1990 4T60 transmission shift module symptoms..

ptt

...I read it wrong? I noticed when I depressed the adjustment tang/button and pushed the cable towards the T-Body that it made the racheting sound. I will do it again in reverse....then depress the gas pedal inside the cockpit. I mustve had a dislectic moment! Thank you.....

I readjusted the tv cable and it once again made the ratcheting noise so apparently the adjuster works. Now all I have to do is get the Ford 4x4 wheel bearing fixed and out of the way so I can get the convertible out of the garage to test drive it. The transmission seems to shift into gear fine when I place it into drive or reverse. Maybe Ill luck out yet. I will post test drive results. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Been out of town but back now. I drove the Reatta around the block and tried shifting the trans manually but it stays in low. No hard shift into 2nd. Just stays in low gear. Last resort Ill drop transmission pan and see if anything has collected in the pan. Maybe do a fluid/filter change and add some SEAFOAM TRANSMISSION TREATMENT and see what happens. Its either gonna help or its reman-tranny time...

I dont think I got up to that speed but it was certainly wound out in low! No hint that it was going to shift out of low. I dropped the pan and found nothing out of the normal. The fluid was dark but red and no real burnt smell to it. Vac Modulator is next....

If you disconnect the throttle cable it will shift up as soon as the governor allows. If you disconnect and plug the vacuum to the modulator, it will raise the internal pressure to maximum and shift as firmly as possible. The modulator should have little or no effect on the shift speed on this transaxle. It is different than many other GM transmissions. When the TV cable was disconnected previously, did it seem there was a spring loaded feel to the cable when you pulled it out by hand? It should have a noticeable detent feel after the slack is taken up. In other words, you should be able to feel by hand that it is actually moving something inside the trans.

If you disconnect the throttle cable it will shift up as soon as the governor allows. If you disconnect and plug the vacuum to the modulator, it will raise the internal pressure to maximum and shift as firmly as possible. The modulator should have little or no effect on the shift speed on this transaxle. It is different than many other GM transmissions. When the TV cable was disconnected previously, did it seem there was a spring loaded feel to the cable when you pulled it out by hand? It should have a noticeable detent feel after the slack is taken up. In other words, you should be able to feel by hand that it is actually moving something inside the trans.

Yeah, it definately felt like it was spring tension involved when I pulled on the TV Cable after disconnecting it up at the Throttlebody. With adjustment made and everything put back together it has a little slack in the static TV Cable position. I just did a pan drop and filter/fluid change with about a half pint of seafoam transmission treatment added. Gonna take it around the block while going through all the gears manually ande see what happens. Will post the results in a few minutes.....

I don't mean to sound critical of what you are doing but I'm wondering why you used such a small amount of Seafoam Transtune? Isn't a pint the recommended amount? If I were going to use it I would have used enough to make a difference. You can leave it in the transmission after you add it without replacing the fluid again. Seafoam is certainly not going to hurt a transmission that you are on the verge of replacing anyway.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I don't mean to sound critical of what you are doing but I'm wondering why you used such a small amount of Seafoam Transtune? Isn't a pint the recommended amount? If I were going to use it I would have used enough to make a difference. You can leave it in the transmission after you add it without replacing the fluid again. Seafoam is certainly not going to hurt a transmission that you are on the verge of replacing anyway.

I did a couple trips down the road and got it up to almost 3000rpm after just a half a pint of the one pint can of SEAFOAM...with no results. Still stays in low. Added the rest of the pint and went around again to no result. Maybe if I let it sit overnight it may do better but it appears like thats wishful thinking. I did notice that when I tried shifting it manually it would go into a neutral like state when I moved the shifter out of 1st into 2nd, drive or OD. When I moved the shifter back to low gear it would shift down to 1st. Just wont move in any shift position but 1st (low). Im going to try another test drive today and see if anything happens. Not optomistic. Local Certified Transmission shop gets around 1400 for remanjasper wants 1800 and 400 core refundable when they get your core in specific shipping configuration.

Can use diagnostics to see what gear is being requested when in drive. I'd put in diagnistic mode, get up to 30-35, shift to D and see what gear the HVAC says is selected. After that, the next step is either a line pressure guage or a different/rebuilt trans.