'28 DB Std 6 question on installing caster wedge

P Bohlig

I finally got around to ordering a pair of 2 & 1/2 degree caster wedges from NAPA. The NAPA part # is 2644104. The part had a wide deep groove on the bigger side and it looks like it slides in. The Chilton 1931 reproduction book lists caster as 2 & 2/3 degrees. Could not find one that precise. Presently have no caster shim or a way to measure current caster.

The questions are:

1. The fat end goes to the front?

2. It appears the front axle must have an indentation on each side for the bolt head or the nut for the bolt holding the 9 spring leaves together? If true this would help align the springs, frame and wheels?

3. If I loosen the 4 nuts on each side of the bracket which holds the spring to the axle and slide in the shim will the bolt head or nut still be enough in the indentation in the axle?

4. I would rather slip the shim in than have take out the bolt holding the 9 leaves together and then run the bolt through the shim and the leaves.

Several people on this forum have added caster and I would appreciate a post from someone who has installed them on this type of axle setup explaining how they installed the caster wedge.

Thanks

Paul

I finally got around to ordering a pair of 2 & 1/2 degree caster wedges from NAPA. The NAPA part # is 2644104. The part had a wide deep groove on the bigger side and it looks like it slides in. The Chilton 1931 reproduction book lists caster as 2 & 2/3 degrees. Could not find one that precise. Presently have no caster shim or a way to measure current caster.

The questions are:

1. The fat end goes to the front?

2. It appears the front axle must have an indentation on each side for the bolt head or the nut for the bolt holding the 9 spring leaves together? If true this would help align the springs, frame and wheels?

3. If I loosen the 4 nuts on each side of the bracket which holds the spring to the axle and slide in the shim will the bolt head or nut still be enough in the indentation in the axle?

4. I would rather slip the shim in than have take out the bolt holding the 9 leaves together and then run the bolt through the shim and the leaves.

Several people on this forum have added caster and I would appreciate a post from someone who has installed them on this type of axle setup explaining how they installed the caster wedge.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, dont know if you realize it but you can by a very inexpensive inclonometer at harbor freight that will do just fine

1) The fat side should be facing the back of the car. 3) Make show the hole in the middle of the wedge is large enough for the spring nut/bolt to fit into.4)slip the shim in,there is no need to undo the leaf bolt.

I think if you wedge was 1/8 rather than 1/4 it would be more than sufficient;that is the size I fitted to my front axle, which completely stop the wheels shimming

Guest John1918

Hi Paul, I have been battling this problem for 3 years now and finally reached a satisfactory solution. I copied and pasted my last post which I made in March 2012. It may be of help. The car is now lighter in the steering and does tend to wander a bit but overall it is MUCH nicer to drive now. John

Re: Victory Six Steering<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->At last, after trying almost everything and thinking I had cured the problem each time I have had a breakthrough. I asked all of the owners of cars which didn't have the problem to check, and yes, every car had wedges between the front axle and the springs. I looked through my pile of spares and located a Standard 6 axle with springs attached and that had wedges that looked like they had been there a long time. I transferred the wedges to my car and the problem was gone! Now as I go over rough ground I can still feel a slight "rattle" in the steering but it dissappears straight away. The wedge size is 4" x 1 3/4" x 1/4" with a 5/8" hole in the centre. The 1/4" tapers to zero at the other end and the wedge is installed with the fat end at the FRONT, the leading edge of the axle. Easy to install, loosen off the U-bolts enough to let the bolt through the spring locate in the 5/8" hole in the wedge and jack up the car with the jack under the spring. John<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<FIELDSET class=postcontent><LEGEND>paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>123984d1332736504t-victory-six-steering-axle-wedges3.jpg </FIELDSET>

Thanks; your post was what I was looking for but could not locate. I did buy an angle gauge from Harbor Freight. It is digital. The passenger side read 89.90 or a caster of 0.1. The driver side read 89.3 or a 0.7 caster. Awful hot in the afternoons here, around 100 f. So, need to work oon it early.

Paul Bohlig, Dallas Texas area

There is a minimum or reccomended caster angle for your car and if you cannot find it let me know. I have it, just dont know where. All I can try and do is find it if needed

Thanks for your help. Now the difficult part: getting the 4 nuts off each spring holder. I have tried W-D 40 and Liquid Wrench. I got one nut to move on driver's side using a 3/4 inch wrench with a 2 foot braker bar extension.

On another nut the only thing which seemed to move was the torsion on the wrench. In the past I have tried using heat. And other times have broken off bolts by trying too much torque.

Don't know if it is old age or humility. But would appreciate your thoughts on what worked for you.

Paul

I heat the nuts along with a good spray, get the nut hot than I douse it with the spray and let it fizzle and keep spraying it in knowing its working its way down

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, DCE said:

Interesting older thread!  So is the thick part of the wedge to front or rear of the vehicle?

The front wheels on a car should have positive castor, to achieve this the front axle is tilted back from the vertical (on our cars by way of the kingpins)

IMG_0809.jpeg.63f8cd4c00cd676b4cf6a0bcc95e4f60.jpeg

On a car with the spring mounted on top of the axle.
Adding tapered shims to the top of the axle below the spring will require the thick end to be to the rear of the car.

On a car with the spring mounted below the axle.

Adding tapered shims to the bottom of the axle on top of the spring the thick end needs to be towards the front of the car.

In each of the above examples mentioned the tapered shim tilts the axle top backwards from the vertical providing positive camber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1