1968 Ford Truck with 351 engine information needed

Guest 1930

Ok Pete, I have heard some people dont like changing a subject during a thread so Ill start a new one, I was gonna post this anyway as I need some help and I might not get too far on the Ford portion of this site since I dont see alot of responses to the majority of posts made there.

I know you said you wanted to see what I was up to so this is what I am up too, maybe you can answer this question for me, maybe Jack M since he is the lead modification expert as far as I know that is on this site.

I have a 68 351 that had power steering, I have removed the pump now I need to figure out how or whats needed to get the water pump pulley, alternator and dampner all lined up on the same belt.

Used to be that the dampner and the water pump and the P.S were on one belt, that allowed the tension to happen since the P.S pump could be moved. These were riding on the rear V portion of the pulleys.

The alt and dampner were on the other riding on the front V portion and of course the alt. moved to tighten the belt.

I would guess that I need a different set of Alt brackets maybe to move the Alt back and it looks like up( ? ) in order to clear the head.

The Alt is now pass side up top center of alt case is about even with valve cover if that makes any sense.

Maybe the alt needs to move from this location?

Any specific reference to specific vehicle I should be looking for in the boneyard for parts to make this happen would be most appreciated.

Any pictures of how to set-it up would be even better.

I guess I should be looking for another 351 without power steering, good luck with that though, there must be another year/model whatever that might have the parts I need, maybe I need to put a different pulley on the water pump? I am not a Ford expert so any ideas would make my life easier. Thanks again

post-48869-143139111761_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139111787_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for the thread Jason. This is really kinda tough, with all the local junkyards being gone. As you've probably guessed, a pulley/bracket change is in order here. Advance Auto stores are having a 20% off sale now on their manuals. Usually, up near the front counter is a rack full of repair manuals for specific vehicles. I can't for the life of me remember what name they go by. Not Chilton. If you can latch onto the one for that Ford truck, it will show the parts used for your purpose. Ask the counter man if those parts can be ordered now-a-days. They may be aftermarket, I'm sure, but it may work. Second thought about this pulley problem, You're removing the power steering from truck---Can you keep the pump on the truck to act as an "idler pulley"??? You'd need to weld up the outlet holes and keep oil in it for the pulley bearing, or did I miss something and this would be impossible?

Thanks Pete, I have this posted in a few other spots on the net and I know someone will eventually be able to tell me what I need. Id rather not have the dead weight of the pump still there acting as an idler pulley.

Not sure what you mean about local junkyards being gone, I can remember as a kid alot of great yards that I would visit in that area, are they shut down now?

Trouble was up there if you did find something neat the whole bottom of it would be rusted off so tough to find any decent body parts.

Yes, Jason, most all older yards are gone---LONG gone. The first thing that quelled them was the real estate boom, which made the dirt under the cars worth more than the old autos. Next came the "Green People" who said the leaking oil and anti-freeze was polluting the earth.(I can see that happening, but the "earth"??), then came the high price of scrap metal going over to China-or wherever, SO...no more old car junkyards.

Same thing here. We used to have some real crackers! In fact many of the cars we have now were rescued from the scrap yards. One of the legendry yards was Adversane which had such an atmosphere it inspired the poet Charnock to eulogise at length.

Anyway, Jason. If it was me, I think I would try making up a bracket or brackets to hold the alternator in line where you want it. If you made it with a pivoting / sliding adjuster you could set it up just right.

As to that four letter word.... F ++ d.....I thought bad language wasn't allowed on the forum! (chuckle)

Ray.

Guest DodgeKCL

I was told at a cruise the other day that there are still wrecking yards full of antiques in northern Ontario around Cochrane,pronounced Cock-ron, about 800 kilos north of me. Also in northern Quebec. We still have wrecking yards for modern vehicles around me here about 100 kilos north of Toronto and there is a huge yard on Steeles Ave. on the northern border of Toronto. They actually have 'sales' where you can pay $30 and take away everything you can carry by hand in one load. There is also a huge yard on the 401 Hwy. east of Toronto called Dom's. It actually burned about 10 years ago and they cleaned it out and filled it up again. Different country,different attitude.

Yes they do have to drain out the fluids because of ground water concerns. You can buy antifreeze for $1 a litre but I wouldn't put it in anything I own. Maybe alright for an old tractor. Oil is picked up by companies that 'recrack' it or something like that. It's mixed with virgin and sold as cheap in 1 L. and 4 L. cans. I've been known to buy my tires from the local wrecking yards. Cars have been known to end up in a wreck a couple of weeks after having new tires put on and I buy them for my cars. Usually priced around $20 each. New woud be around $100.

I just bought a 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible last month,original cost $40,616 Cdn.!!, and I'm 'restoring' it using parts from the local wreckers. (The bill of sale was still in the glovebox.)The tach was intermittent and the windshield washer/wiper tree was also dicey so I pulled a dash cluster and directional/wiper tree out of a Chrysler Concorde gave the guy $30 and put them in my Sebring. Can't keep a good Chrysler down.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Good to hear you guys have still got yards with antiques in them. I remember as a Kid spending hours on end scouring the remains of veteran and vintage cars long forgotten and looking sad; just waiting for someone to rescue them. The good thing was that at about that time the old car movement had just begun to get into it's stride so there were quite a few enthusiasts picking through the restoration projects - most of which had ended up in the yard because of the introduction of what was then the 10 year test (M.O.T.) Ironically, all testing has now been dropped for pre 1960 cars.

Fortunately, by the time our masters in the E.U. dictated that yards had to meet modern environmental standards, most of the nice stuff had been saved and what was left was either too far gone or not rare enough to attract a buyer.

I guess the world has moved on and we must make the best of it.

Ray.

I was told at a cruise the other day that there are still wrecking yards full of antiques in northern Ontario around Cochrane,pronounced Cock-ron, about 800 kilos north of me. Also in northern Quebec. We still have wrecking yards for modern vehicles around me here about 100 kilos north of Toronto and there is a huge yard on Steeles Ave. on the northern border of Toronto. They actually have 'sales' where you can pay $30 and take away everything you can carry by hand in one load. There is also a huge yard on the 401 Hwy. east of Toronto called Dom's. It actually burned about 10 years ago and they cleaned it out and filled it up again. Different country,different attitude.

Yes they do have to drain out the fluids because of ground water concerns. You can buy antifreeze for $1 a litre but I wouldn't put it in anything I own. Maybe alright for an old tractor. Oil is picked up by companies that 'recrack' it or something like that. It's mixed with virgin and sold as cheap in 1 L. and 4 L. cans. I've been known to buy my tires from the local wrecking yards. Cars have been known to end up in a wreck a couple of weeks after having new tires put on and I buy them for my cars. Usually priced around $20 each. New woud be around $100.

I just bought a 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible last month,original cost $40,616 Cdn.!!, and I'm 'restoring' it using parts from the local wreckers. (The bill of sale was still in the glovebox.)The tach was intermittent and the windshield washer/wiper tree was also dicey so I pulled a dash cluster and directional/wiper tree out of a Chrysler Concorde gave the guy $30 and put them in my Sebring. Can't keep a good Chrysler down.

They have the same sort of sales here, cant remember the cost but anything you can push pull or cary for next to nuthin, guys will put egines on hoods and drag them out.

They drain all the fluids here but as far as I know you cant re-purchase them.

Every time I bought a set of tires I had nuthin but bad luck ( flat spotted, eventual bulges ect ) so Im over that and just buy new.

Quote......... I remember as a Kid spending hours on end scouring the remains of veteran and vintage cars long forgotten and looking sad..............Just as a kid Ray, I still do that when I see one.

I did make the bracket with the 302 that Im replacing but it looked home made and I dont want that this time, Im narrowing down what I need at this point

Thanks Bill, it might be leaning toward the alt. brackets being different, the alt. being mounted in a different location when the engine was done without P.S. I have a Ford guy looking it it now for me trying to put together the part numbers so I can get the right stuff

Speaking of off topic trucks...

I may soon be able to get hold of my Grandfather's old farm truck - 1954 International R-180 in "barn find" condition. (I don't like using that term much...)

Stay tuned for updated sig line!!

Thanks, I was going to ask a moderator if it were possible to move a post like this once it had been made and had replies to another forum so that I might get a little bit of a wider audience.