convertible owners look at this part

Barney Eaton

The part shown is from a 1990 convertible and is used to hold the boot open when raising and lowering the top. It is completely hidden so you would need to make an effort to find it.

My question to those that know where there's is and have looked at it........ is yours black or white?

I would almost swear that the one on my 1991 convertible is black and not as robust as this part, I am suspecious that some machinest has made this part..... it has tool marks and I would guess nylon.

post-30596-143138899445_thumb.jpg

Guest tempest6cyl

The first concept parts were machined from white nylon. They were white just because that is what was typically stocked. No doubt a capable machinist could reverse engineer a broken one to fix a car.

After a little research, this is a pretty early convertible (903298). Discounting the 10 or so they made very early, the next batch was 9 (9001279-901287) then 5 (902641-902646) then 9 (2840-902848) then a few singles, this car is 903298

Seriour convertible build did not start until around 903970.... they would build one convertible and then 5-7 coupes then another convertible.

• 4 weeks later...

Odd that this thread came up again and actually I forgot it was here.

Just last weekend my son and I were discussing these clips as he can make them for me.

I know they do break and there is a little demand for them.

I would be interested in knowing if there is any interest in reproducing them and how much would be a fair price to charge for one.

Like Kinglsey with his parts, I am not in it for the money, but would like to help with a hard to find part.

Guest William Vernon

Depend's on the price, Jim. It's got a lot of shape to it so I would think it would take some time (cost) to mill. Wish I had Jay Leno's tool box.

No thanks, my tag/insurance bill is high enough now. Besides I have a car for every need & no desire for more. Of course if a nice HK-500 with a/c & Pont-a-Mousson were to come along cheap...

For a price, I am thinking in the $ 25 to $ 50 range.

Jim

Depend's on the price, Jim. It's got a lot of shape to it so I would think it would take some time (cost) to mill. Wish I had Jay Leno's tool box.

It is actually my son who can make them for me and that is why I can be pretty flexible on the price. I just won't pay him much. :)

He tells me he has two types of plastic that would work and one of them he felt would be plenty strong enough to hold the cover up.

Have you selected a material, Jim? I think the base should be made thicker so it doesn't break in half like mine did.
Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Guest William Vernon

The material used on the production part seems like some sort of nylon compound. I think there are provisions in the body to mount one on each side so if the material is a little softer, you could use two. I would pay $25 each (shipped) and buy two to try this.

Guest William Vernon

You would have to fight the strut to slam it shut. Did the prototype have an electric pull down where you could casually close the tonneau and it would do the rest?

Guest steveskyhawk

Wouldn't it be trick to re-engineer the top mechanism completely to go up and down hands free (electro-hydraulically) as I'm sure it was intended to be? So much for the 400 point ruse

Guest William Vernon

I used to own a 3000GT VR4 Spyder that had an ASC automatic hardtop. Between the hydraulic issues, the constant limiter switch adjustments, and the computer that runs it all, I much prefer doing the work myself :)

Guest RickinFL

I just registered so I am a little late to the party. I have a problem with the tonneau staying upright, so maybe this part is my problem. How do I find it?

Guest William Vernon

Open the tonneau and follow the bar on the drivers side down and toward the trunk and you'll find it. Has to be removed working from the trunk opening.

If anyone wants to try making one or more, I have the measurements from the white-cream colored part that I first posted.

If I get a chance, I will clean up my sketch and post the sketch.