Harisburg to Richmond in June

Just wondering of anyone is driving from Harrisburg Pa. area to the Richmond show, or has room on a trailer for a car? If not I may be driving the car down, but don't want to be out there alone if a problem arises. <BR> shocked.gif" border="0 Thanks....

Ernie:<P>Ron Flory from Hummelstown and I plan to follow eachother to Richmond. I will be coming from Reading and meeting Ron somewhere in the area. Both of us will be trailering. No room in either trailer, but, you are more than welcome to join the parade.<BR>We won't be setting land speed records so it will be about 4 to 4 1/2 hours roughly.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

thanks, may take you up on that. when are you leaving Harrisburg area? May be meeting up with another party somewhere south of here too. Thanks again.

Ernie: <P>As of now, we'll drive down Friday, June 14th. As the date gets closer, we can determine where/when to meet. I will have room in the truck for your gear to lighten the load on your car. <P>Regards, Peter J.

Ernie,<P>The same offer goes for me. We'll be going down Friday as well However, I'll have a loaded trailer too. I'd be happy to play back up though. Should you lose Ron and Peter in your Corvette, I'll be glad to keep a eye on them for you and make sure they get there. grin.gif" border="0 <P>Rick

sounds better every time. I hopefully will be meeting up w/ a buddy coming in fron NJ area, (from just outside phila area) somewhere south of here too. He has the "sleeping" quarters w/him, I hope.<BR>Rick, we finally meet too! Like we live hundreds of miles apart! I'll get down one of these days. Sounds great, the more the merrier! Glad everyone is leaving Friday.<BR>we'll talk closer to tyhe date, and thanks again. wink.gif" border="0

These are one of the few times I miss living in Baltimore. Wish I could join you guys, 'cause it sounds like a lot of fun.<P>Please try to keep Hoover out of trouble. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Boy, this DF is a tough place to hang out in. shocked.gif" border="0 <P>I'll deal with the boys from Cheyenne when they get in here for the Hershey DF meeting. <P>Meanwhile, as for randjflo. Ron, what was that judging class number you were showing in at Richmond? I just want to be sure I sign up for the correct one. tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

This is important. Whatever you do, do not drive I-95 between Washington DC and Fredericksburg, VA. It is beyond awful at any time other than about 3 AM in the morning. (similar to I-4 thru Orlando, FL but worse).<P>Come down I-83 to the Baltimore Beltway and follow that (south I guess...but toward Glen Burnie MD) to I-97 South. Be very careful when you come to the fork in the road below Glen Burnie and take MD Rt. 3 South toward Crofton and Bowie. At the fork signs point to Richmond by following I-97 further toward Annapolis, but it is out of the way and further, and you run the risk of missing the turn. <P>Further south it becomes Rt. 301. Follow Rt. 301 thru Waldorf and LaPlata, MD and across the Potomac River Bridge ($3 toll) and continue to follow Rt. 301 until you'll see signs to I-95 at Bowling Green, VA. Take those signs and move back to I-95 and follow directions to Richmond.<P>There are a lot of lights on Rt. 3 and 301, but trust me as a native, if you drive south on I-95 you will rue the day, especially in the area of Lorton, VA.<P>Some people from this area go to Carlisle by way of I-81 and Rt 15 to avoid all the Baltimore-Washington traffic but it is considerable further.

Earl, thank you very much for the input.<P>As the time gets closer, I was going to suggest the "301" route just for safety and less tension, especially with a convoy.<P>As you mention, there may be some traffic lights, but, it is more scenic and relaxing.<P>Best regards, Peter J. smile.gif" border="0

Just off the top of my head, take rte 15 south then I believe I270 to 495 somewhere around washington on the beltway? Just food for thought, but I will need to meet up w/ my NJ connection somewhere. Closer to date, we will get our route together for sure. Looking forward to the trip on my new tires! Anyone want to help clean her uop in Richmond??? grin.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Ernie. No problem. We'll all have enough cleaning materials and hands-on-deck to clean up.<P>Again, there will be plenty of room for your gear to lighten your weight load.<P>Just a thought concerning your new tires: Do not use any tire sheen media to make them look pretty. Use just soap and water. I am convinced there is absolutely no tire products that do not create a build up once you start applying them. Over the years, the "red bands" will be less "red" looking and you won't be able to restore the color. Just an opinion from experience.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

That will put you onto one of the worst, if not the worst roads in america, I-95 south of Washington. Unless you're going to travel in the wee hours you will end up hating yourself.<P>Well, you can follow Rt 495 to Rt 5 to Rt. 301 south.<P>If you use Rt. 15 find a way to get over to Rt 17 South to Fredericksburg, VA. I can't quite remember....I think that means getting onto Rt 29 to Warrenton, VA and then picking up Rt. 17

The in-laws travel to Florida years & more down 15 & over somewhere. They know the way, I am just not sure of all the routr numbers. They will be up mid April- early May, so I will double check & Post for comments. Thanks for the info again.<BR> As for tire protectant, I used Endurance in the white letters, seems ok. Never thought about the "red": being a problem. Will have to change my routine now! Thanks... shocked.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

I am meet chairman for Richmond Spring Meet. Richmond members take the following route when returning to richmond from Hershey and Harrisburg. Take I81 to I66 South of Winchester Va to Rt 17 at Warrenton Va.( You can pick up 17 at Winchester, saves few miles but not time and is 2 lane.)Follow 17 to I95 at Fredericksburg and into Richmond.(You can leave I95 just South of Fredericksburg to Rt 1, 4lane, no traffic, to Ashland, turn left on Rt 54 back to I95 and into Richmond. Contact me for any further info on directions or the meet itself.

Hi, Mike. How are you?<P>Normally, I receive the info 4-6 weeks before the meet. At least that has been my experience in our neck of PA.<P>Regards, Peter J. cool.gif" border="0

The directions given by Big D (Dayton) are very good. I live 60 miles east of Richmond (part time) and have traveled all over the area all my life. The people from my area use the Winchester route for Carlisle and Hershey. Personally I prefer the Baltimore/Route 301 route. The Winchester route is 40-50 further to Carlisle butless traffic. It is longer than that to Hershey from my home since Carlisle is west of Hershey; but then Richmond is west of where I am.

Mike. I went through Hershey on business today & stopped at HQ for a few minutes. Folks there said the Richmond Meet info should be going out early-to-midddle of next week.<P>Earl. Thanks for the Baltimore/Rt.301 input. That's the one I want to try and sell to the convoy folks, however, Winchester may accomodate folks coming from the west. We'll decide in time.<P>Regards, Peter. smile.gif" border="0 <P>This is reminding me of the old comedy: "How the West was Won". There was the great scene where, in the fog, the Indians came from the North, the Cavalry from the South, the Wagon Train from the East and a gigantic collision occurred in the fog. (Wheels flying, head dresses, cannons, etc.)<P>In our case, that's why I drive a Triumph...just slide under all the wrecked trailers, dust off, and keep on going. grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Peter J Heizmann ]

Hey Folks,<BR>We really don't care which way you come but don't repeat that movie scene, we just want yall to come on down now, you hear!! Remember, we have finally recognized that the war is over and it is perfectly safe. You are correct on the mailings of the registrations, had been getting calls from all over about it, National was to receive them from printer on the 8th and then the 9th. Hopefully they have them in hand now and they will go out as soon as they can stuff the envelopes and mail them.

Okay Dayton. Judy and I are going to trailer the '48 Buick up to Hiawassee from Florida, and then take him back to Montross. Because of other complications I can't be there Friday night, but we're driving up to Richmond early on Saturday morning in the '48 Buick. Don't let it rain in Richmond!! It's only one hour and fifteen minutes to Mechanicsville. Can't wait, it'll be our granddaughters first old car show. Please tell Reggie and all the other guys from Richmond not to forget the Northern Neck Region Annual show on May 11 in Warsaw. Hope you can make it this year too. We're also coming up for that one.<p>[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

Earl<BR>Glad you can make it to the Spring Meet on Sat. anyway. Yes I am coming to Northern Neck Meet on 5/11, never could make the fall meets. There is a parade in the Bon Air area of Richmond which is near Reggie's home on the 11th. He has carried the lady who headed up the parade for years in one of his cars and is doing it again. Many of our members participate in that yearly. I have been promoting your meet at our regular meetings.<BR>Did you notice Reggie's car on the cover of the March issue of Antique Auto?

Dayton: Yes, I did see Reggie's car on the cover of the new magazine (they forwarded it to me from the Montross PO). Beautiful car -I think it was the one done in California. We had to do something on the date for our Meet, as there are only so many weekends in September. Shenandoah said they planned to keep the Apple Blossom where it is for the forseeable future. Judy will drive to the National modern with our granddaughter and leave after the "Cars & It's Parts" program for the kids and go back to Montross to dress. I'll drive the '48 back at 3 PM and we'll return with our granddaughter for the banquet. We're really excited about the Meet being close enough to us to do that. I hope you have 1200 cars at least. It's been a long time since Richmond Region had a National Meet in 1955, but I also know you guys can do the job right.<p>[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]