1955 Buick Special or Century Convertible Body

urslo

I'm in the process of restoring my 1955 Special 2 door hardtop.

The body is on a rotisserie now and the fenders, trunk and hood are done.

Considering changing the body to a convertible and using the rest of my finished body parts.

If you have a decent convertible car body please call or email.

Thank You,

Ronald Pyles

Shreveport, La

Ph. 318-221-8924

Ron@hopecontractors.com

Ronald,

Being a convertible owner, the frames are "alike" but NOT the same. The center of the frame at the X is beefed up on a convertible and usually the front frame near the cowl section is beefier metal because of the flex that a convertible car exerts on the frame. There is no rigid framework of door pillars and roof section to help support the car.

You could do it, but would need to look at a convertible car to beef things up at the right spots.

Or, you could just do what you want. Just trying to help ya out.

Matt

Guys thanks for the intel. I'll check my service manual for any differences. My hardtop frame does have the additional body mount holes for the convertible cab and that's what gave me the impression that they could share frames.

If anyone has any photos of a 55 convertible chassis I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ron Pyles

The parts book says the convertable and HT frames are NOT the same. I KNOW from experiance the HT X member is fabricated from thinner steel. But hey, if they look the same to you have at it................Bob

Maybe someone can help me who has a convertible frame.

I measured my hardtop frame for thickness:

Exterior C channels .115"

X brace .090"

X brace center top and bottom .180"

I would like to buy a 1955 Century or Special convertible body or project car

Thank You,

Ronald Pyles

post-70949-143138996857_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics and some info that you might be interested in.

I know 1950 thru 1956 (maybe other earlier years too?) Buick frames are somewhat similar in design, consisting of exterior parallel rails with an interior X-member. Also, they have outboard body-to-frame supports varying in number depending on the series, model or year. Inboard body-to-frame supports are usually provided on convertible frames only. Front and rear cross members are different depending on the series, model, and year.

Here's what I know of 1953 Buick Super and Roadmaster convertible frames, but I'm guessing that this would apply to 1950 thru 1956 convertible frames also. I might be wrong. 1953 convertible frames have what I call FISH PLATES (structural steel engineer's lingo), continuous 1.5" wide x .250" (nominal) thick steel bars, welded to the underside only of the four 6.5" x 1.5" x .250" (nominal) channels comprising the X. The four channels comprising the X are welded to a center 5.75"-square member that has a .375" (nominal) thick top flange and a .500" (nominal) bottom flange. The webs of the four channels comprising the X are cut to form the web of the center square member. An interesting item to note is that the outer parallel rail channels, at least for the length of the X member, are smaller and lighter, 5.5" x 1.5" x .125" in size.

The first four pics are of my 1953 Buick Skylark (Roadmaster series) convertible frame SITTING UPSIDE DOWN on a rotisserie clearly showing the FISH PLATES, with factory welds, talked about above. Pic #2 shows an inboard body-to-frame support. The last pic is of my 1953 Buick Skylark body mounted on the rotisserie clearly showing the underbody-to-frame supports, a combination of both full width and partial width, that are unique to this 1953 convertible and not identical to what you would see under a 1953 sedan or hardtop body. The number and location of the full width supports give the convertible body the needed rigidity.

Hope this helps you out when you're thinking about switching to a convertible body.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139063464_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139063488_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139063511_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139063535_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139063558_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al,

That's the information I needed. The frames are definitely different.

I guess my search will lead me to a complete project convertible car.

That's all I need another total restoration.

You can't take it with you. Thank goodness my kids are grown.

Thank you,

Ron Pyles

Urslo:

I'm curious to know or see a pic of what you have for the underbody-to-frame supports underneath your 1955 Special hardtop body. Any pics to post?

To other 1950 - 1956 Buick owners:

Do you have a pic of the underside of your sedan, hardtop, or convertible body or frame that you could post for comparison?

Thanks.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

"I told my wife that I'm done buying anymore Buick projects, unless I find another one" :)

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Mike,

I can't tell if there is more supports under your body.

I was hoping that's where the major differences would be.

I know there are inner and outer body mounts on yours where there are only outer body mounts on my hardtop body.

Thanks,

Ron Pyles

• 2 weeks later...