save this car!

R.White

E-bay item # 270966485891

This hot rodder didnt even care enough about this particular car to find out what year it was before he destroyed it, no-one getting hurt?? I feel a great sorrow and pain for this little Dodge that minded its own buisness all these years until this idiot came along.

Wait till next week, there will be at least 3 more that have met similar fates.

Not to start anything, but where does it say the guy selling this "shell" is a hot rodder??

Not to start anything, but where does it say the guy selling this "shell" is a hot rodder??

I didn't get that impression either. Sounded from the description that this is a "failed restoration of a '26 Dodge". It is better that this car move on than sit there and rust anymore. (Check out the hole through the frame!) It COULD be sold to an aggressive restorer with deep pockets (unlikely - too common of a car), or a rodder who would make it "live" again in some fashion. I would rather have a rodder hit this "failed restoration" than a full off nice full original barn find that was parked in 1940 with 11,000 miles on it and never seen the light of day since! That type of thing is what I complain about.

If rodders must play, then the eBay car (270966485891) is the one for them!

post-67404-143138946852_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

If by starting this thread it means we are at least discussing the subject then perhaps my efforts to highlight the plight of these increasingly rare early cars will not have been wasted.

In England, the main problem is not with 'rodders' but more with 'romantics'. We have all seen this: someone gets hold of a vintage car with the best intentions of restoring it, then strips it down but realises too late that they do not posess the requisite skills or finances to achieve anything worthwhile and the dismantled remains are taken away by the scrap merchant.

Little by little in a drip drip drip way, the message may get through. Interestingly, there seems to be more media interest these days in American restoration programmes - or is that just a sop to the British entertainment market ?

Ray

Guest 1930
I didn't get that impression either. Sounded from the description that this is a "failed restoration of a '26 Dodge". It is better that this car move on than sit there and rust anymore. (Check out the hole through the frame!) It COULD be sold to an aggressive restorer with deep pockets (unlikely - too common of a car), or a rodder who would make it "live" again in some fashion. I would rather have a rodder hit this "failed restoration" than a full off nice full original barn find that was parked in 1940 with 11,000 miles on it and never seen the light of day since! That type of thing is what I complain about.

If rodders must play, then the eBay car (270966485891) is the one for them!

Failed restoration of a 26 Dodge? its a 29

Quote......It is better that this car move on than sit there and rust anymore.

I say its better that this car be put to rest once and for all if someone dosent want to step up to the plate and restore it back to its original glory

Hot Rodder, Romantic call him what you like, not the point, point was another car taken apart, no engine or trans, no interior, little sheetmetal and the owner didnt even bother to get to know the car well enough to figure out what he was destroying before he destroyed it.

Its not a failed restoration, if the intention ever was to restore than the owner would first find out what he had.

Not just a mess-up in the title of the E-bay add, he lists the year of the vehicle in the desc. as well.

This was at one point a ...... full off nice full original barn find.........than someone got ahold of it that had no buisness with it and here we are, a car that is worth less than the radiator shroud sitting inside of it.

This guy had no intention of ever restoring it. This guys a rodder

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason, I now realise you are saying that this is a FAILED hot rod project? That would account for the absence of engine, trim, etc. You are more familiar with the 'trail of destruction' than I am.

There must be some pretty incompetent and foolish people out there who couldn't build a soap box, let alone ANY sort of car. Someone who just didn't care or give a xxxx.

Ray.

Guest 1930

Yes, that is what I was at first implying but who really knows and at this point I guess it dosent matter, damage is done

Guest 1930
Jason, I now realise you are saying that this is a FAILED hot rod project? That would account for the absence of engine, trim, etc. You are more familiar with the 'trail of destruction' than I am.

There must be some pretty incompetent and foolish people out there who couldn't build a soap box, let alone ANY sort of car. Someone who just didn't care or give a xxxx.

Ray.

Alot of people start out with maybe the best on intentions ( clearly not this guy though ) and then when its all apart they realize that its bigger than they can handle. I have been there myself I guess as a tennager

I find that one of the problems with taking on an unfinished restoration where everything is stripped, is that (even though the car may be sold as complete) the poor marking and absence of any records means that some vital parts may be missing and may take ages to find. What might seem like a bargain can turn into a right headache so I avoid basket cases like the plague. Give me a nice original anytime! I was lucky with my Dodge; it was just a non runner with various mechanical and electrical problems which I have fixed. How is your Victoria restoration going?

Ray.

Guest 1930

My car just sits cozy in my garage, I am in no rush for anything and I am just pleased to look after it.

This e-bay car is a parts car now at best, chances are no-one is going to take on this big of a job. Take years to put this thing back together and then some.

This e-bay car is a parts car now at best, chances are no-one is going to take on this big of a job. Take years to put this thing back together and then some.

I don't want a parts car because a parts car would be better than my car. It would get very confusing as to which one to restore....:confused:

But yes, the seller of this car is clearly missing a chromisome....:mad:

Guest 1930

But yes, the seller of this car is clearly missing a chromisome....:mad:

Yah think!

You have a fun vehicle to work with, very little rules to follow since the rules were already broken long ago and to change that now would be just as bad as rodding it in my opinion

I know this post mortem is just about done, but there is just one thing that keeps bugging me for some reason. That shell looks like it has been stripped down to bare metal and primered. Being porus, the rust has just come straight through - inside and out including the chassis. I am trying to imagine why a rodder would do this before chopping it (sorry Jason). Who knows?

Guest 1930

Prob. laquer primer.

Once its blasted one would have to get something on it right away or whats the point of blasting it.

This guy just used the wrong materials for the job

[quote name=

You have a fun vehicle to work with, very little rules to follow since the rules were already broken long ago and to change that now would be just as bad as rodding it in my opinion

Yes exactly. The real "value" in my vehicle lies in the story it tells. Not how it rolled out of the factory as a tourer, but how it spent most of its life as a working vehicle.