Wanted 1932 dodge door handles

32bizcoupe

Maybe I am wrong but I still do not think so at this point. I would guess that your interior drivers side has a locking mechanism as my own car does. The passengers side is the only side with lock. Maybe they changed this by 32 but I doubt it.

I am sure a 32 owner will chime in and clear this up

I still do not know that they are the correct handles for 32 ( although I could find out if need be ) but cars just a bit earlier carried the locks on the pass side only

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

ok I am the handleman with over 60k handles all original from junk yards,I am going to clear up kieser first comments your handle is correct and a bear to find the curvy handle kieser showing you does fit one application dodge in 32 but not your basic business coupe,yours are correct.I may have one handle in Inventory I would have to look they are so rare because the thin crimped over clad would crack and rust from within,making them hardly ever good from used cars sitting outside.Next in the USA they only put the locking handle on the pass side for safety as you were led to beleive is true,they did not have bucket seats so you would pull up to side walk and slide out on pass side not street.Finnally the handle keiser is showing also fits chrysler certain model I would have to look in my engineering drawings to confirm what year and model.Now back to the wheels yours do look like mine from my 33 dodge dp6 I just thought they tapp out once you get the center bushing out as I see you left them together do you have a photo of one complete painted and restored,that you did,my wheels are 6.0x16 what size are yours,R U going to hershey if so I can see if I can bring the 32 dodge outside I might have left,let me know.

RB

thehandleman@comcast.net

My rims are 3.25 - 18 and I have not painted them yet as I am still working on the other three. The layers of paint did a good job of preserving the wood. I was concerned about getting in over my head by taking the wheels all the way apart. I will finish all the tires and decide if they will still need taken apart.

I will unfortunately not be attending Hershey this year but please keep me informed if you find a better handle. Great info!

My rims are 3.25 - 18 and I have not painted them yet as I am still working on the other three. The layers of paint did a good job of preserving the wood. I was concerned about getting in over my head by taking the wheels all the way apart. I will finish all the tires and decide if they will still need taken apart.

I will unfortunately not be attending Hershey this year but please keep me informed if you find a better handle. Great info!

Send me a email to thehandleman@comcast.net after hershey shoot me the photos of the ones you posted and I will see if I have not sold at hershey,see all my bins are loaded and strapped down together,so I will look shoot the email to me say around Oct 16thor so.Regards Thanks for the wheel story,my plan on my 33 dodge dp6 is to start on the brakes all new then the wheels and go from there safety firstLater

RB:)

I have been sending my brakes to a co. In Southern California that will hone the original master and wheel seals then sleeve it with stainless steel then rebuild. The wheels seals cost as much as nos at about 80, the master was quite a bit more. For me it is nice to know that I can extend the original stuff for another lifetime.

Place is called karps power brakes.

post-80786-143139186902_thumb.jpg

post-80786-143139186908_thumb.jpg

ok I am the handleman with over 60k handles all original from junk yards,I am going to clear up kieser first comments your handle is correct and a bear to find the curvy handle kieser showing you does fit one application dodge in 32 but not your basic business coupe,yours are correct.I may have one handle in Inventory I would have to look they are so rare because the thin crimped over clad would crack and rust from within,making them hardly ever good from used cars sitting outside.Next in the USA they only put the locking handle on the pass side for safety as you were led to beleive is true,they did not have bucket seats so you would pull up to side walk and slide out on pass side not street.Finnally the handle keiser is showing also fits chrysler certain model I would have to look in my engineering drawings to confirm what year and model.Now back to the wheels yours do look like mine from my 33 dodge dp6 I just thought they tapp out once you get the center bushing out as I see you left them together do you have a photo of one complete painted and restored,that you did,my wheels are 6.0x16 what size are yours,R U going to hershey if so I can see if I can bring the 32 dodge outside I might have left,let me know.

RB

thehandleman@comcast.net

Small correction or possibly just my misunderstanding, they did have bucket seats and what would have been done was to engage the lock as you opened the door and upon closing it the door would become locked. As was suggested it is a bear to slide across two sets of seats.

My own car and many early Dodge models ( many other makes as well ) use bucket seats.

Then one would walk over to the pass side and lock the vehicle the rest of the way from there.

Anyone know when Dodge began using locks on drivers handles?

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

RB

thehandleman@comcast.net

Makes total sense since the eight cylinder cars usually had different handles (inside and outside) than the sixes. Thanks for the lesson.

• 5 weeks later...

I will confirm that my '32 DL rumble seat coupe has the exact handles that the original post show, so your handles are indeed the right handles. My passenger handle is missing the lock tumbler and inner parts though, so, you're lucky your handles are complete and in nice condition.

When I bought my latest 32DL it didn't have the locking handle on it. It had an aftermarket replacement.

I was lucky to pick up the locking handle about 3 years ago for around $85 on eBay, so they're out there.

The photo shows both handles. The one in back (the cheaply made aftermarket replacement) is the one you DON'T want.

post-61720-143139233531_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dbtimesthree

Hi

Even on the coupe, the lock is on the passenger side, you were intended not to get out in traffic, instead scoot across and get out on the sidewalk, if there was a side walk. You would onlock the door, and your passenger would reach over then and unlock the driver's door from the inside thus letting you in the car on the left side.