1932 Speedster Custom for 2012 Great Race

project61

I am now deep into a winter project, building a vintage speedster on a '32-50 chassis, to be done by June for running the Great Race (this year - a lap of the Great Lakes). Being part engineer, part artist, and wholly looney; I have decided to make it a coachbuilt special: boat-tail with twin head fairings and pontoon fairings. Why not? I offer this blog (with pix) on the project, for those interested:

The Great Race John Corey

And I welcome all good advice and relevant spare parts contributions! Thanks to those who have already lent their support (you know who you are)!

jc

post-48424-143138794942_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THe race website is (cleverly) The Great Race. IF you're areal glutton for punishment, you can follow the blog there on this speedster project at:

The Great Race John Corey

So far, the chassis is nearly done. The cowl and hood are roughly in place. The floorboards and doorposts are cut (ash wood), and the door skins are partly modified to fit. Moving right along!

jc

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking project. Looks like a 33 Buick grille. Corky Coker also has a Buick Speedster, built by Tom McRae, the Great American Race founder.

Go Buicks!

Do forget to be working on the navigation too. The car will get you there, but Navigation wins!

Paul Dobbin, Retire Graeat Racer

2 year Driver in a 34 Ford, 1984 & 1987

9 year Navigator in a 35 Chrysler Airflow, 88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95 & 2001

Thanks, Paul! This will be my 3rd GR. In prior years ('06 and '11) I ran my 61 Imperial convertible. My trusty navigator is almost trained at this point!

You're right, the grille is a modified '33. The hood cowl and doors are from a '35 (with lots of adjustments). All junk parts (no whole Buicks were harmed in the building of this Special). I know Corky's car well - it is part of the inspiration for this one! If you like, follow the project's progress on the greatrace site, where I've been doing month-by-month blog updates (The Great Race John Corey). I took the nearly-finished chassis to the local BCA chapter meet this past weekend. These mechanical-braked structures are pretty unfamiliar to most these days! It was fun for them to see an me to explain all the interesting engineering that is often hidden in a finished show car.

jc

John,

Wish I had known the car would be there. I would have driven over. I have to see if you might be available when I come up to scout out our "tour" for the Regional.

Glad you could explain it to them all-in-all, they are rather simply mechanical principals, but for so many into the electronic age, it seems quite stange. I told me wife, at our age, if we buy a car newer than a 2010, I am going to have to hire a driver that knows how to push all the buttons (or talk to the car, like some.)

John