Happy Turkey Day, 1941 Roadmaster Tulsa, OK to Mt Pleasent TX

Guest rramer

Happy Turkey Day, 1941 Roadmaster Tulsa, OK to Mt Pleasent TX

We drove 760 miles this weekend! I ran all new brake lines before the trip. I thought I wanted disc brakes, non needed on our Matilda!! Thanks guys!

I did blow the exhaust gaskets on the way back on a side trip through Ardmore, OK. We spent the night with the kids grandparents and I ran to all the parts houses prior to leaving on Saturday. I swapped out the two just above the Y and the donut at the Y. Didn't work out as well as I wanted. I will reorder the donut from BOBs and try that.

We got 11.5 miles per gallon, what are you folks getting on average with the straight 8? I want to rebuild the carbs over the winter. I did get vapor lock on the way down, an "old timer" said I should put wooden clothes pins on the fuel lines around the motor. I stopped at the $1 store and did just that. I didn't have any troubles the rest of the trip. I do have the 6 Volt pump I will have installed in a week or so.

Nice place!

rrpost-88742-143139273978_thumb.jpg

post-88742-143139273955_thumb.jpg

post-88742-143139273975_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you enjoying your Buick on the road...

As far a clothes pins go; wood is actually a good insulator and may help reduce some radiant heat from getting to the fuel line. But, I think the cooling happens while you're stopped with the hood open & putting them on the fuel line.

The best method I have seen to eliminate vapor lock was during the PWD AfterTour in Colorado. I saw a guy dump all the ice from his ice chest onto his engine. He then drove to the top of Pikes Peak. I made it just above timber line & had to turn around with four people in my 38 Special.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my '41 Roadmaster with the dual carb 320 on the road early in the summer and after I got about 700 miles or so by the fall, I made a couple of highway trips with it and got about 12-14 mpg, the lower value at 60-65, and the higher value on secondary highways doing 50-55 mph. Mine seems to be running rich at lower (20-30 mph) speeds, but it can't be too bad at higher speeds, so I too plan to get back into the carbs over the course of the winter.

This is with the stock 3.9 rear end ratio.

Keith

I have found the car is over charging. If I turn the radio and lights on this brings it down to normal. Voltage regulator rebuild, replace?? On the way home the center cap on my 6V battery blew off.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

rr

• 2 weeks later...