1939 120 available with sidemounts?

Matt Harwood

Hey guys, I've done some searching around, but I can't find the answer. Were the 1939 120s available with dual sidemounts, particularly the 2-door models? I'm looking at one now and they look odd on the car. If they were not factory, someone did an outstanding job, but the proportions just seem wrong and I don't much like how it looks with the short fenders. But if it's factory, well, I guess that's how it's supposed to look.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Guest bkazmer

I believe they are factory option but the trailing edge of the 38 -39 fender well has always looked a bit odd to me also.

Yes. All the eight-cylinder Packards had the option of sidemounts. They were not an option on the Six (or 110). And I am in full agreement with you, the proportions are really weird looking with sidemounts, just like when you throw them on a Buick Special of the same vintage.

Is it a coupe with opera seats?

Does it have the commercial sidemount cover? Look for hinge and latch.

If so, do the doors interfere with the sidemounts?

Verify that the running boards are consistent with a 120 or are they reproduction running boards.

Vintageride

Guest 36V12

Yes they were available for the 8 cylinder Jr series... if you have a six cylinder then they were put on (not factory).

Thanks everyone. It's a 120 convertible coupe and the sidemounts definitely look factory-installed. I just don't like the proportions on the short 120 front fenders, but it's probably an unusual option. The car is coming up at an auction and I was considering acquiring it, but I don't know if the sidemounts help or hurt value.

TS12_r009_01.jpg

Guest bkazmer

whether they improve or detract from the looks is a personal thing, and many of us find the fitment a bit awkward. I vote the 39 Buick as even more so. But I think they add value (a financial, not aesthetic, question) for this reason: If you have one set of fenders and wanted to swap for the other set up, who has to add cash to the deal?

to be persnickity, it's an Eight, not a 120, in Packard's nomenclature for 39

Guest bkazmer

You could well be right - I'm going on memory not a reference check (lazy). By any name a handsome car!

I did see a 6 cyl once with (obviously non-factory) sidemounts - they were mounted so high they had to compromise vision to the left.

But I think they add value (a financial, not aesthetic, question) for this reason: If you have one set of fenders and wanted to swap for the other set up, who has to add cash to the deal?

Since they detract so much from the looks of the car, I'd bet, at best, it would be an even trade. We traded sidemounted fenders even-up for a set without, and that was on a Senior car where the sidemounts don't detract so much from the looks.

Agreed, for what it's worth Matt. Pretty car would be prettier without the DSM and lights. In that color I would keep the WWW but I know that is also subjective. Realistically though, I would not pay a premium for that but you should be able to sell, I think the market is still 50/50 clean lines vs. whatever options or accesories you can find for it...

I saw a friend's unrestored 120 sedan "in the back of a barn" this past summer - DSM and an unusual, but totally original, I am told two-tone paint job more typical of 40s cars. Those tire covers do sit up there...

That said, Matt, if you end up with it and want an original owner's manual and prestige brochure to go with it let me know, I have both in mint shape. I will now part with... :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Well, I didn't win the '39 at the auction this weekend. It was one of two Packards that I was interested in (the other was a '34 four-door Standard Eight in AWFUL two tone light blue and electric blue). Ultimately, the Eight convertible with sidemounts sold for $62,000, plus 10% buyer and 10% seller commission, so a final tally around $75,000 once it was all said and done. That's A LOT of money, but probably not far off market price. The car was quite nice, although the engine bay was dirty, as if it has been sitting for a long time and nobody bothered to wipe it down.

The '34 is still available with an asking price of $35,000, which is probably a good price for someone who wants to drive and enjoy it. $10,000 worth of paint will probably add $10,000 worth of value as long as you use a period-appropriate color, and otherwise it was quite nice with a fresh engine and excellent interior that appeared correct. Look up Collector Car Productions if you're interested in buying it (I have no connection here, but hopefully someone will enjoy the car--if you're interested, contact me and I'll give you my opinion since I went over the car quite carefully).

TS12_r075_01.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Matt, that '34 seems like a really good buy overall, and I would love a '34 but this scene keeps playing out over and over as I look at this car, and imagine myself driving it to my first CCCA meet: "We are ever so sorry, Steve, but there seems to be no more space on the field, so could you kindly park your ahhhh, your vehicle behind the bilding over there?" :D

Yes, paint would be in order....

I dunno West, I had a Camaro in that same blue which looked great on that car, but not so much on this one...

Still nice of Matt to share as paint aside, seems like a fair enough deal. This is a Standard 8, I believe? Imagine that same car in the blue of the 120 convertible - Now you are talking...