Dodge Brothers 26 Coupe - 12v ... How do I jump the car?...need to ride in the 4th of July Parade

Guest scliim

Guest scliim

Hey loyal DB folks,

I have an old '26 DB Business Coupe that I promised I'd drive in the 4th of July Parade for the Cub Scouts... I can't get the car started using the key. For some reason when I put in the key and turn to the Right, (with the clutch and brake pressed), I don't hear the generator motor kick on (...that wonderful little humming noise). However, when I stepping on the starter button, the motor turns over vigourosly but the engine doesn't fire...

Up to this time I've driven the car freely and it starts up the first time each time...even in the winter. At first I thought the battery didn't have enough charge so I charged the battery, lights come on, the starter turns the engine but not generator noise. I think something is wrong with the ingition switch and it's not making contact... as the Ammeter doesn't move when I turn the key, nor do I hear the generator.

I think that if I could somehow bypass the starter switch, I should be able to get power to the Ammeter and thus to the generator.

So my question is: if I took a lead and clipped it to a solid ground, and then clipped the other end to the negative post on the Ammeter, would that effectively bypass the switch and allow power to flow to the Ammeter and eventually the Generator...and let me drive the car as long as that connection is maintained?

Not good enough with electricity to understand why the starter switch (on the floor) is getting power but not the Ammeter /Generator.

I've added a diagram to describe what I want to do.

I want to drive the car in the 4th of July Parade for the Cub Scouts but cannot get the darn thing started.

post-80209-143139081123_thumb.jpg

Please let me know.

Shawn

Guest scliim

...now that I spelled the whole thing out, I now wondering if it's the connection to the ingnition coil thats not connecting...or maybe has a short... I guess I need to better understand what is (...or should be) making the 'humming' noise when in turn key...is it the generator, or something in the ingnition?

Guest brian j

I have an old 1919 DB. It doesn't hum at all with the silent starter. I wonder if yours is supposed to "hum". I have heard of voltage regulators humming when they are not in the correct polarity. It makes the regulator points push out instead of drawing the points together, causing a vibrating "hum",eventually causing problems. Although i'm not familiar with a 26' car so this is just a guess.

Guest scliim

Thanks for responding. Just to let you know that I finally solved the problem...and just before getting to the point of doing something stupid. I found a photo of the dash board my son had taken while we were driving the vehicle. It showed the position of the Key in the 'on' state, at a 45 degree turn to the right...where I was at the time only able to get the key to turn just a fraction to the right... So I fiddled with the key in the ignition and wiggled it around and finally it gave...allowing me to turn it all the way to the right. The Ammeter moved, and the humming noise began...and I started her up on the first try!!!! Whooohooo!

So I'm still curious to know where the humming noise is coming from. Not sure if it's the generator or the starter button on the floor board. I checked with the original owner and he said the noise has always been there and is his indication that there is a spark to the engine. My documentation doesn't describe what this is so still need to figure it out...

So the car will be in the parade tomorrow!!!

It's got to be your reverse-current relay in the starter button box in floor that you hear humming. I'm sure your polarity is hooked up right, you're driving the car and everything works OK, battery is charging OK, etc... Many starter boxes are over-looked for restorations, the iron box only has a thin paper gasket to keep all moisture out. The old contact points in there are corroded and weak windings on the coil will give the humming effects you hear. That unit may be on borrowed time.

Here's a photo of a real "hummer". This came out of my parts bin of early Dodge parts, When I applied 12 volts to it, I found that the coil is weak and she "hums" out loud. Scliim, If you trace your fuel line from stem to stern, you will find out if you've got an electric fuel pump or not. They do hum also. Many folks install an electric pump in place of the Stewart tanks, because of damage to the tank, or they just don't understand them, followed by mistrust of the simple but effective vacuum tank system most all auto's incorporated prior to 1929, Ford being the major exception. I still use nothing more than the original Stewart tank vacuum system. When rebuilt correctly, that system is pretty fool-proof.

Guest scliim

As always i always get great advice and also learn something new. After the parade, mybsone and I traced the humming sound... Though it sounds like its coming from the starter switch on the floor, it is really coming from the 'new' electric fuel pump that is mounted on the fire wall next to where the steering column comes through... This now sets me on the path of researching the original fuel intake system. I'll post some pics of the car in the parade.

Guest scliim

...that is not me in the 'Uncle Sam' photo...but you can see the electric fuel pump just above the steering column... now I want to find an original fuel pump...

post-80209-143139088633_thumb.jpg

Guest scliim
post-80209-143139088637_thumb.jpg...that is not me in the 'Uncle Sam' photo...but you can see the electric fuel pump just above the steering column... now I want to find an original fuel pump...

Guest 1930

Your original fuel delivery system is there, the big canister next to the electric pump, find out whats missing/wrong with it and use it