Garford Trucks

Guest Xprefix28truck

Guest Xprefix28truck

Anyone have any info or pictures of these? Powered by Wisconsin. War era. Looking for engine pictures mainly. But would like to see any info available. Thanks....

Which Wisconsin, the "Y" or the "Z"?? (Only checked a couple catalogs, they may've used more).

There's a nicely illus "Wisc T-Head Restoration" thread on smokstak, but didn't check to see which Wisc...believe that party has the only Wisc water-cooled manual?? I've seen on EBay...

If the "Z", check Cletrac.org; one of the early Cletracs used the Z and the ZT.

If the "Y", they were in DuPont and McFarlan cars, both prestigious enough to have clubs...one catalog lists Brockway (believe there's a club) Indiana, Maccar, Oshkosh (not sure about clubs) and a few orphans...

You might also try SuperJeff (Jeff L, who runs the "What Am I??" forum on aths---Guess what year/model truck in pic)--he has a monumental collection of truck pix, might also have engine pix...Good luck.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I found documents that state that Teetor Hartley was sub contracted by Wisconsin to build engines for Garford. Garford was contracted to build military trucks for the government. Wisconsin was to supply the engines. Wisconsin got in over their heads and therefore sub contracted the engines to Teetor Hartley. It appears to be the "UU" model engine. It aslo appears that up to 1200 of these were built, but no exact number was supplied. The government ordered an additional 2000 units, but within 2 months the total contract was cancelled. Teetor Hartley sued the government for $230,000 (the cost of tooling and supplies left unused), but lost since Wisconsin was the one that actually contracted the work.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Just a little bit more info on these trucks. The contracts were given in May 1919. First order was for 500 units, then an additional 700 units. So less than 1200 were probably produced. This seems to be another instance where proof has shown up that TH still produced engines even after the sale to Ansted in late 1918.

Anyone have any info or pictures of these? Powered by Wisconsin. War era. Looking for engine pictures mainly. But would like to see any info available. Thanks....

Kent,

Why not contact the AACA Library & Research Center. It is well noted on the home page and they retain a huge amount of reference material. It always amazes me how everyone goes to the General Forum and even veteran participants never scroll around the whole of this AACA Web Site to see what we offer.

On the Home Page, on the right you will see "LIBRARY". When open you will see "Online Catalog" at the top. Click on "Research Request", type in "Garford Trucks" and wella...there appears about 18 reference books, material, etc., on the 1st page alone.

Not knowing if you are an AACA Member I venture to add a member receives 1 1/2 hours of "free" research time every year. Copies of whatever you are interested in receiving will be mailed for a nominal fee. Check it out.

Looks like there was a "line" of "U" engines: U, UA, UAU, UU and UUB are on my list, apparently all 41/4 bore, but I have no stroke length.

The U and UU show in a 1917 ring catalog with a 1915 date, using a ring size and number also used by several Garford trucks; d'you have a Garford model # for the military truck or whatever was supposed to use the UU??

My catalogs are poor before 1920; eyeballing some likely ones finds no UU listing, but it's possible they didn't list military stuff, and if the UU was the military version may've not carried parts for it.

The UUB does show in a couple trucks 1917-21, so it's possible the UUB was a civilian version of the UU??

Oddly, a 36 catalog lists the UU in the Wisc engine section altho I find no UU listings in the makes sections; it had no UUB listing in makes or under Wisc engine. Under piston ass'bly it showed unique pistons for the UU, altho it shared valves with several other Wisc's and it shared rod bearings with the Wisc "B" (no mains listed)

You might also try the WW1 vehicle collectors forums. Good luck.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Thanks Larry,

I did the Google search first, before posting here. Trying different things to find out more.