Need New Battery

ice man

I've had an OEM reproduction of an R-59 battery for 7 years. I believe it was manufactured by the now defunked New Castle Battery. This winter I put it on a battery tender which was suppose to shut off when fully charged. Upon my return home from wintering in Florida I found that all the electrolite was boiled out, and the battery was toast. It appears there is no longer a distributor of such batteries in my local area, and was told Antique Battery out of Hudson Ohio was the only source. I called them and found out that they make an AMG maintainance free unit ( which would be a plus as far as corrosion is concerned) for a pricey $250.00. Has anyone out there had any dealings with this company and if so the pro's and con's please. I'm willing to go the cost if they make a quality product and I can expect the service I received from my previous battery. Thank's

Tom

I bought an R-59 battery topper for my 1967 Buick first cousin car that starts with an "O" last year. The problem I ran into was to fit over the top of another battery it was too wide to use the original battery hold down bracket.

Your absolutely right,I never gave that a thought! I was able to purchase a topper locally and found an Interstate battery that would accept the top and fit halfway decent, but hadn't yet installed them in the car. I just went and tried the hold down over the topper and just as you said it's too big. I think I can force it over without damaging or cracking the topper, but I may have to modify the hold down bracket.

Tom

I have dealt with Antique Auto Battery successfully many times. Their batteries are excellent reproductions however the wet cell type will only last 3 to 5 years from my experience. If you use a post top cover you can typically tell it is just a cover.

Seven years ago Antique Auto Battery introduced their gel type maintenance free battery for $225 that you mentioned. Seven years later mine is still in the car and working. <O:p></O:p>

Ron:

Glad to hear you've had good luck with your gel battery from Antique Battery. It's something I'll remember for future use. Since I had already purchased the topper so I could use it to locate a battery to fit, and purchased that, I decided to keep what I had. Today I fabricated a duplicate hold down clamp and made it to fit the topper without the issue of the original clamp being to tight on the plastic. Coated it with truck bed liner spray and you can't tell it from the original. Down the road I'll probably opt for the gel one from Antique Battery and put this set-up in my other GS. I'm attending the Arthritis Foundation show next week and needed a battery NOW. Just not enough time to pull it all together.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input in this matter.

Tom

Guest Kingoftheroad
Ron:

Glad to hear you've had good luck with your gel battery from Antique Battery. It's something I'll remember for future use. Since I had already purchased the topper so I could use it to locate a battery to fit, and purchased that, I decided to keep what I had. Today I fabricated a duplicate hold down clamp and made it to fit the topper without the issue of the original clamp being to tight on the plastic. Coated it with truck bed liner spray and you can't tell it from the original. Down the road I'll probably opt for the gel one from Antique Battery and put this set-up in my other GS. I'm attending the Arthritis Foundation show next week and needed a battery NOW. Just not enough time to pull it all together.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input in this matter.

Tom

Tom,

If your using a topper, you might consider buying a Duralast battery from AutoZone, about $80 last time I bought one. I've used these batteries for many years and I consistently get 7 yrs or more of service using them in my classics..

Delco Group 60K Reproduction Battery - Restoration Battery

60k.gif 60ktop.gif 60klogo.gif 60kcap.gif

« GM Classic Car Reproduction Batteries

I do NOT recommend these reproduction batteries!

I had A group 60 reproduction in my Roadmaster for a couple of years. If, the engine didn't crank in just a few revolutions, the battery would run out of power. If, the car sat for more than a few days, the battery could not get the carburetor primed before the starter would be turning too slow to make the engine run. Since then I have learned that, these reproduction batteries are a much smaller side post battery inside a case that have the dimensions of the correct battery. A battery that is too small can cause undue wear on the starter and charging system.

I have since replaced the reproduction with a 27 series from NAPA. It's not the correct battery for my car. But, it fits (1/2" difference in each direction) in the hold down bracket. And it provides ample starting power. Even after sitting for a week or more.

I recommend you using the battery topper on your interstate battery.