Turbo Your DB!

MikeC5

Ive bought stuff for pennies on the dollar considering what I could re-sell it for it I chose too and of course have paid stupid money for stuff that would be consider worthless the next day. It all depends on whos looking along with me.

Its tough to put an accurate price on anything is my point

Didn't get the air cleaner. Didn't need that part, even though the guy I got it from probably has it. All I needed was the Exhaust manifold itself. The guy I purchased it from has the whole truck, a 1927 Dodge Brothers, Flat Bed, and is selling it as is. Says it's complete (except for the manifold). Said he would part it out. I can get info if you need anything.

I would post a picture of the manifold, but don't remember how you do it. : )

Click on the go advanced tab, its next to the post quick reply that you are already using. When you click on that scroll down the page a bit and you will see a box that says manage attachments, click on that, a small window will appear, click on browse and you can choose from there where your pictures need to be taken from.

Click on the pic, hit up-load and if the pict. is not too big it will load onto your message, if you dont get an error within a few seconds than you know its ok to go ahead and post.

Hopefully this is clear

Juan, looks to be in great shape and you got the heat stove and air intake pipe...I think it was a good deal,heck I would have bought it for a spare and I don't need one. The mani to exhaust pipe connection appears to have been modified (more modern flange bolt together) has been welded??to the nut. Originally there should only be the nut which slips up the exhaust pipe and then threaded onto the manifold. The nut has knotches to unscrew it....a real buster...mine was on for 10 years,211 miles driven,took hours to remove.I think your mod. is a good idea. Bill

Edited by Texacola (see edit history)

You are probably right about being modified, my current set-up is not welded. and the nut with notches had to be reproduced when we did the rest as we could not find a replacement for the original. Hope we don't have a hard time getting this one off. If worse comes to worse I guess we can cut the exhaust pipe and weld our pipe onto the replacement. Although we are pretty sure we can get it off.

I have always had problems getting the exhaust pipe "nut" off, so when I can't get it off I hacksaw at an angle across the threaded area almost all the way through. Then I gently pop it the rest of the way apart with a hammer and chisel. Then it unscrews easy. After the threads are all cleaned up and if the "nut" is good, I screw it back on the manifold (usually on a spare manifold not on the car) and tack weld it together. Then carefully weld it back together so as not to burn through into the threads. Or of course, ROMARS and Myers also sell new "nuts".

@Jason

Yea, that was the plan, once I saw that it worked, just never got around to doing that. I figured that if it worked OK, I rarely opened the hood, so no one would know anyway. Then I found a replacement and forgot about making it look better. But all in all it works pretty good, at least on short trips.....

• 2 weeks later...

Juan..... is your truck (nice truck by the way) a '27 GB. Looks like GB not DB doors? My '27 series.9/26 DB doors have one raised body feature (whatever you call it,usually a belt line on a car I guess) but yours has two,one high like a DB and a second lower one like GB's have. You have a "C" motor like mine so I assume we're in the same series. Did they change the door profile on later '27 DB's. Bill

Hi Juan,

I see Coolie Blue is listed as an original color for 26-27 touring cars. Was it just weird lighting in that one photo that makes it look purple? How about in person? I like it when it appears blue but purple would not look right... (I'm trying to decide on a color for my '25 touring car and would prefer to use something close to factory colors).

Thanks.

Juan, I imagine you are delighted with the result!

Mike, I too would like to change the colour of my 1926 tourer which at present is all white, lined out with blue. O.k. for a wedding car, but little else. Being a novice where Dodge Brothers are concerned I would be grateful if perhaps someone could tell me if there is some data available to club members or do we just have to try to find some scrap of original paint?

Ray.

@DWOLLAM

Dave, the Paddy Wagon is actually Blue and Black. The blue was called Cooley Blue. I researched it back when we did the rest, around 1987 or so and found that they used Cooley Blue on special orders. When we they were doing the rest we found a couple of places on the body panels where we could still see the original color and it was Blue, so we assumed that Cooley Blue was the correct color.

Here is a picture were you can see the Blue. This was taken at the Solvang Windmills Car Show 2011.

post-36483-143138817098_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike. Yes, that was TOO easy - I should try thinking for myself sometimes!

A question which is often asked these days is whether the paint is still available in nitro cellulose. The E.U. have recently stopped it's sale. Can you can still buy it freely in the States?

Ray.

Thanks Juan and Mike.

I have always done my own resprays but now it is getting more difficult (although not impossible) to get hold of nitro. I take safety seriously, but with modern two pack and more recently, water based products which contain cyanide, it just isn't worth the risks. I enjoy spray painting and although my set up is home made (including dryer etc.) I do get some pretty good results with cellulose - it is more forgiving than modern paint and allthough not as hard, it has the right look.

Ray.

Bill (Texacola), The best I can tell you is that I am no expert either. When I first started the reiteration project back in 1987 all the research I did showed that it was a Dodge Brothers. It was registered as a 28, even though the serial number showed it came off the assembly line in late 1927. I will be honest with you. All indicators told me Dodge, it had the Hub Caps with the DB logo, it had the original DB Emblem for the hood, so I expect it is a DB. I don't know anything about the doors and the single versus double horizontal ribs. You say it's a 3/4 ton, I was under the impression that it was a 1/4 ton utility vehicle, at least that was what I was told. I was informed, by a good source that it was called the Dodge Brother's Four Screen Express Van and that it was considered a 1/4 ton Utility Truck. Other than that I can not attest to anything else. I am open to any info that anyone has to offer. I am still trying to find it's heritage from the factory to who originally purchased it. Again, I was told that it had originally been a U.S. Army vehicle and that it had been sold at Surplus. I would like to find out where it did it's service. I suspect that it was sold some where near Goleta, CA in Santa Barbara County. I know that we had a Camp built just north of Goleta in the area of Dos Pueblos Canyon, along Hwy 1. The camp was to be used for the displaced Japanese citizens, but I don't think it was ever used, mostly because of the Torpedo that was allegedly shot along the beach area of where Ellwood Ranch comes out to the Pacific Ocean. We also had a U.S. Army Camp in northern SB County, Camp Cook, what is now Vandenberg AFB. Just north of SB County, in San Luis Obispo there is Camp Roberts (still there) and Camp San Luis, also still there. So I am guessing that it probably came from one of those places. I just don't think that a Goleta Rancher would go too far and drive a truck back home at a top speed of 48 MPH. Anyway, keep in touch. Always open for any info you might bring. Juan

For what its worth Juan there was no such thing as 1/4 ton D.B ( or Graham ) truck that I am aware of. Just at a quick glance if you have a 116 inch wheelbase than it would be a 3/4 ton and if its a 108 wheelbase than its a 1/2 ton. Both carried the 124 engine.

Please get back with me and tell me which you have so that I can note it. Thanks