Accumulators

padgett

Just used my spare I bought from Amazon a few years ago for $121 so ordered another through Ronnies Store. Price is nice but

"Delivery estimate: July 23, 2012 - Aug. 14, 2012 [TABLE]

<TBODY>[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]"ACDelco 25528382 Pressure Accumulator"

Automotive; $96.50

Usually ships in 1 to 2 months[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

"

Say what ? Where are they coming from ? Do they have the white "made in Germany" sticker ? YWTK.

Store coming up fine here, do need to advise caution in using the Amazon "parts for your car", I go by part number of what works.

Still have the question for anyone who bought an accumulator in the last year: do they have the white "made in germany" sticker ?

Just used my spare I bought from Amazon a few years ago for $121 so ordered another through Ronnies Store. Price is nice but

"Delivery estimate: July 23, 2012 - Aug. 14, 2012 [TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]"ACDelco 25528382 Pressure Accumulator"

Automotive; $96.50

Usually ships in 1 to 2 months[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

"

Say what ? Where are they coming from ? Do they have the white "made in Germany" sticker ? YWTK.

Sorry that I can't answer your question about it being made in Germany for certain but the photo they provide of the accumulator shows that sticker being on it.

I'm wondering if it will actually take that long to get the accumulator. I usually watch the price of the accumulators and usually as they have less of them to sell the price goes up. The price staying the same and the shipping date being so far out just doesn't seem to be in line with the way Amazon normally does business. Please let us know when you get it.

I will be looking at the availability date as well as the price before I recommend someone buy an accumulator from The Reatta Store in the future. I'm not happy with it taking so long to get one of them.

Thanks for purchasing one of them from the Reatta Store.

As far as I can tell, all the accumulators are made in Germany by Teves (now Continental-Teves) or a supplier. No US supplier has ever made them and the one you get from GM have the GM number on the box but the unit is stamped Germany. Ford, Chrysler, SAAB, Jaguar. Audi and maybe some other auto makers used the Teves system back in the mid-'80's. I checked with my local SAAB parts department several years back and they did not have one in stock but said the Reatta unit I showed them looked like the one for SAAB, at that time the SAAB unit was over $300 retail.

Some of you may remember a post I started 2-3 years back asking people for the date code on their accumulator and if anyone could decode it.

I have always been suspecious that these were made in batches and then sent to the auto manufactures parts warehouses, which would then send them to distrubution points and finally to the dealer. This could mean a "new" accumulator could be sitting on a shelf for maybe years and slowly loosing its original nitrogen charge which is supposed to be above 600 psi (GM training manual dated 1993, page 3-29 says 600-1300 psi). Without some way of testing a "new" accumulator, you never know how good it really is.

There is one other possible source. I posted this at least a year back but have not followed up.

In Street Rodder magazine there was an article on adding power brakes to your street rod and they unsed a unit that had an accumulator that looked exactly like the Reatta unit. I called the company and was told that they had the units custom built and that they had actually installed a few accumulators on Reattas. Their price for an accumulator was $150, which would be worth the cost difference if you got a full charge. I never had time to follow-up and talk the principle at this company to make sure that everything the person I talked with was giving me the true story. The shop is in the LA area and someone there might go by and verify that the units are the same.

Last....if it ever gets to the point that we cannot get units thru the system from Teves, there are industrial accumulators available from hydraulic supplyers. Because most of these have a different thread on the screw-in end, an adaptor would be required. Because of space under the hood, it is unlikely this adaptor would allow the accumulator to mount in the standard location. Most likely, an adaptor hose would be required and the accumulator would be located below or off to the side of the master cylinder. With a little experimenting, we might find an accumulator that would have more capacity and last longer (maybe even be cheaper) than the Teves unit. I suspect nothing will happen on developing a substitute until we can no longer get the units from Teves.

I don't see the supply for these accumulators running out anytime soon. If the current stock runs low I believe the manufacture will make more. The reason I say that is because there is a demand for them by other vehicle brands. If you go to amazon and look at the 17 reviews of the ACDelco 25528382 accumulator, you will see the reviews are by owners of the Merkur Scorpio, Chrysler TC , Jaguar XJS, Saab 900 as well as the Buick Reatta. With that many brands mentioned out of just 17 reviews there must be a lot of other vehicle brands the accumulator will fit who's owners didn't bother to write a review. Since we are essentially group buying with the owners of other brands that use the same accumulator, the demand will likely be steady and the price will stay high enough that the manufacture will have an incentive to make more.

Guest Richard D

I am almost positive that the first generation Chrysler LH cars(Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, etc.) also used the same Teves system as GM did.

Guest crazytrain2

I just ordered an accumulator through your site with no problem Ronnie. Estimated delivery came back as July 25 - Aug 18. (I considered asking them if they could promise by no later than Noon on Aug 18) :)

I just ordered an accumulator through your site with no problem Ronnie. Estimated delivery came back as July 25 - Aug 18. (I considered asking them if they could promise by no later than Noon on Aug 18) :)
Thanks for letting me know. I'm curious as to how long delivery will actually take. Would you please let me know when you receive it?

Keep in mind that the GM Powermaster (GN) also used an accumulator that, by itself, looks a lot like the Teves but operates at a much lower pressure (700 psi). Of course the supplies of those seem even more limited.

Guest crazytrain2

Follow up on accumulator delivery status:

I received an (unsolicited) email update on delivery status of the accumulator I ordered pasted below.

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"ACDelco 25528382 Pressure Accumulator"

Previous estimated arrival date: July 25, 2012 - August 18, 2012

New estimated arrival date: July 12, 2012 - July 14, 2012

Did you receive a similar email Padgette?

Guest Kingsley

I had an interesting siituation recently in getting accumulator - not getting one but getting one off of my '90,107k, that was overworking the pump motor. Had my doubts for a while but enlisted a pair of strong hands to hold it while I used a bit of leverage on the allen wrench and she broke loose. Been sitting there for some 20 plus years and had really set up tight. All is well that ends well.

Kingsley

'89, '90 Coupes

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com ccnvertible tops, sun visor clips and two models of outstanding crank arms

I use a T handle on an 8mm allen socket. The T allows me to use pure twisting without leveraging the whole assembly. Just another special tool to have.

Surprise "Your estimated delivery date is: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 "

BTW the brakes felt fine, but the ABS wasn't working (lights went out on start as normal, and felt normal driving but as soon as I would hit hard, the yellow light came on & would go out shortly after release).

I emailed Amazon yesterday to inquire about the 1-2 month shipping estimate below is their reply. Not much help but at least they did reply quickly.

Today they show the accumulators as Temporarily Out Of Stock but they are still taking orders for them so they must think they will have more soon.

Padgett, glad to hear yours was shipped in a timely manner.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us at Amazon.com

I've checked into the availability of "ACDelco 25528382 Pressure Accumulator" and found that this title is listed on our web site with this availability estimate: "This item usually ships within 1 to 2 months."

I can assure you that we are working hard to obtain this item from our suppliers.

When you add items to your Shopping Cart and fill out our order form, you'll see an estimated date of shipment displayed on the final page of the order form, just before you submit the order. That date should help you determine the delivery estimate.

This estimation of your shipment date is based on the proximity of inventory to the delivery address, as well as how quickly we can obtain and assemble items for shipment.

Amazon.com

Never got an e-Mail but the accumulator arrived today in a small AC-Delco stickered box. Sealed in plastic bag but can see white "made in Germany" sticker. Looks like it has gone up 57c. Still under a Benjamin.

Guest crazytrain2

Recieved and installed my "Made in Der FatherLand" accumulator on the 17th of July. The pump runs for 15-20 seconds at start up, and the pressure is there when I use the brakes (albeit the typical spongy Teves ABS feel) But for some reason the Yellow Anti Lock ABS light won't extinguish. I'm also only getting 2-3 braking pumps before the pump starts? It's much better than it was just hope it's air in line or something simple that will eventually work it's way out.

Guest Mc_Reatta

2 to 3 pumps for a new accumulator ain't the greatest. We still don't know if these accumulators are really new or just NOS.

Accumulator has nothing to do with the yellow light. That's most likely a power issue (fuse or relay) or one or more wheel sensors are shot.

Does yellow light come on and stay on, or does it go out and come back on after your moving?

Recieved and installed my "Made in Der FatherLand" accumulator on the 17th of July.
Did you find a way to come back from the future to tell us about this? Just kidding. ;) I don't think new accumulator will fix an ABS malfunction other than the light flickering because the pressure drops for a second when the accumulator is bad. Go to this section of my website and follow the instructions for checking the ABS codes and checking the fuses and relays. If you have ABS codes stored post them here and maybe we can help you find the problem.

http://reattaowner.com/roj/repair-information/repair-tutorials-a-information/category/84-brakes-electrical

Guest crazytrain2

And normally I'm a day late and / or a dollar short. Actually I was hospitalized all last week so still foggy, I was released on Friday the 13th which is when I installed the accumulator but it was delivered on Tuesday the 10th.

Yellow stays on all the time, but I been driving it with only the power that pump could develop during braking (so basically non powered brakes) for last 3 years. I consider myself lucky for not having burned up pump motor and that I didn't keel over while installing new one.