1923 McLaughlin Buick 35 SPO

Guest Robert@cpageinsurance.com

My Father-n-Law recently passed away and he left us with his 1923 McLaughlin Buick Model 35SPO and looking to gather infoamtion on this particular car. I have searched several internet locations and have yet to find anything on the Model 35 SPO. I attaching a copy of the plate showing said model.

The car is in great shape and runs well. I have attached two photos of her.

Any information on the 35 SPO model would be appreciated. Particularly looking for information on value range, number manufactured and estimated number restored.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Page

Robert@cpageinsurance.com

985 852-2223

Houma, Louisiana 70360

post-88487-143139198764_thumb.jpg

Buick.pdf

As you can see I answerd you questin 5 minuts ago,and it was as I thought a Canadian built Buick.It seems that Canadian built model 35 always had SPO on the body plate,and US built didn`t.

I don`t know why.Since Mr Dave Corbin past away it`s hard to get those information about Canadin Built Buicks just becuse he visited Canada and did a lot of research 2-4 years ago.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, Thank you for the information. I was given a good history on the McLauglin line that was sent to me yesterday and if you would like I could email to you.

Looks great!

Let us know what we can do to help. I tend to shy away from guessing at prices without actually seeing and driving a car. The market is rather narrow. As someone once told me, a good price is 'what someone is willing to pay'. Note that when you do compare prices that the McLaughlin bloodline adds to the value, but being a 35 series and a 4 cylinder will take a little away when compared to the 6 cylinder series cars.

A case in point. When I bought my car 16 years ago, I saw the add for it in the Buick Bugle. After about 2 months passed, I called the seller just to see what he sold it for to give me an idea of what to pay for a car in that condition. The seller's quote when I asked what he sold it for over the phone:

"What did it sell for? Hell son, you're the first call I've gotten on the car."

Now, the Old Car Gods were smiling that day since the seller lived in New Hampshire and me and my young family in Michigan, but my fraternity brother and his wife who had just invited us to their new home for a visit lived (you guessed it) 15 miles down the road from the car. The seller was the nicest older fellow, he drew us a map and had the car all ready to go for an afternoon tour when we arrive. So Mamma, Daughters then 9, 6 and 4 and me all went for a long ride. We were sold, or should I say, my wife was, Ha.

My father and I went to pick up the car 3 months later over the Thanksgiving weekend since I had no vacation days left. The seller and his wife treated us to a feast of Thanksgiving leftovers (which we were missing at home) on Saturday when we arrived. Best homemade pie I ever had. My father is now 90 and still talks of the trip and the pie!

Hello Robert,

I have some of what Dave Corbin compiled of his research into McLaughlin-Buicks. He wanted to ensure the information would be passed along as assistance, and my youngest son will take it over in a few years. Dave was also interested in the idea of the data being in Canada.

From the photo, I'm having difficulty making out the numbers - if you could post or e-mail me the serial number and engine number, I can see what I can make from the data.

Model number breakdowns aren't available on Canadian cars - the data wasn't kept. In the USA, there were 36,935 Model 35 built out of a total of 181,657. That represents just over 20%. In 1923, there were 17,255 McLaughlin-Buicks made. If the Model 35 represents the same 20% proportion, one would then infer there were about 3500 of these built. That is an estimate of course. One thing to consider is that much of Canada has harsher winters than much of the USA, so one wouldn't be surprised to see more closed cars up here, but that is speculation. Then again, a big bulk of the Canadian population isn't that far from Buick production in Flint.

The most recent price guide I have is from April - here are the numbers:

Condition Value

#6 $1280

#5 $3840

#4 $6400

#3 $14400

#2 $22400

#1 $32000

Keep in mind that price guides are guidelines and there is a lot of variability depending on condition, location, how badly a buyer wants the particular vehicle, and how badly someone wants to sell.

I hope this helps out a bit. My time has changed, so I'm not spending much time of the forums these days, so I don't necessarily know when these types of questions are asked.

Derek,

Thank you so much for the information. The motor number is 1028509 and the seril number is 73823. Wuld you have information as to what SPO stands for as on the plate it shows 1923 Model 35SPO. Thanking you in advance.

Robert,

This is a BIG guess on the meaning of 'SPO'. In my day job I upfit police cars, add radios, lights etc... Today auto manufacturers use the SPO term for 'Special Production Option'. I see this in the police cars to refer to factory added options specific to the police package cars. IE: special wiring options, spotlights, pushbars, prisioner shields, emergency lights, sirens etc. that are installed by the manufacturer. I am wondering if your car might have been a chassis that was built (ordered) by McLaughlin then the body added in Canada, therefore being a Special Production (bare chassis) from Buick.... I really have no idea, just a wild guess. Hopefully others will know and chime in.

Robin

Robin.If you have follow the threads about McLauglin Buick in 1920s you can see that McL Buick have used a different way to sign those plates on cars,they have never what I know used SPO on those more especially equiped cars.What I can see on my 2 plates for 1924 Canadian Buick there are no more place for letters on the plates.Look at the first picture on this thread and you can see the last O is very close to serial no.

Leif in Sweden.

I looked this one up in my list. It has been profiled once before in the MBCC Accelerator:

MBCC Accelerator, November/December 1981, Vol. 11, Issue 3, page 11

It was listed as a D35 in the article, which seams incorrect based on the data plate above. See the attached article.

post-44481-143139207444_thumb.jpg

Sean, would you know the owner by chance Roy Burke? Thank you for the information on the Buick.

Mr. Burke answered the phone and was quite happy to hear about his car. He indicated that after he sold it went to Vancouver and then to Seattle. He is looking for the information that he has on the sale and pictures of the restoration. It was a pleasure to speake with him. He is 80 years old and stated he did the restoration 40 to 50 years ago.

Sean, thank you so much for the information on Mr. Burke.