Ammeter only shows charging (very VERY slightly) ONLY when in Park.

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

Hello all.. quick question. My '49 Roadmaster only seems to show a (SLIGHT SLIGHT) charge while in "Park". While driving tonight, it seemed to do fine for about 40 minutes (It pretty much stayed in the 0 or neutral position). After that, it went completely to the "discharge" position and wouldn't "pop" back up until I brought it home and Parked it in the garage... then, while in "Park", I had to rev it up and bingo! Ammeter went from "discharge" to "neutral".

I know about polarizing the voltage regulator. I just completely cleaned up ALL of my wire connections- they look new now. Generator was brought in early this year, and the guy said it tested out fine.

Any ideas???

Oh, and BTW... MERRY CHRISTMAS Buick Lovers!!!

Jerry

1949 Buick Roadmaster - with open portholes!!! :)

Merry Christmas, Jerry.

Do your self a favor. Find an Auto electric repair shop in your area. Must be several in Ontario. Take the car to them and let them check it out. You might call first and determine if they do 6 volt. The generator or regulator is probably in need of attention.

Ben

Give this a try. With engine off, connect a jumper from Field or FLD terminal on regulator to a good ground. Start engine and run it above idle for a few minutes. It should show that it is charging and if you measure the battery voltage you should see 7 volts or a little more. Now shutdown engine, remove jumper and restart. If it does not show charge or at least 7 volts at battery, you have a problem most liklely with the regulator.

Joe, BCA 3393

Finding a good shop is hard. It used to be my firm policy to find someone older than my car to do the work. I pretty much ran out of those guys. I'm working with my nephew who is just a little older than the Park Ave. Hell, I just happened to think; I'm older than the dirt on ALL my cars.

Oh, well, Happy New Year, 2013- who'd have thunk!

Bernie

Guest Jerrys 49

Joe.. I just connected a jumper wire from the FLD terminal on the regulator to a good ground. Started her up, and whenever I pressed on the gas, the ammeter goes all the way to the charge side (I must say, I have never seen her light up so well on the dash lights! hehe). I disconnected the jumper wire, started her back up, and when I press the gas, the ammeter BARELY jumps to the charge side. Oh yeah, and with the jumper wire on, I checked my battery and it was only 6.21. I checked the battery again without the jumper wire on and same reading.

Oh and Larry.. I just replaced my belt and it is nice and snug.

Jerry

1949 Roadmaster

Jerry:

Thanks for your update. I suggest that you charge the battery for several hours to be sure it will take a charge and hold it. A good fully charged battery will read about 6.6 volts. Ground the FLD terminal again and start the engine and hold the throttle at a fast idle and do not exceed 1500 RPM. Let it run a few minutes to replace the charge lost from starting. Check the battery with the engine at a fast idle and read the voltage across the battery terminals. You should read about 7 volts and the ammmeter should show charge. If the voltage is not around 7 volts then it is likley that you have a defective battery, perhaps a bad cell. I also suspect the voltage regulator needs replacement based on the results you describe in your last post. So my bottom line is that you may need a new battery and likely a new regulator.

Joe

I agree with Joe. A good test fot the battery is to charge it fully, and then do a load test on it in a day or two with a load tester. If it drops to around 4 volts then you have a dead cell and the battery will need replacing. Sometimes the regulator just needs adjusting. Pull the cap off and look at the contacts. If the platinum plating is burned away, the regulator is junk.

Everyone with old cars and equipment should have one of these hanging on the wall... Noco 100-amp Battery Load Tester | Overstock.com

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)