propeller shaft seals

Tom_Tams

The other thread http://forums.aaca.org/f115/propeller-shaft-320469.html

Without the group number was unsure what seal you were after

As Danny, comment, walk into a industrial bearing suppler:- not a car parts shop. Will also be a a lot cheaper

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Hi Danny, I tried using the sizes you gave me, didn't matter, he used his calipers and surprise, surprise he could find no matches. This was an industrial bearing supplier. I guess maybe the work ethic is a little stronger where you are or the reference data is. Thanks anyway, it should have worked.

• 7 years later...
I read this topic and  found that some have found a replacement seal by going to a bearing supplier and replacing seals by size.   I tried to do this online, in trying to do so, I learned the OD of seal 130831, listed in my parts book and depicted above in danhar's post, is incorrect.   The OD is listed as 29/32", it should be listed as 1 29/32".  I didn't dig my seals out of storage, I just went off the dimensions in my parts book.  Which are the same dimensions depicted above for seal 1308321.  
With the OD listed as 29/32" (and my lack of knowledge how number of parts needed are depicted in the parts book) it lead me to assume the listed ID of 1  17/32"  didn't mean "one inch and 17/32" it  meant "one part needed with a 17/32" ID".   
I just dug my seal out of my stash, and my measurements are consistent with  1 17/32" ID 1 29/32" OD x 1/4".   Hopefully, this information may save others some time and frustration.  If anyone knows the part number of suitable seals, please post them or PM me.  I am not looking for NOS, I am trying to find new seals with new rubber, in leu  of NOS with rubber that is up to 80 years old.  

• 11 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, markewebb '39 Buick Team said:
I read this topic and  found that some have found a replacement seal by going to a bearing supplier and replacing seals by size.   I tried to do this online, in trying to do so, I learned the OD of seal 130831, listed in my parts book and depicted above in danhar's post, is incorrect.   The OD is listed as 29/32", it should be listed as 1 29/32".  I didn't dig my seals out of storage, I just went off the dimensions in my parts book.  Which are the same dimensions depicted above for seal 1308321.  
With the OD listed as 29/32" (and my lack of knowledge how number of parts needed are depicted in the parts book) it lead me to assume the listed ID of 1  17/32"  didn't mean "one inch and 17/32" it  meant "one part needed with a 17/32" ID".   
I just dug my seal out of my stash, and my measurements are consistent with  1 17/32" ID 1 29/32" OD x 1/4".   Hopefully, this information may save others some time and frustration.  If anyone knows the part number of suitable seals, please post them or PM me.  I am not looking for NOS, I am trying to find new seals with new rubber, in leu  of NOS with rubber that is up to 80 years old.  

The part numbers are:130821 and 130822.  They are not the same as one is front and one is rear.  I could not find these seals in 1968 anywhere, so good luck on that.  I have one front seal and several rear seals left.  Some are rubber in metal and some are leather in metal.  That is hare on all I have.  Soon, I intend to replace the differential and it will come with the rear torque tube.  I'm not planning to trust that old used front bearing and seals.  In 1968 I found several in a junkyard building in Laurel, MD.  Good luck on that now.  I've bought every one I've seen on eBay over the years.  I don't know if soaking the seals in oil will soften the leather and/or rubber or not.  That works on cork.  I have collected a number of Hyatt bearings for the front of the rear axle.  I couldn't get that in a bearing house in Baltimore in 1968, so, again I've bought every one I ever found on eBay.  I still have several.  I've restored my car plus a three other 1939's I've had over the years and have now sold.  I could sell a bearing or two, but no seals I don't think.  At least not until I finish this current job.  IF ANY OF YOU FIND modern, fresh seals that will satisfactorilly replacce 130821 and/or 130822, please let me know.