Oil leak on 26 Buick

Old26Buick

I have an oil leak on left side of engine. Coming someplace behind exhaust-intake manifold. I used dye in the oil and a black light but can't seem to see where it is coming from. Valve cover isn't leaking. Could the head gasket be leaking oil? I have never heard of it but maybe. Thanks for any help.

I would guess that the head gasket but migrating from a worn valve guide. Any burning of oil or loss of compression in the nearest cylinder? Again just a guess. I wouldnt mind just one spot. My 1925 Standard leaks from every possible joint. Mostly between the cylinder block and the crankcase. Almost like they forgot to put in a gasket!

Best of Luck:

Larry DiBarry

Mine leaks slightly from behind the manifold (I think from between the head and block towards the rear) - but only a minor leak which you can seam streaming down the side of the motor, around the freeze plug - and a small drop on the splash pan. I note that the engine Leif has photographed has a similar 'leaching' of oil there to mine.

I recently removed the head and took pistons out, shaved the head (which looked like someone took a belt sander too previously!), replaced the head gasket etc etc... After some 3000 miles the leak is no worse or no better there and only drops a small amount. I can't recall it leaking there before!!!

Larry, I think you might be right about the leak with yours between the bore and crankcase. Mine does not leak there, so it sounds like yours is either passing compression into the crankcase, or a failed or missing gasket. I would think the latter is more likely.

Best wishes

Ben

I think I found why the headgasket was leaking. I forgot to re torque the head after running it for awhile. All I have found is NOS head gaskets that seemed have dried out. Does anyone make new gaskets?? Thanks

I have an oil leak on left side of engine. Coming someplace behind exhaust-intake manifold. I used dye in the oil and a black light but can't seem to see where it is coming from. Valve cover isn't leaking. Could the head gasket be leaking oil? I have never heard of it but maybe. Thanks for any help.