1964 65 66 BUICK RIVIERA REAL WALNUT WOOD STEERING WHEEL GRAN SPORT - $800

cjp69

Guest rsmalling
Rob - so you got a complete wheel with hub, center R cap, and original horn bar for $400. Where the heck did you find that as you got a killer deal. I've seen complete original units in nice condition sell for $1100.

I got the Wheel and the Hub for $400 (in very good condition) and picked up the horn Bar and R Center cap (repros that are better than NOS) from buickbonehead. I should have been more clear, I jump the gun with my off handed comments sometimes. So I have about $950 in my wheel, but it looks great. Its still early here and Im only on my 1st cup of coffee.....

So for 800. if the cap and hornbar are okay, its a fair deal I guess, but the horn bars are always weak if not broken. but if its the wheel and hub 800 is pushing it imo.

Edited by rsmalling (see edit history)

Rob - so you got a complete wheel with hub, center R cap, and original horn bar for $400. Where the heck did you find that as you got a killer deal. I've seen complete original units in nice condition sell for $1100.

$800 is a good deal if it's all there, there are no cracks and nothing needs to be plated. I've sold several wheels for over $1000. I have an NOS hornbar that I paid about $400 for several years ago. Sometimes you just need to step up to the plate and pay if you want a hard to get item.

$800 is a good deal if it's all there, there are no cracks and nothing needs to be plated. I've sold several wheels for over $1000. I have an NOS hornbar that I paid about $400 for several years ago. Sometimes you just need to step up to the plate and pay if you want a hard to get item.

Agreed!

I bought a whole parts car because it had a really nice horn bar. :>)

Agreed!

I bought a whole parts car because it had a really nice horn bar. :>)

Sounds like something I'd do! I hope to find an original someday at a decent price and when I do, I will fill the back side where they break with epoxy so I don't have to worry every time I blow the horn.

I guess that I'll have to tell you all about the investment I have in my wood wheel. I was at an older gentleman's home looking for a fender for one of my '64's a number of years ago. He had his (now a parts car) parked in a garage. The trunk was fillied with junk he'd pulled from it. I was scrounging through the junk and came across a complete wheel w/ horn bar, cap, wire, and all of the innards. I pulled it out, looked at it, and set it back in the trunk. I looked at the fender I was after, and found it was too beat up for what I wanted. I talked with the old man again about some other stuff and was saying good bye. Before I left, I picked up the steering wheel and said to him "This might work on my car, the wheel I now have (plastic) has a couple of cracks in it. Would you take ten bucks for it?" "Sure, I'll never use it."

Since then, I sold a cracked horn bar to a guy who wants it to make a mold for a new one. He paid me the same for it as for what I bought a new repo from Buickbonehead. If you've done your math correctly, I have a total investment of $10.00 in a complete wheel with horn bar and all the innards. And NO, it's not for sale!:)

Would you take ten bucks for it?" "Sure, I'll never use it." I have a total investment of $10.00 in a complete wheel with horn bar and all the innards. And NO, it's not for sale!:)

Ed - you must have been thinking of this incident when your avatar pic was taken :P

OK Riviera People: I started driving a 64 Riv with the wood wheel. It was in cherry shape. I found that my fingers were taking a beating from that bar and it probably was just a matter of time before the horn bar broke, so I sold it for $700. It was sold to a forum member and he was as particular as it gets. The entire unit was beautiful. It really looked nice but being a woos I elected to replace it with a black standard wheel that I had in stock.

I really don't see the value in these for the money, but who am I to make that call? Mitch