Whippet Forums?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Willys

Right here on the AACA Forum General Discussion there is a site devoted to Kaiser etc & Willys. They seem to be mainly 40s & 50s cars but if you don't start your own thread there no one will know about the earlier cars. I have a friend here in Victoria Australia with a 1918 Overland Speedster.

oldcar.

Guest Rob McDonald

WILLY and friends, save me some research, please: I've had it in my head for a long time that Whippets all had sleeve valve engines, like their Willys big brothers. That would have been remarkable for a competitor in the low-price market. Did I dream this up this "fact"?

• 2 weeks later...

Whippet engines indeed were poppett valved. Both the 4 cylinder and the 6's.

In fact, the 4 is the fore runner design of the WW2 Willys Jeep engines. There is even an after market head for that engine that I believe was for increasing the compression.

It is the Willys Knights that have sleeve valve engines.

Guest Commodore

Well, Willys sorta made a sleeve valve engine Whippet. Willys made the Falcon-Knight which was basically a 6 cylinder Whippet with a Knight sleeve valve engine. it was priced between the Whippet and the Willys Knight.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Thanks guys, it took me a while to find my way back to this thread. Maybe it was a Falcon-Knight that I read about at some point, which caused me to jump the track and believe that Whippets were sleeve-valve powered. I'd love to see one of these novel machines some time and to hear it run - or not hear it, because they were all about quiet running.