Removing steeringcolumn - 55 Special

wex65

Has anyone undertaken this and are there some simple steps? I looked in the manual but only found instructions to removing the steering gear itself.

I suspect that as with the dash removal, a face full of dust awaits me...

Paul

Did it on a '53 Special a few years ago. Details are hazy, but you need to remove the plate around the base of steering column at floorboard, then measure the size of the opening and measure the steering box, and see if it will fit through the opening. That way, you don't have to remove the steering wheel, and you just take everything out through the interior, driver's door, etc., after you carefully unbolt the steering box from the frame. Place a floor jack or jack stand under the steering box, unless you have a helper to support its weight. Steering column will drop down away from the base of the dashboard after you remove the two bolts and bracket that holds it to the dash.

There is also a way to separate the steering column from the steering box, if access hole in floorboard is not big enough for steering box to pass through. I've seen it done, but never had the nerve to try it myself. Maybe someone else can fill in on how that comes apart.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

I've done manual and power steering removal on finished cars. Personally, I would follow the shop manual instructions, meaning pull the wheel and column, then pull it out from the engine compartment side. Cover your seat with packing blankets or heavy quilts or you risk tearing the fabric. Manual boxes are a relatively easy one person job. Power boxes are stinkin' heavy and are much easier with someone inside guiding so dash doesn't get scratches. If you're an ox (like me) you can muscle out the power unit, but you obviously have to be concerned with scratching the fender or engine paint.

Thanks guys. The dash it completely out so no fear of damage there...

I completely painted the dash and reworked the switches/gauges etc and am now looking to get everything back together. I had hoped to have this done several weeks ago but got called away. Life interrupts every now and then I guess. I will post before/after photos once it is in, hopefully this weekend. It is looking stunning right now and I can't wait!

I have removed the steering wheel, gear shift and turn signal levers and upon doing a trial fit on the dash see it isn't enough, the steering column is still in the way. Looking online, I found the process with which to adjust the height of the steering wheel which should lower the steering column 'somewhat'. I will try this first as it seems a LOT easier than removing the entire column. I did look in the manual but just don't see steps to remove the steering column. I see reference to steering gear which I am guessing IS it.

Looking at the hols in the floorboard there is no way the steering box will fit through it.

I will report back...

Paul