Yet another serial number question for the experts

Guest Finespine

Guest Finespine

Hello everyone, I am new to the dodge brothers family and have hit gold finding this site. I recently purchased a 1926 DB four door sedan. She's in very rough condition and before I start on her I want to do the title work. I've read on where to find the serial number(thanks guys) and I came up with A-745-965 with an engine number of C-820-171. I want to title this properly so in looking at the production dates it looks like she was built in mid August of 1926 but is a 1927 series. So even though she looks like a 1926, flat roof line, large visor, I should title her as a 1927 correct or am I reading that wrong? I haven't figured out how to post pics yet but can try if needed. I've been surfing the forum and have found so much great information and I want to say thanks to all the people out there helping.

Welcome Finespine, Congrats on your new purchase! The early Dodge Brothers cars are built very well as you are sure to find out. Your title should read as a 1926 Dodge Brothers. Parts are not that difficult to find. Most can be re-built right in the garage. Some re-pro and original parts can be located through places like Romar, Inc in Titusville, Pa. and Myers Early Dodge Parts. Coker Tires along with others can help with rubber. We would all love to see a few photo's of your new baby. It's fairly easy to post pic's here, once you get the combination. Just hit "go advanced" then scroll down a bit to view "manage attachments" and your pic's should come up for posting purposes. Just follow the prompts and you'll be fine. Let us know what you plan to undertake first on you Dodge and ASK QUESTIONS. We are here to help out the best we can. A reprint manual is a primary thing to get hold of. Best of luck, Pete.

Yes, I can get confused easily these days Jay. BUT... IF his Dodge has a # A745965, doesn't that mean the car was built in August, 1926? I am confused on what the SERIES really means. For example; I have a Dodge car, serial# A388850. Everyone is in agreement that it is a 1925. The series is a 1926. The differences between a '25 and a '26 are many. For example, the '25 was the last year for the starter/generator. The '25 had two door hinges whereas the '26 had three per door. 1926 saw the 6 volt system instead of the old 12 volts. If the "sales year" overlaps between two years, why would, or how could the salesmen foist a sale of a 1925 Dodge onto a buyer for the new '26 model?? I really need this explained to me. Best regards, Pete.

Pete - Based on the information in the link http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf I would assume that starting in 1924 the model year started in July of 1923 to June of 1924. Prior to that the model years were based on Jan to Dec. Look at the production numbers for 1923. A small production year as it only went from Jan to June.

I'm no expert but this is how I would interpret it. Even today the next years models start showing up in the fall of the prior year.

My 25 roadster has an August 1924 production date but was titled as a 25. Jay

Jay..I agree,My '27 (A 770913,C842-314) was built about 9/11/26 and was titled in Pa from day one as a 1927.That said,I have run into a few others built slightly after mine that the owners claimed were titled as 1926 models. It appears that back then it kind of depended upon which State issued the original title,some may have still been following the old Jan/Dec (calendar)year.Bill

According to my '25 having a build date of 1925, and came with the seventeenth edition for 1925, Book Of Information, some early registration paperwork stating it being a 1925, I'll keep with the flow of things and leave it lay as a 1925 Dodge even with a series date of 1926. Poor Finespine, you must really wonder what the heck is going on here! Title your Dodge whatever you feel like doing. Just make sure it matches up with any information the registry of motor vehicles has in their computer banks!!

Hi there Finespine. I have a similar dilema. I understand the argument about series numbers but if you order parts you quote the build date. Also if you say you have a '26 model I would think 5 bearing 2 unit 6 volt car as opposed to the "fast four". I get the impression that there are quite a few parts unique to the '26 build. As to what to put down for title; I am unfamiliar with your system but I would personally ask them what they would prefer to see on the paperwork. I think the series number means different things to different people. Over here, for example, the series number sometimes related to the new model shown at the motor show for that year. A tricky area, so best ask the authorities, I would say.

Best of luck with your rebuild. Perhaps show us some photos if you can.

Cheers.

Ray.