1930 Chevrolet top

Guest Fairlaneman66

Guest Fairlaneman66

Who can tell me about "redoing" the top of a 2 door sedan. Mine looks like

some one put roofing mastic over the material. It seems there is a "framework"

of wood and "something over it.

Thanks for helping.

(If you recognize me from previous post, no, its' not running yet.

And the starter was shown to be bad)

I agree with poci1957, try Hampton Coach.

I got my 1933 Chevrolet top insert material from LeBarron Bonney, the parent company of Hampton Coach, back in 1976. As I recall that was before Hampton Coach even existed for us GM car owners. Lebarron Bonney is basically the FORD branch of the company while Hampton Coach the GM side.

1976, darn I am getting old.

As I recall my original top insert looked like it had 5 coats of black metal house roof paint on it when I took it off.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest Fairlaneman66

HEY, THANKS. You're just the person I wanted to talk to. This car was stored in a barn for 30 years. Not yet running, altho i was told it was driven in and put away. i finally determined that the starter was bad. Hey, you should haqve seen the material in the gas tank.

YOU SEE, I don't undrstand the construction of these. Is there a wood fram of some type undr the black tar I see?

Is the "fabric" like vinyl or something? Is there a hold down "something" aound the perimeter?

Last question, today. Was the replacement process difficult? It seems like it would be hard to get a weather proof seal.

Thanks. Reed

You may want to get on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America (VCCA) website and ask a 1930 Chevrolet expert the specifics on your year car.

For my 1933 Chevrolet there is an aluminum trim piece with built-in nails around the edge that was covered with the years of goop that had been painted on the top that I cleaned up and then repainted the trim before reinstalling the top.

After gently removing the trim it exposed nails that held the material down.

For 1933 the material was Vinyl-ish covered material with a long grain pattern unique to vintage tops.

After removing the nails around the perimeter, take off the material to expose a pad that was over wood slats. The slats are approximately 1 1/4 inches wide and 1/4 - 5/16 thick.

Interestingly, I found my car had a radio antenna between the wood slats and pad. At least I think it is an antenna as the car originally had a generator model used with cars that had radios. Looks like a metal screen door screen with a cloth covered wire attached to the left front corner that leads down the left front roof pillar to under the dash.

Follow the opposite process to reinstall. Just don't use any of the trim holes for nailing the material or you will have a problem installing the trim piece. Hampton Coach should have the glue / sealant for around the edge before installing the trim.

When I installed the vinyl, I left extra around the edge to stretch it tight then trimmed the edge after nailing.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Guest Fairlaneman66

Question: YOU SO MUCH. I really appreciate the time u took to write all this down.

IT REALLY HELPED. I just went over and took another look at the car. Question: did u paint

first or do the top. I am sure u know the drawbacks either way. I think I am inclined to do the top first-when I get that far.

Thanks again.

reed

Paint first. That's the way the factory did it. Then there will be no masked edges to show or chip and the gloss will be easier to keep even right up to the insert. Chevs had a tremendous amount of structural wood in their bodies until the mid 30s, so be sure yours is good and sound, otherwise you'll have nothing but problems later on.

The holes on the edge of the insert, in the metal, should be oval shaped. The tack to hold the top material goes in one side of the oval slot, the trim piece nail goes on the other side of the slot.

There's a wooden framework for the top, as mentioned. Then, a piece of chicken wire goes over the wood, burlap or fabric over the wire, then cotton batting over the fabric. It is just padded enough to give a smooth top, it's not a "bump" on the top. I'd advise against using foam, the top material will get warm in the sun and degrade the foam. Warm in the sun is also when the top material should be installed, so that it stretches tight and doesn't flap in the wind.

Often, the chicken wire was used as a radio antenna. For this to work, the chicken wire CANNOT touch the body metal at all, it has to be fastened to the wooden framework only. If it touches the body metal, it basically shorts out the function of being an antenna.

Guest Fairlaneman66

TAHNKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP. I have a lot to sort out.

Do they make a replacement part for the metal trim piece so I don't have to worry about saving it?

Guest Fairlaneman66

OK, AGAIN, I have a lot to thik about. BUT NOW I'm worried about the wood. WHER should I look for problems. Of course I am aware of the wood in the floor.

Again, thanks so much for all the effort in your reeplies. This car has been on blocks for abouyt 30 years.

The radio antenna was a separate insulated wire in the roof and not connected to the chicken wire.Now for the roof install follow the instructions others have suggested for removal. Hampton coach , bill herch filling station and others have top material.

Once the old material is removed check the wood under neath for cracks and rot if found they can be repaired using quick Polly which is advertised in the aaca mag and others it also will tighten loose joints and fill nail holes, after painting the top use black RTV around the edge by the metal and wood to seal gaps then stretch the top material over the top and nail it down in 6to8 inch spacing then put on metal hold down.

If hold down metal is of the type where there is a folded over section which you already know about from the removal process this type of strip can only be nailed if it does not have fold over section it can be screwed down with taper head screws which can be counter sunk and filled then painted.

Al

Edited by Alfre
left out that I have done several tops and no leaks (see edit history)

There were some cars that used the chicken wire as an antenna, others may have had a separate piece, but it was done.....that's why I qualified my statement by saying "often", not "always"! Early cars are always interesting......

Guest Fairlaneman66

Did you know there is a company that manufactures wood for these cars?

Autowood Restoration.

Question. Does the "trim" piece pry off or unscrew? It is coverd with black stuff so I reall can't see anything.

Clean of a 2 foot section of the hold down strip if there are screws they will be visible if not there is a fold over section covering nails this can be opened from the inside edge with a sharp tool and then it can be pried up, try not to stretch the hold down it is a soft material

Al