65 Rivi fan shroud

RockinRiviDad

I am looking to buy a fan shroud for my Rivi. I found two at over $50 difference between the two. One is on the OPGI.com site for $206.99. The other is on the CARS site for $139.50-149.50. Both are advertised as being fiberglass reproductions of the original plastic shrouds. Does anyone know if one company's shroud is better than the other? Thanks in advance

Chances are they're both getting them from the same producer for the same price; both are adding their 'normal' mark-ups; therefore you'll be paying an extra to the OPGI guys. Whenever you find something on OPGI chances are you'll find the exact product somewhere else for less money. The ROA website has a link to restoration supplies and literature. Before you do any business with OPGI, make sure that you've familiarized yourself with everyone else on that page and know what products they have. One more reason to be an ROA member. You'll spend more on one purchase from OPGI than you'll spend on a membership and buying the product from anyone else.

Ed

Guest rsmalling
Awesome. CARS are still out of stock. Cant wait to get one. Are they nice enough to mount as is or did u have to paint it first? Can u post a pic of your engine compartment with the shroud mounted?

Will Do on the picture, ill be out there later this morning. Mine was good to go out of the box, I didnt paint mine.

I am looking to buy a fan shroud for my Rivi. I found two at over $50 difference between the two. One is on the OPGI.com site for $206.99. The other is on the CARS site for $139.50-149.50. Both are advertised as being fiberglass reproductions of the original plastic shrouds. Does anyone know if one company's shroud is better than the other? Thanks in advance

Hi,

If you'll settle for a used one, I'll be going to a old car yard in a couple of weeks, and I know they have a '65 there and I'll see if it has a good one. They're only there on some Saturdays and wo'nt be back until Jan12. I'll gladly check as I'll be running out there anyway. Please let me know.

kaycee

pic's of my cars shroud 65 gran sport Rivi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]168757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]168758[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]168759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]168760[/ATTACH]

weird...not sure why i stopped getting email notifications of thread replies...i just happened to get online to see you sent those pics i asked for, thank you, looks great. CARS claims they will probably get shrouds sometime after the first of the year.

hope you don't mind me asking a question about your set up. i acquired a set of the finned aluminum Buick valve covers like yours (mine are a bit different tho, each cover only has one port, one has it on the end and the other has it in the middle, don't know what that means) to replace my stock valve covers. i was told that my A/C bracket which straddled the stock steal valve cover will not straddle the aluminum cover? would you know if that is true? i see your A/C bracket and condenser lines are in place. looks like you might be setting up for reinstallation of the A/C. is my assumption correct? if not would you be willing to sell that bracket in question?

thanks again

Hi,

If you'll settle for a used one, I'll be going to a old car yard in a couple of weeks, and I know they have a '65 there and I'll see if it has a good one. They're only there on some Saturdays and wo'nt be back until Jan12. I'll gladly check as I'll be running out there anyway. Please let me know.

kaycee

hi kaycee, im not getting emails of new replies... sorry for the late response... thank you for asking to look for me, i would appreciate that. At $150 new (doesn't seem like a bad deal) thru CARS i might just wait it out and get it new. But at the right price used would be nice too lol. let me know if you see one in good condition and how much they are asking for it. if its original it may cost more than the repro. i watched one on ebay go for a lot more than the repro and it had a crack in it lol.

Seems like everything I've tried to get at opgi is either back ordered or doesn't fit.
I'd avoid OPG like the plague. Very sad that their Riviera parts are under whelming at best.

you guys rock, i am new to all this and love that you guys (and gals) tell it like it is. i was loving the opgi website until i heard from you guys. i will stay away thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kaycee

Hi David,

Thanks for your e-mail and list of parts you need. The guy that runs the yard phoned me today and said that he wont be there until Jan. 19 now, so I'll contact you then.

Kent

kaycee

If your car was not equipped with a shroud originally, make sure that you get the frame mounts with the shroud. They are two L shaped brackets that bolt to the back side of the front crossmember. There are two holes in the shroud and the shroud just sits on the brackets. It's held on with one bolt at the top. It bolts to the top radiator bracket that came only on A/C equipped cars.

Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes my car must have originally came with a shroud because I do have those brackets in place. I only figured it out when I started searching for a shroud & wondered how it would mount. My brackets still have the rubber sleeves at the tips that go into the shroud base to make a tight fit.

I can't find it now. But I thought someone posted something about using rubber weatherstripping along the shroud edges to take up the void between the radiator & shroud edge. Is that what most of you guys do?

David