1955 super: NO KEY, starter on lock

Guest Wisty

Wondering if any one has advise, been reading posts trying to figure this issue out. 1955 super with no key for the ignition. the ignition is in the lock position, have tried to remove but no luck as of yet cant get to that second screw. have read two different things, in the manual it says the key will be the same for the door trunk and glove compartment but also read the door and ignition are the same and the trunk and glove box are the same. Also read that if i pop out the door lock and get the numbers i can get it made, now struggling to get that out to get the numbers. Took the panel off but couldn't quite see how to get it from there. Called a locksmith and for $225 he will come out and pick the lock and then make a key, this would be the last resort because of the price. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It's a lot easier to get the trunk lock out.There is a spring clip that holds the key cylinder in that you will need to slip off. Once that is slipped off the cylinder can be pulled out. The little 3 inch X 3/16 inch wide flat shaft usually has a number on it that a locksmith can use to make a new key. Note I said "usually". Please don't hold it agin me if yours doesn't.

ended up finally getting the door lock out last night, couldnt see the number on the cylinder so i took the whole lock in to a locksmith that i called that makes vintage auto keys. I guess the number was on the rod and not actually on the cylinder. He made the key and i am just waiting to get home so i can see if it will work on the ignition. Im crossing my fingers that it does or else i will have to keep working at getting the ignition out (not 100% sure if the ignition is the original, it sure looks like it is). Im also hoping that the new key works for the trunk or i will be having to do the same with that. I will update and let you know. Thanks for the advice!

I got home friday after work and the keys work great... on the door the trunk and the glove compartment. No luck on the ignition so it must not be the original. I think i will just drill it out and put a new one in instead of fight with it.

Pick the ignition lock yourself then you should be able to remove it. Google "lock picking" to learn how. It's pretty simple and a pick is easily made. Besides that you get a bit of vicarious pleasure from being able to pick locks.................Bob

TEMOPORARILY !!

Why not make a jumper wire and run it to a hidden toggle switch to turn the ignition circuit "on", and be able to enjoy your car.

PS: Temporary could be days (or even years - but I never said that).

I know a guy who did this, but nobody ever caught on, because he had a non-functioning key that he slipped into the lock, and then hit the hidden switch before he stepped on the gas pedal.

Guest Commodore
i have been looking for them, i have found a Standard Ignition Lock cylinder, a Locksmart and a BWD so far, not sure which would be best.

Standard and BWD are now the same company.