Water pump packing (yeh i know again)

Guest namvetschrysler

Guest namvetschrysler

I mean it is very confusing knowing just what type of water pump packing i should use, even more difficult here where i live because there is limited types to choose from, the stuff that came out of my pump is 1/18 dia and is round it looks like a piece of over sized string wrapped in this silver stuff, when i originally put it in 30 years ago i didn't cut it, i just wrapped it around the shaft then poked it into the gland nut thingy then did it up, it never leaked, unfortunately i forget the name of it, everywhere i go here and ask for it they just shake their head.

I did see something similar on a US site but could not definitely decide if it was the same stuff it was cheap but the shipping to Aus. was horrendous.

Does anyone have an up to date Name or part number for this packing.

Thanks a lot

George

Edited by namvetschrysler (see edit history)

Guest namvetschrysler

Yes mate did have a look at that site but couldn't work out the one for me, can't find a supplier here , thing is i need to know definetly what it is called

it is called water pump packing the rope style is also called stem packing. you may also look into just using a seal in the proper dimensions. do you have any Model A Ford owners or supply houses around? They can supply a good packing product if your shaft is the correct diameter.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

It is usually graphite impregnated cord. When you wind it on the shaft you mix waterpump grease in with the cord to stop any leaks. The graphite reduces the friction of the spinning shaft.

You could try this company and see if they have got what you want. I see they have a branch in Perth and they sell packing material by the meter.

Gaskets, Gasket Material, Packing for Pumps - Packing for Pumps & Valve=

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

It is also available as "steam packing" (if you have any steam enthusiasts around) or from an old time plumbing shop as valve (as in tap) stem packing.

If y0u can get an accurate measurement as to the diameter of the packing (or size if it is rectangular or square) and the diameter of the shaft any marine supply whould have gland packing that would fit perfectly. It is basically the same product just called differently by each industry. In a pinch plain cotton cord infused with water pump grease (or any kind of grease for that matter) will do the job.

Tucks are good supplier [my favorite: I buy piping gaskets by the hundred]. Or try Blackwoods, James Walker, Klinger, or agaus.com.au. Look in yellow pages for gaskets & packing. Bearing shops also can sell packing. Best to walk into these places with your pump and try to talk to someone with behind the counter grey hair (experienced) . Do not go to car part places.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest namvetschrysler

Yep contacted Tucks earlier today by email they have it and gave me the part number and it is cheap but they have minimum invoice cost which does not suit me plus their postage is excessive as well, they told me to go to either Blackwoods in Perth (hopeless) they have not heard of it and Reece were not much better, i decided to ring tucks and when i did i got onto a very caring chap who happens to be the owner he said he would give instructions on Monday for them to send me a roll at normal postage cost, Job Done.

thanks to all

One of the reasons I suggested walking into these places: better service.

Some guys will just give you 50 to 100 mm of the stuff:- not worth the hassle of an invoice, especially is you mention its for your own old car.

Yep: a lot of places have a min delivery charge $15 to $25. They send by courier bag or truck (not Australia post). Buying $10 or or $1000 delivery is still $20. I use this at times to get items from WA suppliers overnight to take advantage of the time difference. And delivery is still $20, just the same as getting from the next suburb.

Tucks web site was better before they enhanced it

Reece's are just a plumbing wholesaler.

Blackwoods have a vast range with young guys on the phone/counter. You need to know their internal part number. These are on line and they also have a good thick printed catalog

Hope you get want you need

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

One thing to remember when you are tightening the gland nut. Do not make it absolutely tight. These packings should leak just a drop now and then, otherwise the packing can dry out and it will cut into your shaft.

Why not ask someone to purchase a bit of waterpump packing and mail it to you in an envelope first class, it shouldn't cost much at all. What do they use in your country to pack shafts, glands, spigots and etc? I'm curious. also what is the diameter of the shaft and the application of the pump?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Blackwoods, but they sell by the metre

Blackwoods | All Your Workplace Needs

PACKING PACKMASTER 2 (0.5KG COIL) 3.0MM (0624 5416) | Blackwoods

Applications: General service, rotary and reciprocating pumps, valve stems, mild acid and alkalis, air, hot and cold water

Guest namvetschrysler

Rang Blackwoods (Perth) spoke to an old Guy, not only did he not have a clue he was not at all interested, anyway at long last i have it sorted

thanks all

Guest Bill Miller

The stuff is called water pump string packing and you can buy it in the states from Restoration Supply and a few other places, they sell it by the foot. It's a string-type woven material impregnated with dry lubricant and you can unwind the fibers to fit your application if needed although it comes in several diameters. Not available at modern parts stores like Pep Boys, NAPA, AutoZone, etc., they just look at you with a blank stare and have no clue what you are talking about. I most recently bought some from Tom and Cindy Myers at www.myersearlydodge.com. A couple of feet cost about USD$12.

Bill