28-33 Fuel tank sending unit

HBergh

Upon reviewing the Aug/Sep 2009 issue of DB Club News (p13), I found an article about a company called Atwater Kent (AK) that was reproducing antique car electrical parts. Since I couldn't find this company on the Internet from the URL provided, I called them. Apparently, AK has been replaced with a body (human) building company, but the person I chatted with stated that they still have the AK manufacturing rights. I was interested in their fuel tank sending unit shown in the DB article and was wondering if anyone has purchased anything for your DB car from this new company? Thanks, Howard

Up until fairly recently this was the contact information for "them":

Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company

2 Jacques St.

Worcester, MA 01603

Telephone: +1.508.792.9500

atwaterkentmfg.com

I'm pretty sure I'd browsed the web site last fall but it now appears to be invalid.

When I was looking for a sending unit for my '33 Plymouth I purchased one from them. At the time they (actually I think it was a sole proprietorship so I should write "he") had a cheaper one and a "duplicate of original" one. I got the cheaper one and was not satisfied with it: It did not properly indicate the whole range and the float was a shellac covered cork which is not good for use with gasoline with ethanol in it.

The photos of the "duplicate of original" senders that were on the web site don't look like the ones used on '29-'33 Plymouths. So for those early models where the sending unit is visible on the rear of the car you'd probably not be happy. Probably a moot point now if he is out of business.

All that said, he did have a fairly good reputation from those people who were looking for the late '30s through late '40s two wire sending units. And he did have the early key switch/coil combination units for ignition systems.

For myself, I've attempted to modify a modern universal sending unit to read reasonably well in my '33. On my car the sending unit is not visible so my requirement is functionality rather than appearance. Plymouth: First Decade - Early 1930s Fuel Sending Unit

I bid on and won two of the units on E-Bay, about 5 years ago. I paid with a money order and never did get the units. When I called AK, I was told that there had been some mix up's and my two units were being sent out the next day. They never arrived so I called back and found their phone had been disconnected. I was and am, out the cost of both units and the shipping. I learned a lesson about thinking you can trust a seller based on their company name. Don't know if it's the same people, back for another run or if there are new people making these units under the AK name. Good luck to anyone buying, hope it works out better for you than it did me. This is just "my" experience with the name.