65 Riviera rear window blower/defroster

Desmc14

Yes it is an option and a nice one to have, very usefull and works good. The shop manual shows the install, with wire routing and switch location. I think the hardest part to find is the resistor as it is in the dash and gets left behind. If you found a complete set/kit go for it. the install is not hard.

Steve

Guest pgadler
Was this an option in 1965? I came across one and it looks NOS. If anyone has one installed, where was the switch located?

Thanks!

I have a 65 with this option. The switch is located just next to the antenna switch and interior lights, completing a set of three switches.

Unfortunatly the assembly with blower etc under the rear window is missing. Probably removed when an earlier owner put in rear speakers... :(

Guest rsmalling

Mine was missing too, I have the switch on the dash, but someone ditched the unit for rear speakers. Would be cool to find a good one to put back in.

I added this option to my 65 Riv with the switch, resistor, and blower housing being donated from a parts car that I had. All of the wiring was already in the car including the wire that ran to the rear package tray. The resistor attached to one of the dash supports to the left of the glove box. My biggest problem was the blower motor from the donor car was a solid hunk of rust. I found a NOS motor on evil Bay and before I installed it I took it apart and lubricated it. The whole setup was basically a plug and play and works like a champ.

I'm getting ready to add the rear defroster to my '65. I need to cut the rear package tray for the opening. Does anyone have a template or are in a position to creat one? The metal under my package tray was cut up from a previous owners speaker install so any clues from the bottom side are missing. I will need to put a new piece of metal in to support the motor. I appreciate the assistance!

Is the resister absolutely necessary. Could a fuse in the line do a similar job? This blower looks brand new!

Thanks everyone!

PS - The Riv is in getting a fresh coat of paint and the bumpers re-chromed....the guy said it is one of the most solid old cars he's ever seen. i cannot wait to get it back... 60 degrees and sunny today here.. unusual for Canada in March!

The motor was used for a number of years by GM on everything or so it seems. Go to eBay and search on GM rear defroster and it will come up with a number of items including one that is listed as GM PONTIAC CHEVROLET GTO FORD DODGE FRONT REAR DEFROSTER BLOWER W/CAGE that should work. Seller claims it works and the price is right.

Good Luck,

Ron, sorry that I did not answer this on my previous post. I did not have a template when I added the rear defroster to my Riv, so I punched out the holes and mounted the upper grille. I carefully cut out the package tray and had to enlarge it a couple of times. You could make a paper template of the mounting studs and then cut accordingly. If someone cut out that area to install speakers you might have to make a sheet metal plate to mount everything to. I believe that some vendors are offering new package trays with the rear defroster cutout already there.

Good Luck,

I found a switch and an accessory name plate.. in a box of parts that I have...middle position off - push on - pull on... will this work properly with the 2 speed blower if I can source a resistor? (also - I think I have sourced a resistor)

Thanks,

Bob,

I believe the switch should be off in it's forward position. First click back is on at slow speed, second click is high speed. The power antenna switch is off in the middle. You have to push and or pull and hold it to operate the antenna up and down. My trim plate is out of the car and I can see if there are numbers on the switches tomorrow when I am back out in the garage.

Thanks,

Ron

• 6 months later...

TTT

Old thread but still good information. Did anyone come up with a template for positioning the blower in the rear deck? Does anyone have a resistor that they'd sell - I need one.

Back to post #14. This sounds like a description of an antenna switch. Off in the middle, pull it forward to raise the antenna, push it back to lower the antenna.

Let me know if anyone has a resistor to sell or finds a link to one.

Thanks,

Ed

I could trace one off of mine located by the studs that hold the grill down to the shelf. Should be able to punch the holes for the studs in the tray using the holes on the underside of the deck stamping as a guide. Mine has never worked due to the siezed motor though all the pieces are still in place.