1965 Riviera Gran Sport, $78,000 Buy it Now.

cjp69

It is interesting for me, at this point in my life, to imagine how much someone would have to pay me to own a real nice Riviera for 30 years and essentially not drive it; certainly nothing I would be envious of.

Let's imagine meeting Bill Mitchell at the Pearly Gates. He spots a couple of first generation owners right off the bat. I tell him about buying my car in 1978 when it was 15 years old and the places I took it (I was 30.) And then how around 1990 I snaked the frame out from under it and rebuilt all the mechanical stuff so I could try to wear it out again. Then the other guy says he still shows 66,000 miles and the car is 48 years old. Bill says "You mean you owned my creation that long and never even drove it?" So Bill and I start walking off together and I'm telling him he could have built a little more elbow room in the '64 to make it more comfortable to drive like the '66 and he looks down at my shoes and says he knows where I can get a nice white pair. maybe a pink shirt, too. And we are laughing when I tell him about knocking that damned R gunsight off the hood with my snowbrush one day. I had it heli-arched and it is still on the car as a reminder.

Must be me,

Bernie

Oh! To my point, that would be like having someone give you $2,000 a year for 30 years not to drive your nice Riviera........... Nope.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

It is interesting for me, at this point in my life, to imagine how much someone would have to pay me to own a real nice Riviera for 30 years and essentially not drive it; certainly nothing I would be envious of.

Let's imagine meeting Bill Mitchell at the Pearly Gates. He spots a couple of first generation owners right off the bat. I tell him about buying my car in 1978 when it was 15 years old and the places I took it (I was 30.) And then how around 1990 I snaked the frame out from under it and rebuilt all the mechanical stuff so I could try to wear it out again. Then the other guy says he still shows 66,000 miles and the car is 48 years old. Bill says "You mean you owned my creation that long and never even drove it?" So Bill and I start walking off together and I'm telling him he could have built a little more elbow room in the '64 to make it more comfortable to drive like the '66 and he looks down at my shoes and says he knows where I can get a nice white pair. maybe a pink shirt, too. And we are laughing when I tell him about knocking that damned R gunsight off the hood with my snowbrush one day. I had it heli-arched and it is still on the car as a reminder.

Must be me,

Bernie

Oh! To my point, that would be like having someone give you $2,000 a year for 30 years not to drive your nice Riviera........... Nope.

THIS!

It's a beauty... I noticed the front vent cowls are painted red.... mine were painted (white) and I had them baking soda blasted this spring to show the chrome.... which is correct?

Thanks!

PS - I have 66,000 original miles on mine! original, interior, including carpet, trunk paint and sticker also...My engine needs to be detailed but otherwise everything works and I enjoy it...solid as can be!

Well, I for one can appreciate the trailer queens. I think it is great to have cars out there that look as good, or better than the day they rolled off the line. Hey, I have a totally original, MINT, 1987 Grand National with only 16k miles, so maybe I'm biased.