New member with an old Dodge (lots of photos)

Guest tater134

Guest tater134

Hello everyone. I just purchased this 1937 Dodge last week and I wanted to post some photos and get some opinions on it from people who have experience with these cars. Basically I'm wondering if it is worth fixing up or is this more or less a parts car. Its mostly complete and the body is decent aside from some rot around the edges. The interior is shot and the front part of the floor is long gone. The car ran 10 years ago when it was driven to the property I purchased it from and the engine turns over by hand. If it is worth fixing I would really like to just to get it good enough to be on the road and look decent since a full and correct restoration would be beyond my budget and skill level. The car also came with 6 new tires + tubes, taillights, running boards, and some other assorted parts. Here are a few photos, let me know what you think.

100_6878.jpg

100_6880.jpg

100_6882.jpg

100_6884.jpg

100_6885.jpg

100_6888.jpg

100_6889.jpg

100_6891.jpg

100_6893.jpg

100_6895.jpg

100_6896.jpg

Tater134, welcome. You have a 2-door fastback, which must be quite, if not very, rare - 5302 produced out of approx. 300.000. You have the correct engine if engine number has D5 prefix (number is on top of block, left of oilfiller cap.

Yes, it looks......rough. It looks like a doable project but it will take a lot of determination.

Others will soon comment on your car.

Good luck,

Tom

Please, please don't break this one. I know it's easy for someone else to say what to do when they aren't going to have to fund the restoration, but speaking from experience, believe me, that car has one heck of a lot of potential.

Give yourself at least 3 years to fix it up and try to do at least one thing every day. Keep a diary and a running total of costs. Set yourself a budget and take photos to remind yourself of how things fit together. Be sure to label and bag up parts that you take off. Try to find out the car's history and build up a file.

Most important though is to keep it stock. You may end up with a show stopper or just a nice runner - it's up to you!

If you need any help, you will be amazed at what the guys on this forum know and how to go about things.

You are one lucky guy to find a Dodge Brothers project car that rare!

All the best,

Ray.

Guest tater134

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I had no idea this car had such a low production number so I'm glad I came here first before starting any serious work on it. I'll be completely honest with you guys. I've been looking for an older vehicle to mess around with for quite some time and I was really hoping for something that was not this far gone but when I found out about this car I couldn't pass it up. By dumb luck I happened to stumble upon a 1939 Plymouth this afternoon while I was out driving around and it is in worlds better shape than the Dodge I currently own. It needs very minimal work to make it nice and it is currently road legal as it sits which is exactly what I was looking for and the price is excellent. I know if I do any work on this Dodge it is not going to be up to the standard this car deserves considering how scarce it appears to be compared to other Dodges. So my dilemma is should I attempt to do a restoration on the car I currently have which will be on a (very) tight budget and not totally correct or should I pass this along to someone who will do it right and pick up the 95% finished car as my project. Please forgive me for any stupid questions or comments since my vintage car knowledge is pretty limited. My main hobby is antique firearms restorations so I understand the collectibility aspect of uncommon pieces and I know how a bad restoration can affect the value of an item.

The car looks pretty savable, but given the statements that you posted, I would sell the Dodge and go for the 1939 Plymouth. The '39 sounds like it is more up your alley. If you have doubts about a quality restoration, I would go for the one that you can drive and enjoy whilst restoring.

Hi tater134,

Considering your thoughts in post #6, I would agree with "Keiser's" assessment. It's not that you wouldn't do the car justice, it is more that it is your first car (it sounds like) and I think you would like to enjoy the fun of driving an old car well before you would get to that point on the '37. The '39 is interesting in itself. May not be as rare as the '37 but there is something about being able to drive 'em when you buy 'em!

Now the trick will be to find a buyer that wants a full project like the '37, has the skills to pull it off, AND has the interest to keep it original! We sure would hate to see a rare one like that go to "rod". There will be plenty of help right here for you or whom ever ends up with it so encourage the buyer to hop on the Forum and get checked in after the purchase. Or if you keep it, you are in the right place!

BTW: There are some really great guys on the Plymouth Forum too! :)

I agree, sell it but understand that in its current condition no matter how few are left it is not worth a whole lot of money, many people come here asking similar questions and sometimes they are told about scarcity and they get the idea in their head that they have a pot of gold.

It usually does not work that way with alot of these old Dodges and I am sure yours is not going to be an exception unfortunately.

Find someone that has a real interest in seeing it restored and be ready to just about give it away, enjoy your Plymouth and post some pictures of that here when you have the time, we like Plymouths as well.

Guest tater134
I agree, sell it but understand that in its current condition no matter how few are left it is not worth a whole lot of money, many people come here asking similar questions and sometimes they are told about scarcity and they get the idea in their head that they have a pot of gold.

It usually does not work that way with alot of these old Dodges and I am sure yours is not going to be an exception unfortunately.

Find someone that has a real interest in seeing it restored and be ready to just about give it away, enjoy your Plymouth and post some pictures of that here when you have the time, we like Plymouths as well.

Thanks for the reply. As it sits right now what would be a fair price to ask for the car in the condition its in? Like you said it is rare but also in rough shape so its tough to put a value on something like that. I will most likely be going back to look at the Plymouth this afternoon. The owner of the garage where its parked seemed like a decent a guy and said he would have no problem holding on to the car until I figure out what I'm doing with the Dodge since hes not in a huge hurry to sell.

Hi Tater134, with something like this old Dodge you need to be in it for the long haul and that means commitment, so as my fellow enthusiasts have advised , you should probably move it on. As it stands, the car has very little value due to the amount of work required which will probably put off a lot of people who want everything in a hurry and are only interested in how much money they can make. I believe from what you have said that you will try to ensure it doesn't land in the wrong hands.

Best of luck with the Plymouth - I know the English version of that car and I think you will be well pleased!

Ray.

Guest tater134

With any antiques I sell I always try to make sure they end up in a good home and this car will be no different so no worries there. Most likely I'm going to attempt to get the engine running and then see about selling it. I managed to get the shifter freed up this morning without too much hassle. It was rusted solid but with a little heat and penetrating oil its good as new.

Any recommendations on where to start with the engine? Checked the dipstick and its full of oil and it turns over by hand. All the wiring appears to be pretty decent so I'm under the impression it was replaced at some point.

Guest tater134
Have you got the wheels?

Yes I have all 4 with the hubcaps. I had them off when I took the photos to remove the old rotted tires and to install the new ones so the car could be rolled around.

If as you say, the wiring is in good shape, it would seem that someone has done some work in that department. If you have a battery fitted and the ignition system is O.K. you are well on the way to having it running. See if there is a spark at the plugs. If the oil looks and feels O.K. and the radiator holds water she may just fire up with some fresh gas in the tank.

Probably wishful thinking on my part!

I know very little about value of that car, wouldnt even want to take a guess. It looks like its got A/C though ( no floorboards :) ) so anything with runnin A/C got to be worth a thousand bucks

Guest tater134
Please change the oil, oil filter and 'stuff' in the radiator before trying to start it...

Absolutely. The oil in the car isn't too bad looking but I'm going to change all the fluids before attempting anything. By the way I did check the numbers on the engine block today and it does have the D5 prefix.

Tater, Is there any way you can store both cars? Drive the '39 Plymouth and just let he Dodge sit for a while as you may find out, old cars are an addiction! You could slowly improve the Dodge only when you feel like it. Any improvements on it may be re-couped if you sell it a year or so from now. You could always leave the Dodge "in the rough", but mechanically improved. Those cars are always a huge hit at any car show! I'm just thinking out loud Tater, I certainly don't want to preach to you what you should do. Good luck on any decision you make, you're very lucky to run into two fine looking cars at once! I once had a '39 Plymouth and I remember it drove and shifted so easily, almost like driving a modern car. It was the first year for Plymouth to use the sealed-beam type headlamp bulbs. Some '39's had a floor shift and others had a column shift as I recall. Best regards, Pete.

Tater, Is there any way you can store both cars? Drive the '39 Plymouth and just let he Dodge sit for a while as you may find out, old cars are an addiction! You could slowly improve the Dodge only when you feel like it. Any improvements on it may be re-couped if you sell it a year or so from now. You could always leave the Dodge "in the rough", but mechanically improved. Those cars are always a huge hit at any car show! I'm just thinking out loud Tater, I certainly don't want to preach to you what you should do. Good luck on any decision you make, you're very lucky to run into two fine looking cars at once! I once had a '39 Plymouth and I remember it drove and shifted so easily, almost like driving a modern car. It was the first year for Plymouth to use the sealed-beam type headlamp bulbs. Some '39's had a floor shift and others had a column shift as I recall. Best regards, Pete.

Mmmm....I seem to remember my 1939 Plymouth having lenses and reflectors, but not sealed beams. Of course it would be great to have BOTH cars. Get tired of one and work on the other for a while.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest tater134
Tater, Is there any way you can store both cars? Drive the '39 Plymouth and just let he Dodge sit for a while as you may find out, old cars are an addiction! You could slowly improve the Dodge only when you feel like it. Any improvements on it may be re-couped if you sell it a year or so from now. You could always leave the Dodge "in the rough", but mechanically improved.

I would love to be able to have both cars but I just don't have the room to have both of them sitting around at the farm and I'd like to use any money I get from the Dodge to finish the Plymouth which is about 90-95% done. My plan for the Dodge was to get it running well and road worthy but leave it a little on the rough side with plans to do a nicer restoration later. Like a rat rod style for lack of a better term but without any chopping or modifications to the car.

Yup, I stand corrected! The '39 Ply. I had was a retro-fit sealed beam. The next year, '40, had the sealed beam standard equipment. Thanks for the clarification Keiser! Tater, again, good luck with you old car endeavors. The Plymouth is a great car as I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it. Don't forget to post a few pictures of it when you get a chance here on the Dodge Brothers forum. I think we'd all like to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tater134

Ray,

The missing hinge is actually inside the trunk which is packed with extra parts. Some are even new in the box. I know there's a brand new fuel pump in there somewhere. I haven't had a chance to dig through it yet to see what all is there but once I have some help to hold the trunk open I'll get the hinge installed and see what parts I have. The car is actually pretty solid. The only rot is a small patch in the drivers side floor near the battery box and there's some edge rot below the trunk but its worlds better than the Dodge. I'm still amazed that I stumbled upon two 1930's cars within a month since you just don't see them very often in my area.

-Nathan