1936 dodge fuel pump

amigo

Man no sooner than I brag on how great my fuel pump works the system takes a crap. This thing ran great smooth then it stopped getting gas. The tank is low but still has gas I removed the fuel pump and undid the gas line at the tank and i could blow through the line. I put a new pump on and primed the bowl and nothing priming the carb works it runs the gas out and thats it. This weekend ill try and set up a gas can and run a line from the pump and see what happens . I WILL NOT PUSS OUT AND Put AN ELECTRIC PUMP on this car . My real question could it be the cam or some thing is wrong inside the motor ?:confused: This thing ran like a sewing machine and just quit like it ran out of gas

This could be a problem INSIDE the fuel tank. I once had a '38 Chevy that had a partially rusted through gas suction tube in the tank. When I got down to about one quarter of a tank, I would "run out of gas". See if you can see in the tank with a strong flashlight, you may be able to see the condition of the suction tube. You definitely have a good troubleshooting thought of trying the can of gas trick, resting on cowl, just be careful.

Guest 1930

Not the cam, maybe the arm that rides on cam but dout its the cam, maybe diaghram is just bad. Remove the pump, stick your finger over the suction hole and move the arm on the backside back and forth, see what you feel

Guest 1930

Years ago I sent out a pump to have a professional rebuild it, worked fine first few trips out then stopped working, he forgot to put the cotter pin on that attaches the contact arm onto the metal plate underneath diaphram. Came apart internally.

Take it off and check things out again, maybe there is a spring on your pump under the arm that has somehow gone sideways.

There are 2 valves located in most of this style pump. The inlet valve located under the large nut above the fuel bowl and the outlet valve located under the air dome. On original pumps the air dome is removable but it may not be in the later versions. One of these valves may be fowled by dirt or debris from the tank or lines. Also check to make sure that the fuel strainer screen is not plugged. Check to ses if the pump is pumping by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb or pump,then crank the engine with the ignition off.If it's pumping the fuel should squirt out . Make sure that the fuel bowl is tight as it will suck air if loose. Also make sure that the flex line to the pump has not collapsed. Also the pump may be pumping too much fuel flooding your carb causing rough idleing ,shutting off and hard starting.

Man this is a real perplexing problem. Ive done all that and then some .If its imposable to be some thing wrong with the cam then Im going to get a pump from Kanter and try that . The pump is from the same engine but from a book that would only go back to 1941 and a Plymouth . Its the second one ive tried the first was great and ran so great I though the diagram must be messed up so they ordered another . The thing matched up to the original great . Im going to have to take off the one on my original car and realy compare Ill do that tomarrow and c where that gets me

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying that your 36 Dodge has the same pump as a 41 Plymouth. The arms that ride on the cam are different. Also, if they are new old stock pumps, the new gas will eat up the diaphragm in a mater of hours.

Are you saying that your 36 Dodge has the same pump as a 41 Plymouth. The arms that ride on the cam are different. Also, if they are new old stock pumps, the new gas will eat up the diaphragm in a mater of hours.

Imgessing its the wrong pump and have ordered a new one for a 1936 from kanter but they also said their was 2 different pumps for that year, the thing ran great for a wile the diagram was fine it sucked still has to be some thing with the lever. They gave me another 41 plymouth pump but it still didn't work.Kanters came in the mail today and we will see. The 41 also matched up to the one that was on their but not to say that one was wrong

Had a problem a couple of years ago with a car I had just bought, same symptoms as you're having. Turned out to be the flexible hose on the suction side of the pump. While it looked great on the outside, it was actually porous and allowed the pump to suck air through the hose walls, rather then suck gas from the tank. A new hose cured the problem.

Good luck!

Had a problem a couple of years ago with a car I had just bought, same symptoms as you're having. Turned out to be the flexible hose on the suction side of the pump. While it looked great on the outside, it was actually porous and allowed the pump to suck air through the hose walls, rather then suck gas from the tank. A new hose cured the problem.

Good luck!

Man thanks for the tip it realy makes sence I purchsed an NSO flex line from ebay I tryed a small tank in case any gas lines had some leak but the flex hose was still in play . I blew through the flex hose with the tempoary hose from the small tank it was clear but it could still be porous. Its frustrating becuase i have such good spark and it ran so well befor

Guest 1930

From the mailntenance manual.............

Two designs of fuel pums have been used; one known as the vertical style and the other as the inverted style. The principal distinction being the position of the cam follower arm or rocker arm. ..............

I can see the differences because it has pictures, maybe it would help if I posted them but dont have the time this minute, its all in the arm as they say

If the lever was working though than I see no reason for it to have just stopped, pretty drastic change in the levers

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

From the mailntenance manual.............

Two designs of fuel pums have been used; one known as the vertical style and the other as the inverted style. The principal distinction being the position of the cam follower arm or rocker arm. ..............

I can see the differences because it has pictures, maybe it would help if I posted them but dont have the time this minute, its all in the arm as they say

If the lever was working though than I see no reason for it to have just stopped, pretty drastic change in the levers

tHANKS A BUNCH Yea it is crazy the thing ran great good pick up the auto choak worked great it was cool how it would idle down after warming , drove fine thanks for the help

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO HAVE LIFT OFF. I put the pump I received from Kanter auto parts today. Once again the part was great original and rebuilt to new condition. The cover at the bottom of the pump looks cool the fasteners are the original slotted head type and best of all it works great and runs great. Turns out the 41 must have a different cam motion the arm looks the same but this new pump from kanter is great. Thanks for all the help ill post a pic of the pump this weekend