Wanted - 1925 Buick radiator hose support for bottom hose

Buick Downunder

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this thread. I have a support if you want some measurements to fabricate one. I've got an complete spare 25 motor with the bracket but I'm trying to keep it complete! ( don't know why!) I think I might have an extra poorly repaired bracket if you want one as a pattern. Let me know.

This is an interesting subject for those with the 'orphan' 25 Std's. I have a 'matching numbers' 2525 McLaughlin touring. The id plate matches the engine number. There is no sign of the mounting bolts or boss on the crankcase for the lower rad hose support.

The 1925 McLaughlin Special ( as they called the Std ) parts book has the part number listed and a lovely photo of same.

I purchased a 2521 McLaughlin basket case to have enough parts to put together the 2525 basket case. It too was a matching numbers car. It has the lower rad hose support and the mounting bolts on the crankcase.

Since all of the engines were made at the same factory in the US, I'm guessing it was a running change. I'm hoping it was a later deletion because if it was needed I'm going to have a hard time adding it to the 2525!

Brad

Thanks Brad. Sounds like you have a great collection.

I believe I can source one here in Oz. for a pattern, but appreciate your offer. I hoped that I would find an original and will continue this plight. I will also contact the previous owner of our Buick, just in case it is in a box somewhere also. He had owened it for 50+ years, so there is a chance it might still exist!?

Best wishes

Ben

Ben :

Good to hear from you downunder! Also to hear from Brad in BC. I have repeatedly tried to contact other 1925-25 Standard owners in the USA to start a dialog about our cars but most are not interested. These little differences are what make our cars a bit more interesting. About the hose support part #186584. Looking at my poorly reproduced parts book I can make out one of the studs for the mount in Photo Plate #1. If I could get a good photo description and accurate dimensions, I would like to develop some CAD drawings for possible fabrication. I know there is not a good market for limited run items. But I have been making up some drawings to keep on file of some of the unique parts of our car. Also last tuesday a local collector who has

2 1927 Model 54 Buick Roadsters and 1920s parts cars and a collection of Buick parts. He has been a good reference for me. He did sell me a good 25 standard radiator with a poor shell. So I do have a spare if needed. I did try the CLR mix to clean up the lime deposits. Hopefully this will keep my radiator flowing this summer.

Larry

Larry

I usually lurk on the 27 Buicks Yahoo site.It's mostly 26-27 but they don't seem to mind me piping up every once in awhile. Pretty friendly bunch, covering 23-28.

1927buicks : 1927 buicks

THe little differences in the 25 are magnified by the McLaughlin. I bought a pile of parts in a garage that was purported to be a car. It was more like parts from 5 cars ranging from 24 to 28. thank goodness for the Master parts manual or I never would have sorted it out . Then I got really lucky and found someone who would copy the McLaughlin Parts manual for me. McLaughlin's had bumpers, some extra nickel plated bits and an honest to God brake light; the lense for which is the holy grail.

Interestingly, my plate 1 in the parts manual shows nothing where the studs and mounting boss should be although part number 186564 water pump hose support is listed and they even have a lovely drawing of it on plate 6

Ben

I have a great collection of parts!

One day, I hope to have n actual car out of them. It's only been 8 years, lots of time ,,,right?

Herb

CLR is brand name product for removing calcium lime and rust. Can't speak of its effectiveness but the commercials are painfully hokey.

Brad

Good stuff Larry and Brad. There are a few owners in Oz. with 25's - but certainly not anyone close by to my area. Always feel free to PM me if you have any queries and I will help where I can. Work sometimes keeps me away for a week or two at times.

Brad - 8 years is only a blink :D

Regards

Ben

Herb:

The CLR mix fix was on this site a while back. I believe 1/2 pint to the system volume of water. The person said they drove the car 200 miles and then flushed out.(So far I haven't been able to drive more than 5 miles). Thats what I am going to do tonight. Interesting that when I first put it in and drove several miles the pump churned the mix to a white foam. Leaving a foaming trail out the overflow, "Mad car disease". But still am having frustrating issues. I drove the 25-25 1 1/2 miles to a meeting to warm it up before the back flush. I had to wait for 3 red light changes to cross route 30 here during "Rush Hour"? The motometer was just about topped out. Total driving time about 15 min. When parked for my meeting it is still pushing out the overflow. Only 10 min at the meeting I refilled the radiator 1/2 gallon.

The clutch issue is also frustrating. Usually after I start up in neutral I warm up the engine. Shut off.. Then restart in gear. Starts much faster than if the starter is trying to drive the car and start a cold engine. Easier on the starter too! Then the clutch breaks loose and I can shift from neutral. Today I had to shut off the engine twice to get back into gear once out to the meeting and once back. Then for about 3/4 of a mile all worked and shifted well (no clashing). When I parked in the garage all the water I had put in had been pushing out.

The underside was wet. Also I can't tell wether oil is slinging from the front seal. I made new bushings for the fan unit. So I don't believe it is the problem. The fan belt is oil soaked. I made a new leather belt but am reluctant to install it until I get this "oil gusher " under control.

Larry

So it would appear to be a mid term change added the hose support .

My1932 Master parts manual shows one for each of the Master and Standard ( different part number of course!) but my copy doesn't reference engine numbers.

If the problem Buick was trying to fix was a collapsing hose, I think I can easily fix that. If it is a water pump support issue , it may be a bit more difficult for me to fix. Not that it matters as a it is currently a static display!

Brad