1922-1926 Dodge Brothers 12v - Fan Belt

Guest scliim

The fan belt on my old '26 Dodge Business Coupe wore out and I need to find a replacement.

The person I bought the car from had a modern v-belt on there and it seems to have done the trick but the rubber is so dry that the belt finaly broke.

I want to find something closer to the original belt required however none of the manuals I've found give any dimensions of what I need to purchase for the car. I found the site 'myersearlydodge.com' ... Myers Early Dodge

This website shows a fan belt for 1922-1926 DB's, that is 1in. x 34 3/4in. However I measured the distance around both pully wheels with a piece of string and it measures exaclty 40". Don't want to spend $25 for something that won't fit.

Has anyone purchased fan belts from this site? Any fan belt suggestions or advice for helping me get this resolved so I can get back on the road?

Did you adjust the fan all the way down before you measured? I buy a 36" belt for my 24-27 DB's. Are you sure yours is a 26? Reason I ask is the late 1927 124 fast four engines require a 40" belt. I just bought new ones for my 2 124 cars. Had to get serpentine belts that are 40 1/2" long. I just noticed you say it is a 12 volt engine. That should be about 36" or maybe the 34 3/4" when adjusted down. Gates Vintage belt part number 822 is 36" . You can get them through any place the sells Gates products.

I had a 69 R.R with the 440, guy before used it as a drag car, the rear end was locked so it made alot of noise and ate the tires driving around town. Kind of a slug in my opinion. I had a 66 belvedere with a 413 in it that would have spanked that R.R any day of the week.

I have never driven a hemi car and prob. never will. The older I get though the less it seems important.

OK Guys...back on topic here...

I followed Rick and Dave's advice and went to Advanced Auto and purchased a 'Drive Rite' v-ribbed belt, #360K5...36"x3/4"wide....

I got home from work and loosened the fan pulley, put on the new belt, adjusted the fan position and tightened everything up. My son and I started her up and the fan was spinning away...however it was kind of noisy, so stopped the engine and checked the oil cap over the fan bearing. It has some old grease in it but poured in a squirt of motor oil and put the cap back on. Tried everything again and the noise went away and everything looked and sounded good.

We backed her out of the garage and went for a spin around the neighborhood. After we parked back in the garage, we checked under the hood and everything looked good. Whoohoo...back on the road... now go check out my updates to the thread regarding the Cowl lights....

Great! Now clean that old grease out and fill it with new grease. Give the cap a half turn or so every now and then. If grease starts getting all over things, don't twist it so much or so often. Don't tighten the belt like new cars or you will wear out the bushing real fast. All the belt does is spin the fan.

Will Do. Over Thanksgiving I obtained one of my father's old grease guns but the tube of grease was old and beat up.

Im going to start a new thread regarding what type of grease to use.

I know I'm asking lots of questions but hopefully they are thing that other new DB'rs can benefit from...

• 11 years later...
7 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

My 1923 Dodge Roadster has a braided string fan belt. The one I got when I bought the car might be NOS as it is still in perfect condition. Because I wanted to ensure the water pump was being powered by a belt which provided the most traction, I bought a flat, rubber, nearly exact replacement belt from McGuire Bearing, and it works perfect……and the cloth belt is stored with the tool kit in the cars trunk.

Jack

Fan belt does not turn the water pump. It just turns the fan...In this case it really is a "fan belt"! 

Last Saturday, I drove my 1948 Ford F2 (3/4 ton with 3 speed) on a club outing. The shift pattern is the reverse of my 1920 which I drive more than the Ford, so I kept putting it in reverse instead of 1st. :) LOL Now I will have to relearn the Dodge!