auto choak 1936 dodge

amigo

I have an auto choke on my 1936 dodge I saw an auto choke for sale on e bay and it had what looked like an asbestos pad for a gasket . I don't have anything between the heat sensor and the manifold what goes their ? I would like to know

Yes. There is supposed to be an asbestos gasket between the auto choke mechanism and the exhaust manifold for the mechanism to pull off at the correct pace. Without the gasket, the choke would pull off too quickly and may cause hard starting / poor cold idle at low ambient temperatures. (But you don't have those down there much!)

Nope. It needs an insulating factor. Metal or "air" will not do it considering how hot the manifold gets. I have seen these gaskets for sale. I just need to try and remember where. Maybe think of where you can locate a piece of asbestos woven material. Like maybe an old pot coaster thing (aluminum sheet with a flat sheet of asbestos under it and crimped around the edges). Was a popular kitchen accessory in the '50's and '60's.

My local auto supply store sells sheet stock material for high temperature gaskets. Not asbestos nowadays but some modern material. Had it in the thickness I needed for an application on a manifold. You might want to ask at your "local better auto supply".

I think some of the parts suppliers carry the gasket and I think they might be included in a complete gasket set! Like 1936d2 said,they must have a gasket for them to work right and with the correct parts available there's no reason to fudge! I just went to look at my new gasket and it seems to be hand cut from a piece of stock material about 3/32 in. thick. It is a sandwiched gasket with metal between an insulating material. Any good (real) auto parts store should stock this type material by Victor,Fel-Pro,Etc. Try a NAPA store!

• 2 years later...