Help Needed

ex98thdrill

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have had a very lengthy absence from the Forum for quite some time.

At this time I am unsure if this post will get yanked by the moderators, but in the event that it doesn't, I need the help of every AACA member that I can get.

For those of you who came to the meet that I chaired in 2010 (Canandaigua), I am from upstate New York. For those of you who know me well, my dad and I own over 20 antique vehicles that we have shown at many AACA meets for the last 11 years. I am in my third term as President of the GVACS Region, and my father is in his fifth term as a director of that same region.

On top of all of that, both my father and I are volunteer firefighters with over 80 years of service to the East Bloomfield Fire Department, and to show our devotion to the fire service, we own (and show) two antique fire trucks. One of them is an AACA Senior AGNM winner, while the other one is among AACA's first HPOF certified flag pole.

On Christmas Eve, tragedy struck the nearby community of West Webster, NY (about 30 miles from where we live). A person set his house and car on fire, and as the fire department showed up to put the fire out, this person opened fire shooting four West Webster firefighters, killing two of them.

As all of this was going down, Jon Ritter, an off duty police officer with the Greece Police Department, blocked the scene with his car, and prevented the sniper from killing many more civillians and firefighters.

In western New York, a nomination has been started to award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the four firefighters, as well as Officer Jon Ritter. In order to secure this award to these five individuals, it requires a petition for 25,000 signatures.

One of the Rochester radio stations has a link set up directly to the site to file your petition. The website to the radio station is www.wbee.com, scroll down on the maltese cross, and click on the link.

From a personal standpoint, there have been times when there has been a large function taking place in Rochester where the boys from West Webster have allowed us to keep our ladder truck in their firehouse (so we know some of those guys). As for Officer Ritter, prior to him transferring to Greece Police Department, Jon used to work with me at the Sheriff's Department. What is also a shock to my system is knowing that usually if there is a fire where I live, if I'm not driving the truck out the door of the firehouse, I'm on the first truck that arrives. These guys were on that first truck and were gunned down when they got to the fire. What happened to them could've happened to me at any time over the last 20+ years.

Folks, I don't get on here much, I seldom ask for anything, but we are looking to recognize four volunteer firefighters and an off duty police officer who were injured on Christmas Eve trying to help others. This won't cost you a thing other than a little bit of your time, but it will recognize a community who has really been through a rough time. If you go to the radio station's website, there is one nomination for the firefighters, and another one for Officer Ritter.

Thank you.

Pat.

Perhaps a recommendation for a Medal of Merit might be more realistic ?

Referencing here @ Presidential Medal of Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" from 1996 to 2011 the average annual incidence of award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom was approximately 1 per every 20,500,000 adult U.S. citizens (so on an annualized per capita basis 240 Medals of Freedom have been awarded per one Presidential Medal of Freedom).[2][5] "

and ....

It recognizes those individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".[

Jim

Jim,

You might be right with your award recommendation, but it's easier to get the signatures than it is to re-invent the wheel. Let's get the signatures first and let the boys in Washington debate it. Officer Ritter has gotten 2,500 signatures in 2 days, and yet the four firefighters only had 4,000 signatures in 5 days.

Right now the four firefighter's need another 2,500 signatures, but Officer Ritter needs more. Had it not been for Officer Ritter, there would've been more than four firefighters shot. These guys have all been through a lot, and the community is going through a lot as well. Every vote that we can bring in will help these people.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

You got it Pat - thanks for your service personally and for bringing this to our attention. Just signed both petitions and looks like you're almost there on the firemen (24,104 signatures with mine); the policeman petition looks like it needs more participation (3,176 signatures so far).

Fred

UPDATE: As of 3:14 pm Central Time today, the petition now has 25,214 signatures! That's over 1,100 signatures in four hours. Congratulations!

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Thank you very much everyone. The West Webster firefighters have met the required 25,000 signatures, so at this point, now we have to get things taken care of for Officer Ritter.

At this point we have until the end of this month to take care of Officer Ritter, but the fate of the West Webster firefighters will rest on the fate of the folks in Washington.

Pat,

Thank you for taking the lead on this matter of recognition.

As the son of a Firefighter who was several times injured in the line of duty, I deeply appreciate your dedication, and signed both petitions.

Best regards, and welcome back,

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

My son is a volunteer firefighter.

6503 petition signers are indicated on the Officer Ritter page as of this morning: West Webster Firefighter Medal Of Freedom - WBEE (and the petition links are in the paragraph right below the maltese cross).

25,000 signatures are needed--that means 18,497 still to go.

February 1st is the deadline.

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

My son is a volunteer firefighter.

You might want to click on the link for the West Webster Fire Department shirts. The shirt has the WWFD patch on the front, and on the back has two fire helmets with each of the firefighter's names and ID numbers on the shield of the fire helmet and then a phrase "Rest in Peace Brothers."

You might want to click on the link for the West Webster Fire Department shirts. The shirt has the WWFD patch on the front, and on the back has two fire helmets with each of the firefighter's names and ID numbers on the shield of the fire helmet and then a phrase "Rest in Peace Brothers."

Thanks for the heads up on that Pat--will check them out.

We saw the Hershey Volunteer Fire Deparment t-shirts on sale right outside the Giant Center at this past fall's Hershey Fall Meet, brought him home one, and he was thrilled, ref: Hershey Volunteer Fire Department

Thanks again & keep up the good work.

We saw the Hershey Volunteer Fire Deparment t-shirts on sale right outside the Giant Center at this past fall's Hershey Fall Meet, brought him home one, and he was thrilled, ref: Hershey Volunteer Fire Department

Thanks again & keep up the good work.

I bought one too. I always try to do something when it involves helping out another fire department.

You're welcome. Maybe I'll see you at Hershey. As I said in another post, don't blink because I don't stay in sight too long, or too often. About the only one who sees me is Steve.

For those of you who haven't voted yet, Officer Ritter still needs more votes.

If you go to jobshirtstore.com they are selling shirts in Memory of the firefighters who were shot and killed.

Just ordered a West Webster shirt for my son.

<<"...All proceeds will be donated to the West Webster Fire Association to benefit all 4 firefighter's families....">>

Products - WWFD Memorial Apparel