1964 Riviera, more rust woes

Guest rnoswal

Guest rnoswal

My 1964 project is getting started again. It was a pain to get but I wanted it. It wasn't in bad shape, complete and still ran, although it has an engine knock which is not a problem for me to fix. My problems are with some of the rust. The floors are not bad but I will replace at least 3 of the 4 major pitted areas. The trunk is good as is the gas tank. The windows all raise except for the rear driver side, it was held up with wood when I got the car.

My major problems are with the leading edge of the front hood and the upper leading edge of the roof!

post-81031-143139264633_thumb.jpg and both of these are really just surface rust.

I am hoping to just replace the hood and would like to cut out the roof portion instead of tedious sheet metal forming and welding. Not going to get rid of this one, it is my first Riviera but I have restored a few other types of cars. So any suggestions, hints, good griefs or leads to pieces.

Thanks

Russ

post-81031-1431392646_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264606_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264609_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264611_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264614_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264616_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264619_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264621_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264625_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264627_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264629_thumb.jpg

post-81031-143139264631_thumb.jpg

I have a problem with the nose of my hood as well. Not rusty but really smacked. Someone thought they could drill into it and take a slide hammer and pull it out not realizing there was an inner part of the hood; the threaded end on the slide hammer went into the second layer of hood. On one of the two cars I just got rid of, the leading edge of the hood was good. I cut out all of the spot welds and separated the two halves of the hood. Then took a cut-off wheel and took out a good sized piece of the nose of the hood. It can be welded in on the original hood. It was strange, but the nose of the hood was good but the sides looked like yours. Perhaps you can find someone who has a hood that was in a fire and the nose section is still good.

Ed

PS - Where were you two weeks ago before I sent the cars off to the yard? :(

Guest Steeleco

Hi! You have a challange. I did quite a bit of rust repair and body work to my car a few months ago. It's a good feeling to make something out of what you have. Or as my wife says turn chicken s### into chicken salad. Good luck. Keep the pictures comming. Is the back glass out of the car also and do you have those peices?

Cheers!

Guest rnoswal

Rivnut, I know what you mean, timing they say is everything! I have had the car for over a year now but I race a dirt track car over the summer and just now finished that. I really want to get this car on the road and now I really got a good look at the roof, dismaying for sure but not overwhelming. I will keep up the search and work on the other stuff while hoping to come up with a fix for these 2 major items.

Steeleco, your wife sounds like mine, way more practical than we are! No the back glass is still there but will probably remove it before painting it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

OK RN: I ran across a man who cut up a parts car with a clean cowl and windshield channel. He actually cut a straight line across the roof five inches or so from the windshield (from one drip channel to the other) and his other two cuts were the windshield posts. He claimed to have welded in this piece to the same rusted area he cut out of his resto car. I didn't see it but I have seen his work and it is darn good. On my 64 build the body guy purchased a repop windshield channel piece from a mid 60's Chevelle and modified it to work. The back bottom is much more forgiving in the fact that the pot metal piece of trim mounts flush with the rear windshield stainless on the bottom. It can hide a little more hamburger helper or what ever else is used to do the fabrication. Is it correct? If it doesn't leak, if it holds for many years and doesn't look like it was rusted.....maybe? Mitch

Guest rnoswal

Thanks Mike. I live in northwest Louisiana. I had thought about an older car different make to try to fix the upper windshield but most of the older cars down here get crushed. The occasional one is rare but it certainly sounds like a good idea if I can't find a replacement piece for the roof. I did call Big M autowreckers in northern California and the guy sounded like he might be able to help me with the hood and the roof. I hope to find out this week.

I did call Jim Estes about his 64 Riviera and WISH I lived closer. I would have prefered a non-rusty Riv to work on but he sold it and I told him that I was glad he found a home for it.

So thanks for all the help, hints and advice you guys.

Russ

Guest rnoswal

Thanks you guys. I checked out CTC and they do have many parts to choose from. The biggest positive it that it is only a bit farther than Dallas, 200 miles. I will call them and see if they have what I need. It looks like they may have a hood for my 64 from the posted pictures.

Does anyone know if the roof/windshield upper setting and curves are the same in the 63,64 and 65 Rivs? If they are and can find a clean one, I will cut it off to splice to my car.

Wow, this is great guys. Thanks a lot.

Russ

OK Russ: I was thinking of this thread while posting on the recent thread "New Motto". The fact that you are tackling this project is really an indication of the fact that these cars are really worth preserving. After seeing these pictures I'm thinking that, sure, rust repair is an important consideration being difficult and expensive..........you're doing it and there are probably a lot more people fixing cars who that were attacked and devastated in the "Tin Worm Massacre". Mitch

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rnoswal

Thanks Don. I did look at the post and it looks like it would have saved me some money. I already got a partial front roof piece from a wrecking yard in nothern California. I should have a good hood coming from them too very soon. Now comes the fun part of splicing it to the car. I have a pretty good book on how to chop tops of all types. It looks like a very good guide for cutting and welding the better part on. I have done other body work on cars before but this is a first for the windshield area and it has to be right! So, thanks again.

Russ

Guest slacker1965

russ,

just take your time & don't cut off too big of a chunk.....if you have access to a tig welder you can cut way down on the heat warpage..... I have seen brett@fatman fabs do it with a heinrob(sp?) oxy setup

Guest rnoswal

Well Kevin, I do have a MIG welder and will use that to weld. I have built several dirt track cars and feel pretty good about my welding. I have repaired a front right corner on an old 87 Toyota Supra I used to own. I cut off the front right corner and spliced a good piece back on. I have just one spot that worries me with the roof and that is just the other side of the drip rail and under the actual roof. It is hidden and no way to get to it. I may have to cut a hole big enough in the roof to get at it, then repair that hole. Not sure but that is the option I see. I worry just a bit about making sure the A pillar lines up well enough that the windshield fits like original but I will take my time and do the best I can.

As far as the windshield goes Steelco, I got this part from Big M automotive, www.bigmauto.com . I am not sure when they pulled the windshield from the car I got the part from but it appears to have been removed a while back. You can call them and ask though, they are very friendly and helpful.

Thanks again.

Russ

Edited by rnoswal (see edit history)