Purolator EF 1/2 Oil Filter

I am looking for a Purolator EF 1/2 oil filter. These are a disposable, sealed canister with the input and output on the same end. The model number is embossed on the top. I have attached some photos. This one has the mounting bracket with it, but I just need the filter itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,

David

post-72748-14313927985_thumb.jpg

post-72748-143139279853_thumb.jpg

post-72748-143139279855_thumb.jpg

post-72748-143139279858_thumb.jpg

This came off a 1930 Dodge DC-8 engine that I found from a car that had been written off with about 5500 miles on it. I have also seen a factory photo of a DC-8 engine that had a Purolator oil filter on it of this shape, with in and out on the same end, and with the three crimps in the bottom end. Finally I have a 1935 AEA tune-up chart for the DC-8 that lists the EF-1/2 as the oil filter. So all in all I believe this filter was likely the factory filter for the 1930 Dodge DC-8.

If you go on ebay and check under Plymouth oil filter you will find one usually. There is one listed there now. I have several if you want to send me a PM.

On related note- at Hershey 2011 I met a vendor who took these flow thru cases and made them a spin-off modern filter on the inside. Since the 1/2 is hard to find , especially in good usable and/or show shape, this looked like a great idea. They alao did larger sizes (PUR1 or2?) this way also. Unfortunately they were not at Hershey 2012 and I would like to find them now. They were on a spot in approximately row OA10-20, first row in the Orange field, backed up to the flowered divider between Green and Orange near the arena end. Does anyone know who they were and how to contact them?

Thanks,

Tim and Dennis- Thank you for the contact info. I just talked to Mr. Ripley and I think we will work it out. I have to do some research on the size and find the old filter I misplaced after Hershey but we are on our way! Turns out they live about 50 miles from me so I could even pick it up!

Thanks again for the help!

All right , now I need more help. I found the filter I have, it looks like the top pics here for shape/size. However it is flow thru with threaded fittings each end. It also has no label left to get size but I sort of remember it is a PUR 1/2 ? The owners handbook I have says the original equipment filter is by the Handy Co. but I have never heard of them. Also the Lester Handbook says it is a Purolator but doesn't give the size. I do not know the fitting size but I think it is 3/8 or 1/2 NPT(?) both ends.

Does anyone have an application book for Purolator 1931 vintage. What does it list for a Hupp Model L or Century 8 filter?

Thank you for the help,

• 4 years later...
Guest tvanhart

can anyone give me the dimensions for the ef 1/2 cartridge it was lost on a 1933 chrysler cq i am working on thanks for any and all help

tim

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 8:23 PM, avantey said:

All right , now I need more help. I found the filter I have, it looks like the top pics here for shape/size. However it is flow thru with threaded fittings each end. It also has no label left to get size but I sort of remember it is a PUR 1/2 ? The owners handbook I have says the original equipment filter is by the Handy Co. but I have never heard of them. Also the Lester Handbook says it is a Purolator but doesn't give the size. I do not know the fitting size but I think it is 3/8 or 1/2 NPT(?) both ends.

Does anyone have an application book for Purolator 1931 vintage. What does it list for a Hupp Model L or Century 8 filter?

Thank you for the help,

This help ? It's a listing from original literature dated 1930. Possibly an L2 ? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Hupp and how they are listed.

Hopefully it helps...

Purolator 1.jpg

Purolator 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the chart!  It says the Hupp model S takes an EA-1/2.  The S is the six cylinder version of the L and this might be the same filter for my L.  Not sure from the picture page what the difference is between an EA and an L-2, and the EA comes in 2 lengths.  Is the length of the L2 cartridge a third size?  The filter I have is only about 10" on the body length.