63 Light Switch Removal

Guest 63 rivenge

Guest 63 rivenge

I took the center consul out of my 63 Riv to paint it and replace the vinyl on the consul.............question..........how does the Light switch ( Nob) come off the consul ...the wiper nob I see an allen screw, but the light nob needs help.

Thanks in advance

Guest 63 rivenge

Thanks Jim for your help.........that little button on the switch worked just as you said, you saved the weekend, and a costly repair

Regards

Bob

• 5 months later...
Guest 1963 Riviera
OMG, no!

Reach behind on to the body of the light switch and feel for a button to press in. As you hold it in, pull the headlight knob and shaft out of the light switch body.

That's it.

As I am in the exact same predicament, I removed my console by disconnecting the wires ( too hard ) obviously I cannot use my lights or wipers....

How much force should I be using to extract the knob and shaft . Does not seem to want to give and I don't want to break something

Nick (awaiting my ROA#.... HOORAY!)

You have to pull the switch all the way out (as if the headlights are on) then depress the button and the shaft will slide out with no effort. The button is on the opposite side as the wiring. It's small like the head of a rivet. There's a tiny spring between the button head and the body of the swtich.

Ed

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest 1963 Riviera

PLEASE HELP....

MT TRIMMER GUY REASSEMBLED THE CONSOLE ......the light switch now requires effort to turn on and especially off ...I tried removed the shaft as I had done EFFORTLESSLY before on Ed and Tom's advice to see what was causing the friction...now the shaft will not release when I depress the button WHAT DO I DO ?

PLEASE HELP

NICK

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, PullmeoverRED said:

I was able to remove the shaft but how do i remove the switch from the console?

The following is from a previous post and you have already done some of it. The escutcheon is on the interior side of the console around the shaft of the light switch. It turns off just like a nut. As stated you need a screwdriver or putty knife to put in one of the grooves and lightly tap to turn it if you don't have an escutcheon tool. Once loosened it will turn by hand. 

Open the ashtray/lighter door in the console.There are 3 screws holding the assembly in, remove the screws. That whole assembly will remove and the headlight switch is right there. There is a pushpin on the switch. Push in on that and you can pull the shaft out. You then remove the switch escutcheon. I did not have the switch tool so I used a putty knife to turn it. Once the switch is released from the escutcheon the switch drops down for easy access through the opening left by the ashtray assembly. I hope this helps.

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2012 at 3:16 AM, Jim Cannon said:

As you hold it in, pull the headlight knob and shaft out of the light switch body.

That's it.

Jim, been studying on how to remove that light switch because I wanted to know how. Well now I know. 
thank you

Bob Burnopp aka Turbinator