1955 Intake w/A/C

Paul Falabella

Planning on doing the valley cover maintenance.To remove intake,the A/C compressor is supported front and rear by brackets attached to intake manifold. If I remove both brackets it appears only one small bracket from the generator will be holding this heavy unit(and the A/C lines).Do I need to support another way? If so how?

Anyone reassemble the valley with JB Weld?

You might take a lenght of wood to wedge between the frame and the underside of the compressor, as a precaution. Yes, the '55 is heavy, and the '53-54 even more so!

I would be cautious of JB Weld. A local body shop - or a friend in the hobby with a mig welder - could zap it into place much more securely. Anybody nearby with a welder to help a guy out?

Paul

Just remove the bracket at the rear of the compressor at the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold then from the rear of the compressor. It will be supported well enough. That bracket needs to be removed to remove the valve cover or spark plug cover.

The valley cover repair is detailed on my website (Buick Restorer); I have used JBWeld with no issues...be sure everything is degreased and clamp until set.

Willie

The compressor on my car is supported front and rear by brackets attached to the intake. post-54093-143139326165_thumb.jpgBoth brackets can be seen in photo,the forward bracket is tubular with flattened ends. Goes from front of comp.to intake. If I remove both that leaves a small bracket to gen. and the lines to support the comp.

Paul

You can remove the forward bracket (tubular with flattened ends), just don't leave out the bolt that holds that bracket to the compressor side. It will be supported well enough...just don't run the engine with it like that. If you want a lot of unnecessary exercise, you can remove the complete compressor (which will need to be removed to rebuild it).

Willie