 door according to the grandson of the original owner.

Hope this helps.

If this is not a 39, someone correct me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172870[/ATTACH]

Definitely not a '39. It is a '37. Very, very little will interchange with the 1938-39 Coupe Express.

What model doors were used to make the CE doors?

I know someone made a kit to modify passenger car doors to fit the CE because I have the kit.

Were they Dictator and if they were is the glass the same as car glass.

Reason I ask is I have misplaced all the window regulators and glass and am hoping(praying)this stuff is not CE specific.

I was not aware of a kit to modify sedan doors to fit the Coupe Express. In any event the 1938 and 1939 Coupe Express had a '38 Commander 4-door (not Dictator) as a starting point. The doors would be the same as the passenger cars (4-dr) from the belt line down. All interior hardware on the doors would be the same as the 4-door passenger car. This does not include the window runs etc. that are above the belt line since the upper rear corner of the Coupe Express is rounded.

To further clarify the '37 was the last year for the Dictator. The Commander replaced the Dictator in 1938 and beyond. There are a very limited number of parts that will interchange between the '37 CE and the '38 and '39. These include the back glass, tail light and bracket, rear fenders and tail gate. Also all '39s had the '38 instrument panels since they were using up left over '38 bodies when they built the '39s.

post-30776-143139338947_thumb.jpg

That picture is of a 1937 CE. It is my understanding that the CE was built at a coach works using the body from a sedan that

was severed, a new rear of the cab placed, and also the bed. I think the doors are different, with a larger curve on the rear of the

door glass. RTQ will be the definitive authority on this. I hope he weighs in.

Actually, according to NAGS (National Auto Glass Specifications) the Coupe Express DOES use the same doorglass (as well as vent window and windshields for that matter) as the four-door Dictator in '37. Good news!

Actually, according to NAGS (National Auto Glass Specifications) the Coupe Express DOES use the same doorglass (as well as vent window and windshields for that matter) as the four-door Dictator in '37. Good news!

Yes, I was aware of that but the question was re the 1938-39 and in those models they do not interchange with the passenger cars.

Note two included pictures that apparently show that although the door glass may be the same for the Dictator and the Coupe Express (1937), the rear portion of the doors is not the same. I don't know if the CE doors will fit the Regular Coupe or Sedan, but they definitely will not interchange with the Business (Doctor's) Coupe. post-62465-143141716696_thumb.jpg:confused:

post-62465-143141716675_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 39 CE and a 39 commander. The corner of the door is different, it appears the same from the window down but there is a slight difference in the length of the door which may be attributable to build variation. I am hoping the window mechanisms are interchangible since I plan to use the ones from the commander in the CE. the interior trim on the CE has a lip for closing the door in leu of a door pull too. I am not sure the vent windows are the same.