1934 Dodge DR Model 4-door

Guest cadaber

Guest cadaber

Anyone out there have any advice on taking the sleeves/wraps that go around the leaf springs? I don't want to bend them or damage them in any way while trying to take them off. It appears that the edges are crimped, but I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey cadaber, I'm sorry I'm not a big help here, but I do remember many years ago, I had the displeasure of taking those metal covers off a '37 Plymouth. It was a frustrating, knuckle-busting job, I heaved them out when I finally got them off in pieces.I felt that they would be unnecessary to go back on, since I was not worried about getting some road dust on the springs in the limited driving I would do. If you feel you need leaf spring covers, maybe the leather ones they sell these days, if you can't save your old ones. ---Pete.

Guest cadaber

Thanks for the advice Pete! I agree, it looks like a hell of a knuckle buster project indeed. Thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers

I wish Mark would post a picture of these things, I have seen the leather or cloth versions but dont remember seeing steel.

You might also consider large heatshrink wrap which works for some but grease and Denso tape would be my choice because it lasts for years and can be applied easily without having to unbolt the spring. Posh people don't HAVE to use leather gaiters, as Denso tape can be seen on many vintage Rolls Royces - even in class ridden Britain!

Guest cadaber

Hey 1930...just read your message about a pic. Here is what they look like off of the springs. As a side note, they were wrapped with some type of material inside and a lot of grease. Interestingly enough...the portion of the springs that were inside these covers look brand new.

post-80018-143138920015_thumb.jpg

post-80018-143138920022_thumb.jpg

Done in pieces than, that answers the question about flexability. Check out the video posted above by D-2. Very interesting but again they showed a metal cover and it was all one piece and I wondered to myself how the heck that would work.

I am also surprised to hear........the portion of the springs that were inside these covers look brand new..........I thought to myself after seeing Leno's video that it looked to me as if these covers would tear up the springs because water would collect into the ends and just sit inside of there and eventually either no casing or no spring, I wonder how they were sealed at the end, cant inagine that these covers would be so tight against the spring as to make it water tight.

I have some very interesting info to post here related to your springs, might be old news to you but was new news to me, will try and post something tonight.

...I am also surprised to hear........the portion of the springs that were inside these covers look brand new..........I thought to myself after seeing Leno's video that it looked to me as if these covers would tear up the springs because water would collect into the ends and just sit inside of there and eventually either no casing or no spring, I wonder how they were sealed at the end, cant inagine that these covers would be so tight against the spring as to make it water tight....

Doesn't surprise me: The gaiters aren't to hold water out, they are to hold grease in. And if they are properly filled with grease then wear and rust shouldn't be a problem.

Doesn't surprise me: The gaiters aren't to hold water out, they are to hold grease in. And if they are properly filled with grease then wear and rust shouldn't be a problem.

Sure I would agree that if they were properly maintained than like anything else it would maybe last almost indefinitely but not so common of an occurrence in my experience and so that is why I am shocked to hear of Cadabers good fortune

I would like to comment and add further to the rear springs discussion concerning the oil-lite disks found ( for the first time on Dodge vehicles in 34 ) on the rear springs but maybe its old news for you 34 owners?

I would like to comment and add further to the rear springs discussion concerning the oil-lite disks found ( for the first time on Dodge vehicles in 34 ) on the rear springs but maybe its old news for you 34 owners?

They were using oil-lite disks on '33 Plymouth springs and given the similarity of the drive train and chassis I am a bit surprised that '34 would be the first use on Dodge. I would have guessed '33 for Dodge too.

They were using oil-lite disks on '33 Plymouth springs and given the similarity of the drive train and chassis I am a bit surprised that '34 would be the first use on Dodge. I would have guessed '33 for Dodge too.

Salesmans data book for 1934 lists them as an exclusive advantage of the new 1934 Dodge. I guess it sounds though not so exclusive.

Isnt that something, it also lists the metal covers as if they were standard, I guess I have never really paid as much attention to this old book as I should have.

Scan below shows the gaiters as mounted on 34 Dodge springs

post-48869-143138921297_thumb.jpg

Guest cadaber

That's pretty interesting. I'm new to this car since late last year and never had an interest in Dodge until I picked this car up. I'm loving the fact that I'm able to learn so much from everyone in the forum.

I actually felt bad pulling those brackets off, I didn't want to damage them, instead I would like to put them back the way I found them. Unfortunately, one side has a broken spring I need to find and replace. The car had a bit of a lean and I thought the frame might have been damaged, however, after inspecting it, seems to be just fine. I've been really lucky thus far.

Guest cadaber

I see...that makes sense. Second question, anyone know a company that make a set just like the originals? I want to make sure it looks completely original and not like a pick-a-part vehicle.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem here in the U.K. but as I have found to my cost, shipping, taxes etc. really add to the cost. If you have difficulty in finding proprietary replacements have you thought about your local blacksmiths forge? Our village has an old guy who can do absolutely anything with metal and I have learned so much from him that will get lost if he closes down.

Ray.

Eaton Spring in Detroit have the original blue-prints for many of our old D.B cars, I would suggest though going to your local spring shop and having them make one, especially if you plan on only replacing the one broken spring, not rocket science and the only thing I would be concerned with and would make clear to them is that you want the car to sit level and if they cant do that than you would rather take your buisness elsewhere.