Engine Paint 1932

Attached are the paint formulas I have shared with others. The paint is a blue/gray/green.

About 20 yrs ago I took original generator brackets from seven 1932 engines to get a paint match.

What a surprise, they were all a different shade.

The PPG paint vendor submitted a sample and I shared it with success.

In 1998 I took the paint into PPG and had it analyzed so we could reduce the number of mix colors and offer a

streamlined formula.

The PPG hand mix is on the left, the PPG DAR Acrylic Enamel is top right and the PPG DCC Concept is at bottom right.

I hope this is something you can use.

post-31787-143139107958_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
Would this be the same color as used on 1932 Dodges as well?

Thanks!

All of the original engines I have seen in the '32 Dodges are silver. I believe that 1931 was the last year for the green/gray.

If Phil's engine has never been rebuilt or re-painted, then I guess I am incorrect or it may have been a mid-year change like so many other items during the '30-'32 era.

My DB is a very early 32, made in the first month of production. It has a long tail light stalk, where Phil's (later in the production year) has a short stalk. His window shade brackets are also different than mine, but both are the originals. Chrysler probably used up what they had in stock and then started using the new supply. That could explain the engine color differences. Our cars may have been built in different plants - although I don't know if Dodge had more than one plant in 1932. I know 48 Plymouths made in California had different woodgraining than those made at the same time in Eastern plants.

Re the blue/gray/green engine paint in 7 different shades.

Some years ago I read an article in an antique car magazine about Ford Model T gray engine paint . Some people had done a lot of research but could never pin down the exact color, surviving original engine parts seemed to vary so.

Then someone turned up the information that they had a big vat or barrel at the Ford plant where they threw all the leftover paint. If you mix all different colors together, you get gray. This is what they used on engines and transmissions.

Wonder if other car factories used up old paint this way?

• 4 months later...
Guest Hjeltness Restoration

hello dep5, i was wondering if you could tell me if the 1932 Chrysler CO 6 cyl motor would be blue/gray/green or would they ever be semi gloss black? Also, if the block is blue/gray/green does that mean everything else is as well except for head which should be silver? eric@hjeltnessrestoration.com

Guest Hjeltness Restoration

hello dep5, i was wondering if you could tell me if the 1932 Chrysler CO 6 cyl motor would be blue/gray/green or would they ever be semi gloss black? Also, if the block is blue/gray/green does that mean everything else is as well except for head which should be silver? eric@hjeltnessrestoration.com

Attached are the paint formulas I have shared with others. The paint is a blue/gray/green.

About 20 yrs ago I took original generator brackets from seven 1932 engines to get a paint match.

What a surprise, they were all a different shade.

The PPG paint vendor submitted a sample and I shared it with success.

In 1998 I took the paint into PPG and had it analyzed so we could reduce the number of mix colors and offer a

streamlined formula.

The PPG hand mix is on the left, the PPG DAR Acrylic Enamel is top right and the PPG DCC Concept is at bottom right.

I hope this is something you can use.