Hadn't seen this before

rowan782

Old store where I buy car parts is due to be demolished for new building. I had to get a picture of their freight lift (elevator) as I know it won't be used again. An old electric motor going into an old truck transmission is the backbone of the unit (homemade and handy). See if you can make sense of the pic.

post-61526-143138822003_thumb.jpg

Pretty well-done actually, a gearbox is a gearbox. A big machine shop where I used to work used a similar old transmission to spin the fly cutter on a vertical mill with a 10'x30' table. The operator would climb up on it and shift the trans to change head speeds for different materials. :D

My 1910 South Bend formaly a treaddle lathe had a 1 HP electric motor and 1930s Chevy truck transmission addapted to it. Had 18 forward speeds! Liggett Spring and Axle where I worked in 1973-74, had some early 1890s -1910s line shaft machines converted the same way. Except they mounted the motors on top of the head-stocks with the transmissions as final output. Heated the shift levers and were bent down for operator acces. Were used that way for over 50 years!