65 Riv Project Downunder

fatbuick

Dear friends,

As some of you know we had a 3 week holiday in the USA and just got back on Monday.

We thoroughly enjoyed the parts we visited and the people we met:

Dallas TX, NYC, Vegas, LA and San Diego

We were lucky to coincide with the Texas State Fair in Dallas, experienced uncharacteristically freezing weather in NYC and the Halloween Parade. It was all great fun and SEMA was huge of course.

It was also good to catch up with a couple of ROA members and we thank them for their hospitality, Scott and Debbie Malany in Dallas TX and Dick and Debbie Sweeney in Alpine CA.

Anyway, before we left I took the recently purchased 65 Riviera to my favorite restorer Wally's Panel & Paint for a quote to get rid of the crappy black imitation vinyl roof. Well, he offered me such a good deal I decided to get the whole car done. I know he'll do a great job because he painted the Boattail and the Wildcat for me.

Click here to see the progress shots if you're interested.

Keep the link as I'm sure to update the gallery as we make progress.

Tony,

I took a closer look at the pictures after Jason commented on the spring boosters. Not to fear, my '64 has them on the left side as well - time for new springs for mine.

But now I'm confused. The first pictures show the car with the hood mounted tach, 63/64 horse shoe moldings, some aluminum wheels, and all sorts of window decals. The pictures in the middle show the car without the tach, horse shoe moldings, and it's riding on what appears to be Torq-thrust wheels. Then the last pictures show the body stripped of all paint and the vinyl top.

Did you do something to the car between taking delivery and taking it down to bare metal for repaint?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Hi Jason and Ed,

I'd never seen those twist-in things before and thought "what a great idea" but I will be looking for new springs 2" lower and a bit stiffer. I've seen a few threads recently on the subject but haven't had time to follow up.

When I first got the car it had all the extras including pinstriping etc and I tediously took all that and the tacho off, buffed the paint and those are the middle pictures. The wheels in the first pictures were chrome after-market wheels the owner had on the car but it was delivered with rallye wheels at my request which I have sold.

I didn't intend on having it repainted so soon. I thought I would just get the roof painted because it wasn't true vinyl and then do the whole car in a year or so.

It will be a very mild custom.

Have you guys ever heard of rear air shocks for a 65 Riv and has anyone ever made air shocks for the front. It would be great to lower the car about 3" all round but with the ability to raise and lower a few inches when needed. A couple of small compressors could be mounted somewhere to do this.

Tony,

I have OE air shocks on the rear of my '63, but they were installed by the PO in order to level the car when he hitched his Airstream trailer to it. You don't want to control the height with air shocks (that will just make the car ride rough,) you'll want to "bag" it; replaace the coils with air bladders; the kits come with everything you need.

Here's the first company that appeared when I Googled it.

Dealer_E-Mail_Ad_120409

From what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking that the springs of choice are part of a Jamco lowering kit.

Ed

"raw steel look" - i thought the same. then someone way more practical than me here at work commented on how annoying it would be to look at a car like that when it's in the sun !

great to see these pics with all the cars "guts" on display e.g. with fenders and door skins off.... would be good to have detailed close-ups of some of these sections, but maybe too late ?

Guest carlbraun
"raw steel look" - i thought the same. then someone way more practical than me here at work commented on how annoying it would be to look at a car like that when it's in the sun !

great to see these pics with all the cars "guts" on display e.g. with fenders and door skins off.... would be good to have detailed close-ups of some of these sections, but maybe too late ?

I saw one of the stainless steel 1936 Ford DeLuxe cars that Henry Ford had made as a promo car for the Stainless Steel manufacturers of the day i.e. Allegheny Ludlum, etc. I think it was offered at one of the Mecum auctions and it was polished to the hilt. (No sale at $880K). Under the lights it looked like something from the heavens.

Check out the short article here:

1936 Ford Model 68 Tudor Deluxe Sedan (stainless steel) - THE H.A.M.B.

"raw steel look" - i thought the same. then someone way more practical than me here at work commented on how annoying it would be to look at a car like that when it's in the sun!

At the Goodguys show in Scottsdale last weekend there was a 36 Ford painted all over with the chrome paint we have seen used on "Street Customs". Non-participant entrance was through one of the big tents with manufacturer's displays. This car was positioned so it was the first car you saw coming into the exhibitor area out of that tent. Very, very bright in the Arizona sun. Wouldn't want to drive this down the highway on a sunny day.

• 3 months later...
At the Goodguys show in Scottsdale last weekend there was a 36 Ford painted all over with the chrome paint we have seen used on "Street Customs". Non-participant entrance was through one of the big tents with manufacturer's displays. This car was positioned so it was the first car you saw coming into the exhibitor area out of that tent. Very, very bright in the Arizona sun. Wouldn't want to drive this down the highway on a sunny day.

Tony, love the interior. Keep the pictures coming.

I found a picture of the 36 Ford described above. Bright is an understatement.

post-53315-143138893012_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Many updates to the 65 Project Gallery:

click here to see the progress shots

Front & Rear Sway Bars

Lot's of black powder coating

Overhauled 15:1 ratio steering gear and pump

New Alternator, water pump and polished SS bolts

Conversion from dual quads to 800 cfm Quadrajet - over 18mpg on a trip

Dual Master Cylinder Conversion

Cool Headlight Sequence Pictures

Like "WOW" man! I love the interior color and the way it fills the entire passenger compartment.

Just enough subtle touches to say "It's mine" but not enough to take away from the original concept.

It's hard to believe that is the same car that had all the window decals, etc. Amazing vision and transformation.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since my last update.

I've been enjoying driving and working on the 65 and gradually doing all the things on my list to make the improvements I envisaged.

I've converted a spare distributor to HEI. I haven't noticed much difference yet but am also experimenting with different weights and springs to bring all advance in earlier at about 2000 rpm.

3) Had to have whitewall tyres so got them put on by RedVan's mobile service. I think it highlights the mag wheels and even makes them look bigger.

4) The drive shaft has been squeaking since the Tasmanian Buick Nationals trip but only in reverse or downhill in a low gear. It turned out to be the universal joints. Some were dry and chewed out as you'll see on the gallery.

5) After buying some extra console parts I have modified the ash tray section to take a water and oil gauge. Thanks for the idea Tom Kunek.

I should be upgrading to custom-made Bilstein shocks in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to that.

If anyone is interested in more details on any of the items please drop me a line.

Click here to see the gallery shots.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

• 1 month later...

Tony,

The interior struck me as well. I am redoing mine and that tan might be an option for me. I see it is 9AM and 81 F., a perfect day for a ride.

5 PM and 30 F. here, perfect time for sleeping cars

post-46237-143139328103_thumb.jpg

Your pictures remind me of the sprucing up that is on my schedule. Thanks for putting up the link.

Bernie