23 Model 54 - points, condensers and water pump packing

Mike Markin

Now that I have the engine running the water pump leaks and may need repacking. Before I tear this apart, does anyone have any idea what size of packing material was used for this? There are various sizes offered. Also, I need new points, condensor, and plug wires. Any idea who might offer these? I went out to Restoration Supply and they sell wiring by the foot to build but not the points and condensors.

Thanks

Mike

Your water pump can be adjusted with those two nuts on right and left side of the pump house.One nut is right threded and one if left threaded.You can buy this packing material graphite packing by feet in a iron shop as well.

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Mike:

You should be able to get the Graphite type rope packing at an old line type hardware/plumbing store. 3/16 dia should be good. "BOB's Automobilia" in California can set you up with points wire sets etc.(I made up my own). Since the 9mm type they sell was impossible to fit into my spark plug cover. And the boots were for 7mm (very old stock as they were not flexible and split. But you may have to call as the 1924-25 point set do not show a price "inquire"(should be same for 23. Also sells the packing but not the same as the original design.

Great to hear that another 23-54 is up and running. Last year we drove up to Vermont to buy one but the deal fell thru.I do have pictures of that car if you need some refrence.

Send us some pictures !

Larry DiBarry

I re-ground and squared my points on my bench with a stone since there is so much point material there. Bought a 6v capacitor at the local auto supply. Made my own 9mm plug wires with the bulk material (yellow 'oak' color) and the end fittings they carry through Restoration Supply Company. They also carry the correct graphite impregnated packing rope. I went with a smaller diameter to help it form and fill the gland area better (this correct stuff works well and makes all the difference). Rotor is a contact type, just cleaned it up. Cap was not cracked and not grooved from the rotor so still using it. That was 16 years ago and 25K miles. Just tune-up work since then.