advice on smoking brakes for a novice sought - a near disaster - Thank God I had an extinguisher!

Guest rhead

Guest rhead

My recently purchased 23 Olds Opera Coupe runs like a top and can climb local hills like a trooper, I discovered. However, coming down those hilly country roads is another story.

Today, I was lucky. Coming down a hill, smoke started pouring out of the rear of the car - I pulled over very quickly, to the smell of burning and blistering paint, and a nerve-wracking crackle. I grabbed my dry chemical extinguisher, and unloaded it on the rear passenger side brake and wheel. I was stopped next to a stream, and so grabbed a discarded plastic bottle and started pouring water on the drum, which was sizzling.

I got the car home the remaining mile with a quick stop at the local hardware for a new extinguisher. Albeit with almost no brakes (they were soaking wet then).

So - what is the likely damage, what should I do next? Besides change my shorts!

Will the car need new brake lining? Will the brakes be okay after drying out?

My recently purchased 23 Olds Opera Coupe runs like a top and can climb local hills like a trooper, I discovered. However, coming down those hilly country roads is another story.

Today, I was lucky. Coming down a hill, smoke started pouring out of the rear of the car - I pulled over very quickly, to the smell of burning and blistering paint, and a nerve-wracking crackle. I grabbed my dry chemical extinguisher, and unloaded it on the rear passenger side brake and wheel. I was stopped next to a stream, and so grabbed a discarded plastic bottle and started pouring water on the drum, which was sizzling.

I got the car home the remaining mile with a quick stop at the local hardware for a new extinguisher. Albeit with almost no brakes (they were soaking wet then).

So - what is the likely damage, what should I do next? Besides change my shorts!

Will the car need new brake lining? Will the brakes be okay after drying out?

Chances are that the brake lining will be scorched and possibly fractured (depending on the material they are made of). I would change them out.

Guest carlnut

And figure out why only one side got that hot. Most likely if both rears were ok, then it would have stopped better without so much heat on the one. (I'm assuming there are no brakes on the front)

I like to drive my '33 as if it had no brakes and try to keep the speed under control on longer down grades by shifting into second. Or even low if it is really, really steep. Seems like folk raised on power disc brakes don't nurse their tiny drum brakes along like I learned to "back when". They just run along in high and expect to be able to ride the brakes to keep the speed under control. Doesn't work that way with drum brakes.

Anyway, I concur with the previous posts: That much heat could have damaged the linings, dousing with cold water may well have warped the drum and if it was only on one side then the brakes may not have been adjusted properly for equalizing the stopping power on all wheels that the system uses. Opening up the side that got hot for inspection is the first step.

Guest Foggy norm

That sure sounds as though only one wheel was doing all the work, as Carlnut asked...any front brake's? It's not a good idea to pour cold water on a hot drum...all at once till cool, except in an emergency to prevent flames. Check your drum for crack's and distortion, new lube is in order on the bearings, inspect your brake cylinder and push some new fluid thru it. As Keiser said, the shoe lining may be shot. Your biggest issue is to figure out why this wheel was the only one working--or--was it draging for some time and expanded as it got hotter. If it were draging, it would have been noticable going UP hill's.

...inspect your brake cylinder and push some new fluid thru it. ... Your biggest issue is to figure out why this wheel was the only one working--or--was it draging for some time and expanded as it got hotter. If it were draging, it would have been noticable going UP hill's.

I was under the impression that all GM makes had mechanical brakes until the 1936 time frame... One issue with mechanical brakes is that the linkages must be properly adjusted to have equal braking on each wheel. Rumor has it that one panic stop can through it out of adjustment on some cars.

If I read the entry for '23 Olds in the Standard Catalog correctly, it is rear wheel brakes only.

I was under the impression that all GM makes had mechanical brakes until the 1936 time frame... One issue with mechanical brakes is that the linkages must be properly adjusted to have equal braking on each wheel. Rumor has it that one panic stop can through it out of adjustment on some cars.

If I read the entry for '23 Olds in the Standard Catalog correctly, it is rear wheel brakes only.

You should also check the wheel bearing on that side. A bad bearing could also cause this. I did not need a quote in my reply but it is the only option available. ??

Don't depend too much on 2 wheel brakes especially down hill. Leave the engine in gear take your foot off the gas and let the engine hold the car back. If you need to slow down apply the brakes sharpish, slow right down, then let it pick up speed again. Do not hold the pedal down and drag the brakes for long periods of time.