Another '38 Coupe...

Guest RainierHooker

Guest RainierHooker

Hey guys, I posted a thread about my project in the 'Me and my Buick' Section and was referred here for an introduction... So here I am.

Anyway, not too long ago I wound up bringing home a 1938 Special Business Coupe. It's, mostly, all there and after a couple months-worth of weekends, it really is a pleasure to drive. I'll be trying to keep a semi-well updated project thread back in my original topic, here: http://forums.aaca.org/f163/rainierhookers-38-buick-46-coupe-327757.html

...I'll be sure to check back here too, especially when I need some tribal-knowledge.

Cliff-Note type plans include:

-Driving the car as much as possable

-Continuing/Re-doing/Un-doing the previous owner's partial amatuer restoration

-Returning the car to it's original color scheme of Whistler-Grey Body, Dante-Red Wheels, and Bedford Tan Cord Interior

-And Driving the car as much as possable

Here's a few pics of the car's current state:

DSC_3534edtWeb.jpg

DSC_3565edtWeb.jpg

DSC_3591adjWeb.jpg

R-H

What a "monicker". You aren't really one are you ?

Anyway, welcome to you and your fine ride. Grant and Danny will also catch wind of this post and surely chime in and make you a '38 team member.

There is a lot of info re your ride on this forum. Take some w/ a grain of salt and use your best judgement. You can do a search up top, and find that almost every subject under the sun has been discussed at one time or another, and there are lots of opinions out there.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

PS Do what Jolly-John made me do. Get a mechanics handbook AND a parts book !!!!

It helps us identify all those hard to find parts you will be looking for.....

Edited by FLYER15015
more info (see edit history)

I must say it is a bit remiss of us to have not given a hardy "Welcome to the Pre War board" as yet.

So... Welcome to the board !!!

Your '38 tis truly a thing of beauty and I look forward to seeing and hearing more of it.

Now all you need is a '39 to make a perfect pair and you'll be up there with the some of the bestest blokes on the forum. :):)

Danny

( Sorry, having a full of myself afternoon :) )

Guest Grant Magrath

See RH? I told you the guys would be pleased! Welcome aboard! And I'll second Danny!

Cheers

Grant

Guest stephen48

Nice car. I have only seen one of these 38 coupes in NZ.(many sedans though) Grant do you know of any down South ?

Guest RainierHooker

Thanks guys, I look forward to posting updates and picking brains around here.

As to the moniker, I'm a Flight Engineer on Chinook helicopters. For the longest time Chinook crews have referred to each other as "Hookers". My first aircraft was christianed "Rainier" after a hometown brew (although I told the 10th Mountain Division, who I was attached to, that it was named after the mountain of that name). So, RainierHooker's the name...

RH,

Welcome and yes I am sure you will enjoy the ride.... Are you located in the Northwest?

Actually, I like the red color. I am just finishing another Buick with Burgandy Red paint, but it is a bit older than yours. I also have a Whistler Grey 38 Buick with original interior if you need to see one.

If you have not already joined the BCA, plese do and send me your BCA number so I can add you to the PreWar Division roster. We will email quarterly newsletters and invite you to join us on tours and other activities with the BCA.

Guest RainierHooker

Thanks, I've joined the BCA, but don't have my number handy at the moment. I'll send you a message with the info when I can.

I'm up in Tacoma, and would love to see your car and pick your brain.

If the paint was as good as it looks in pics, I'd leave it as is. Unfortunatley, it was definately done very cheaply in the past. Probably a Maaco or Earl Scheib job. Its flaking pretty good around the hood closures and a few other places, and has orange peel throughout. There doesn't seem to be any primer under there either. Looks good from afar, but afar from good. My interior is more of the same. All in all, its nothing that will keep me from driving the car untill I can get around to fixing things as I go...

Guest Grant Magrath
Nice car. I have only seen one of these 38 coupes in NZ.(many sedans though) Grant do you know of any down South ?

Haven't seen any myself, but you never know who has what tucked away down here!

Cheers

Grant

RH,

Be sure to keep May 16th open for the All Buick Show in Puyallup WA... I will be there with my 12 Buick this year. I actually found and bought my 38 at that show a few years ago..

The first two photos are my car at that show...before I bought it...

post-41092-143138969872_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138969879_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138969885_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138969923_thumb.jpg

Mark,

I don't mean to sidline this forum, but in looking at the tires (tyres) on your '38, they seem to have "ridges" in the white wall.

Can you tell me what make/size they are.

I'm still running my Martins, and they look good, but for a driver, I am considering an update.

Best Regards,

Mike in colorado

• 7 months later...

I purchased RainierHooker's 38 Special on 12/7/12. I've sent Mark Shaw request regarding info on joining the club. The car is in storage in WA for the winter. I plan on trailering to to AK next summer. Plans are to relocate to East TN during 2014, after my wife retires next December.

I'd like information on joining the 37/38 Club or group as well. I've perused some of the pdf files of the Bugle. One of interest was brake upgrades, using larger 41-49 Roadmaster parts. I think a contributer mentioned swapping in later knuckle/spindles as well. I'm curious to know whether the 50-53 Special knuckle/spindles will fit a 38 Special?

Thanks! JR

Hi John,its me again :)....

John, why do you wanna grade up your Brakes ?

My Brakes are OEM in absolutly perfect Condition (Parking Brake,too and of course, a hard Pedal Pressure ). I drive on fast Autobahn with sometimes short Exits and dangerous Traffic Jams ,confused,wooded Country Roads and in our Small hectic Citys with many stupid Traffic User.

I never feel unsave.

Hello Jens,

I'm not ready to upgrade them just yet. Evan went through the brakes before he sold the car to me. I'm looking forward to the future. I just figure 50-55 Roadmaster brakes front and rear (2.5 & 2.25 inches) will be better than the narrower 1938's, and probably easier to obtain drums for. And there's always the option of converting it to 4 wheel disc brakes. However, I allow the latter route might be considered out of character for the car. Still looking for you a spare 3 speed.

Here's a link to an early publication of The Torque Tube regarding brake upgrages for 1937/1938 Series 40 and 60 Buicks, look at page 14 of the file: http://www.1937and1938buicks.com/The-Torque-Tube/Volume%20I%20Issue%205%20(May%2026,%201982).pdf

You'll find the above article updated on page 20 of this file: http://www.1937and1938buicks.com/The-Torque-Tube/Volume%20XII%20Issue%202%20(November-December%201993).pdf . I presume it was published twice due to reader interest in such upgrades.

Edited by JR9162 (see edit history)